Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
For fluff I love the idea, it's just modelling them that puts me off a bit. I'm not sure how I'd do it without it looking a bit inelegant
Previous editions i put in their hands a chainsword and a bolter, pistol-held.
Grenades and pistol where strapped to the waist. pretty easy.
Otherwise pistol + ccw and bolter glued un the powerpack (powerpack sawed a bit on the sides to gain space)

EDIT: Also, changed original post to "definitive" version.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Since there is actualy no reason at all to take units bigger than 10, i figured out a way to make them at least worth considering: more dakka.
SO if you have 15 footsloggers, you have a special more, if you have 20, you get 2 spec. weapons more.
Also, the otpion to have a couple of "hidden" power weapons in big units can be appealing to the guy who likes to infiltrate his mad herds of marines.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I'm not sure that there's no incentive to bring large units of CSM in the current rules - they get much more mileage out of buffs, which is pretty important, and they take morale less often as well as being able to actually be a threatening assault unit. They footslog which is unfortunate, but I think a 20-man unit with Icon of Excess outflanking with a Lord on Steed has mileage.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
I'm not sure that there's no incentive to bring large units of CSM in the current rules - they get much more mileage out of buffs, which is pretty important, and they take morale less often as well as being able to actually be a threatening assault unit. They footslog which is unfortunate, but I think a 20-man unit with Icon of Excess outflanking with a Lord on Steed has mileage.
I think you're right, and the outflank is the best possible use for a 20-man blob. The only shooting they're going to eat before their shooting phase is Interceptor fire, which can be significant depending on the shooter, but after that they should get to unload with their bolters and special weapons at (hopefully) rapid fire range.

A Spartan to move them is cool in theory, but I don't think I'd bother.

I think the ability to take melee weapons as well as special at the standard 1:5/2:10 would be pretty sick, and set them apart from loyalists even further. The price would make it kinda silly to spam weapons, much like Chosen but at a reduced per-model cost that might actually be worthwhile. Sure a group of 5 CSM is going to lose to terminators, but that dude with the hidden power axe may take a couple down before his gets splattered by a fist.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Previous editions i put in their hands a chainsword and a bolter, pistol-held.
Grenades and pistol where strapped to the waist. pretty easy.
Otherwise pistol + ccw and bolter glued un the powerpack (powerpack sawed a bit on the sides to gain space)

EDIT: Also, changed original post to "definitive" version.
Any thoughts?
The bolter in one hand and sword in other is the only idea I like. I've seen models with that set up even using the regular bolter arm so the boltgun is held into the body but instead of the other arm cupping the bottom of the boltgun it's a chainsword arm (holding a sword, obviously). Looked good, should be okay for a couple of guys in the unit. For a bit of variation I might use daggers instead of chainswords for two or three. I've already made one model with a boltgun in one hand and dagger (or gladius) in other (see avatar) and it looks decent. Maybe the other can be holding the bolter into his body and have a reversed grip of the gladius held up

I don't like models with boltguns attached to their powerpack or thigh- it never looks good in my opinion regardless of the paint job. The gun is just too big and sticks out too much. Trimming away some of the power pack sounds good but I can't envisage a way to trim away so much that the boltgun lies flush with the rest of the model

I've definitely been coming around to the first method you mentioned though. I think the trick will be to get a bit of variation going so every model doesn't look quite the same

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I've definitely been coming around to the first method you mentioned though. I think the trick will be to get a bit of variation going so every model doesn't look quite the same
Absolutely. Multipose, differentiation between weapons, head and leg positioning, it's paramount. Otherwise you will just end up looking like regular space marins. And we fucking hate them guys! :laugh:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
of course, but sadly they just trow bodies into the grinder adding really nothing to make up for their presence. I've used them and i can say they will just get bogged down by clever players, stuck in melee that will last 3 turns and leave a battered and useless unit in the end. (i play a lot vs orks and for the same price they can trow at me 60 boyz with no second thought...)
I found that i am better served outflanking 30 cultists with 3 flamers, because they cost a fraction and make up for shitty stats with 10 bodies more. Also noticed that space marines just can't take on something bigger than MEQ and so do Cultists. However, if in that 20 marines unit you could load a couple more special weapons or even better, 2 powerfists... their weight would become unbearable in a melee and they could pose a threat even at range (16 bolters and 4 plasmaguns are going to rape terminators and big infantry blobs alike). So yeah, while 20 outflanking bodies are good, they are just a generic threat due to the lack of specialized weaponry. You get my point :)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts