Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So currently I only have the Daemons Battalion and a Herald of Tzeentch.

Hearald of Tzeentch

10 Plaguebearers
10 Bloodletters

3 Screamers
3 Nurglings
5 Seekers

What can I do to build this army up into a 1500 force that I can expand on into the future? I've got the rulebook here but I'm not too sure what is competitive since this is my first delve into Fantasy as there is a friendly league starting.

I'm eventually looking to build into a Mono-Nurgle in the future, although at the moment I'm just wanting to get a force on the table as quickly and cheaply (and not instant lose) as possible.

·
Registered
483 Posts
It's tough to make a decent list w/ what's in the battalion, IMHO. If you want to build it up, I'd add more plaguebearers for the core. At least one box if not 2. Maybe even get a unit of horrors as the unit counts as a wizard as well and you get that extra chance to channel. The bloodletters might work as a chaff unit. M5 and S5 on the charge is nothing to sniff at but their T3 may make them a liability if you face a lot of shooting.

I'd get another screamer box as well. If you intend on using Lore of Tzeentch you can add to the unit. If you go Lore of Metal then you can always run 2 units of 3 or 1 unit of 4-6.

The seekers aren't bad. They're speedy as all getup but super fragile.

If you are planning on going mono-Nurgle, you'll need a lot more plaguebearers to fill the Core slot.

In special, Beasts of Nurgle are an excellent choice as well. Run one larger group and then 1 or 2 solo. A unit or 2 of Furies w/ Mark of Nurgle will help get to the warmachines and chaff. Nurglings are ok but they've lost a bit since last book and aren't what they used to be. They can scout so could help out w/ warmaching/chaff.

Rare - I've heard lots of good things about the plague drones. High T, monstrous cav, & hover (fly but can't march) make them a pretty mobile unit ... in Nurgle terms at least. :p

Characters - Everybody loves Poppy! A Great Unclean One is your best bet for a lvl 4 caster and only at higher point games. Daemon Princes can be iffy as they don't have all the protection that a WoC DP can get. Heralds of Nurgle have great S & T plus the ability to give your Core the ability to poison on a 5+ or 4+ regen is great. At lower point games the magic level is a must IMO. I've played 1K games where my opponent brought a lvl 4! Yeah, that hurt ...

The big weaknesses for Nurgle are the low I and lack of speed. Some of the units can help mitigate that but your plaguebearers will be doing a lot of slogging. One unit w/ the Banner of Swiftness usually isn't a bad idea. It's a nice little surprise if you're playing closed lists.

Hope that helps! :victory:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'd add more plaguebearers for the core. At least one box if not 2. Maybe even get a unit of horrors as the unit counts as a wizard as well and you get that extra chance to channel. The bloodletters might work as a chaff unit. M5 and S5 on the charge is nothing to sniff at but their T3 may make them a liability if you face a lot of shooting.

I'd get another screamer box as well. If you intend on using Lore of Tzeentch you can add to the unit. If you go Lore of Metal then you can always run 2 units of 3 or 1 unit of 4-6.
What unit sizes tend to be the best options in regards to DoC? There have been loads of posts ranging from 10, 19 to 40 and it's always confusing!

Would I be best off doing, say two units of 15 Plaguebearers or another split/mass?

Fake Edit - here is a list that isn't too much more but seems like it should work, comes out as 1495pts.

Heroes
Hearald of Tzeentch - Wizard 2
Hearald of Nurgle - Wizard 1

Core
30 Plaguebearers
10 Bloodletters
10 Pink Horrors

Special
5 Screamers
3 Beasts of Nurgle

Rare
3 Plague Drones

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sizes that work will depend on your play style and the size of the game. I run the following list @ 1K:
Herald of Slaanesh w/ Lvl 1, Greater Locus of Swiftness, Lesser Gift - 200
30 Daemonettes w/ Full Command, Banner of Swiftness - 375
11 Horrors - 143
5 Flesh Hounds w/ Ambush - 165
8 Furies w/ Daemon of Slaanesh - 112

I take the larger block of Daemonettes because they're so fragile and I want enough bodies by the time I get to combat. I go for only the 11 Horrors because they're only a support unit who, more than likely, will just take the default spell if I can't get one of the bigger direct damage spells. The hounds are a smaller unit because they are T4, fast, can come on where I want, and have 2W. Furies are smaller again because they're just a support unit that will go after small units/warmachines.

I think you did a good job w/ the list you made. The only differences I'd make (and this is just personal preference):
1) Drop one beast to give the HoN a locus and/or gift(s).
2) Give the bearers a full/partial command and magic banner. Banner of Swiftness will help them get to combat faster. Gleaming Pennant or Standard of Discipline for helping w/ Ld checks. Granted they don't have to take them except for break tests but Ld 8 isn't that great. You'll probably have to finagle bearer numbers to get some of that to work.
3) I don't know which HoT model you have, but, if it's the disc mounted one, you could forgo the horror uint to help pay for the Nurgle upgrades listed above. Unless you really like the extra spell/magic user ... then just keep it. If it's just a foot slogger, then keep the horrors as a bunker.

The really nice thing about your list: only one unit isn't plastic - the beasts. :eek:k:

Play around w/ the list some. Change up numbers for the models/unit. Try running the beasts all together, all solo, or a unit of 2 and a unit of 1. Try just a unit of 2. Try 2 solo. Try using the gifts on the HoN (pretty useless for HoT as you don't want him in combat). Try swapping the gift for a magic weapon. And when you find something that works ... RUN 'ER INTO THE GROUND! :grin: Then it'll just be tweaking your tactics per the enemy you face.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm phone posting at the moment but I've had a plan around with the list slightly, someone else mentioned to me about working in the loci, which is new to me since I've not ran fantasy yet.

Kind of given up making everything from the battalion, going to greenstuff the blood letters into plague. Probably also river trolls for the beasts.

HoT - disk, level 2
HoN - lesser loci, banner

20 plague w/full command
10 horrors
10 horrors
10 horrors

3 seekers
3 beasts

3 drones

I think that's what I was looking at, it sounds good in my head yet may fall flat on the table.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You can't just run 3 seekers ... unless you were thinking about fiends. Seekers are daemonettes that ride steeds of Slaanesh. They are fast cav and are min 5 models/unit. Fiends are monstrous beasts and are minimum 3 models/unit. Both are in the Special section.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can't just run 3 seekers ... unless you were thinking about fiends. Seekers are daemonettes that ride steeds of Slaanesh. They are fast cav and are min 5 models/unit. Fiends are monstrous beasts and are minimum 3 models/unit. Both are in the Special section.
Yes you're right it was supposed to be 3 Screamers and the drones have Plague Proboscis to round it out to a neat tidy 1.5k.

Does the Hearald having a banner make the squad it's attached to itself full command or have I got it right that they are both separate entities in that regard?

·
Registered
483 Posts
The HoN would then be the BSB which has other implications. The FC is separate of the BSB. Command models are upgraded from the normal rank and file models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something I've been mulling over is the special/rare choice, in your eyes which is worth more. They come out at the same points cost.

+1 Beast of Nurgle

+3 Plague Drones w/full command, proboscis

OR

+1 Soul Grinder w/Nurgle mark, Claw

Are there any things in particular that may influence your choice?

·
Registered
483 Posts
The first thing that's going to influence my choice is how much you get for the points. You're spending a BIG chunk of points on a grinder. They're not that great but they can hold stuff up w/ T8. Obviously, cannons are going to do them in. I've always been a bit leery of the big guns on that thing. M8, IIRC, should be enough to get it into combat fairly quickly.

I like the beasts a lot. They are fairly utilitarian and can take a lot of punishment. You can have a few running solo or put them all in one large group.

I have yet to use a grinder or the drones as I tend to play a lot of smaller games due to time constraints. I'd like to get some drones to try them out. The grinder ... meh ... I'll live if I never use one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts