Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, guys still new here on Heresy, but I dig it so far.

This list is something of an offshoot of a BA list that I only had a handful of points to spend. I decided to toss in a 'Quiz at 74 points with the intent of making DoA semi viable. Then I sorta got obsessed with the 'Quiz idea (used to play pure GK before the Inq dex came out) and here is what I came up with. This is also mostly for fun, but tweaks would be great as long as they keep the feel.

Primary Detachment

HQ
*Grand Master
MC NFS, Psychotrokes, Psybolts, Incinerator---205
*BroChamp
Digital Weapons re-roll re-rolls? why not?---105

Elites
*10 Man Purifier Squad
4 psycannons, Psybolts, 4 Halberds, 1 MC Halberd and digital weapons---320
*VenDred
Heavy Flamer, NDF---175

Troops
*5 man GKT
Psycannon, 4 halberds, psybolts, BroBanner, MC Daemon Hammer on Justicar---275
*10 Man GKSS
2 Psycannons, psybolts, 5 Halberds, 2 NFS, Daemon Hammer on Justicar---270

Fast Attack
*Stormraven I
TLMM, TLAC, Hurricane Bolters---235
*Stormraven II
TLHB, TLLC---205

Secondary Detachment

HQ
*Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
Power Armor, Psyker, Daemonblade, psybolts, Liber Heresius (open to suggestions on weapon here)---96

Elites
*WARBAND I
1 Mystic, 1 Crusader, 5 Acolytes, 2 with SB, 3 with Hot Shot Las Guns---66
*Warband II
1 Mystic, 1 Crusader, 3 Acolytes, 2 with SB, 1 with Bolter==or==1 Mystic, 5 Acolytes all with SB==or==1 Mystic, 7 Acolytes with Bolters (What can I get for 45 points that will keep my mystic alive for two turns?)---45

1999 total

So the idea is to scout Warband I with the 'Quiz using the Liber, and have Warband II move up Warband I's left flank.
Might Combat Squad my Purifiers with 4 psycannons and Daemon Hammer trailing Warband II and 5 Halberds trying to catch up with the 'Quiz (If the Inquisitor survives long enough for the halberd Purifiers to link up, I will have him join them and hack stuff).
Then using Psychic Communion from my OM and/or GM (do we have a definite answer on Psychic Communion from reserves?) have a 4/6 or 5/6 chance to get my Reserves in turn 2 or 3 depending on the opposition. Stormraven I will have my BroChamp and GKTs deepstrike into Warband I's Mystic bubble. Stormraven II will be carrying my VenDred with the intent to deepstrike into Warband II's Mystic bubble. GKSS will deepstrike into Warband II's Mystic bubble with the Grand Master attached.
So the right flank will be very much the swordplay/anti infantry portion while the left will be for shootin stuff hard.
I plan on using unyielding anvil from my GKGM so at least. I need the unit composition as it is with the Warbands so that I can use the stormravens as the transports in the way I want.

Thanks for reading,
Majorian

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I feel like this list is a lot of 'everything I want to do, I can do cheaper, but I used a lot of flash'. Was there a reason to use Purifiers in the list? You can get psycannons on your Strike Squads for cheaper, and have more of them. You can use Purgation squads in the heavy slot, and get Astral Aim if you're going for a serious gun squad.

I'm pretty sure Anointed Weapons have Shred, so Digiweapons are redundant.

You can run Servo Skulls on your GM and Inquisitors, which are cheaper, if not more mobile than the Mystics. Especially since you are not giving them Chimeras with Psyammo (multilaser what?) to make sure they can get where you want them.

I'm not sure about a VenDread either; feels like a LOT of points for the added weapon skill. You're dropping them into combat, reroll or not he wont live very long as your only armor that an opponent will be able to not-snapshot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, that's a very good summary. I had built the list mostly for kicks, but was trying to see how it might be improved to actually have some play. Flash is kinda good sometimes right?

Anyways the BroChamp already has rerolls, but it's only five points for some insurance on the to-wound rolls (I'll have a total of 3).

Had started with Servo Skulls, but scatter free Deepstrike is something I just really like, especially considering the points invested in the Stromravens. If someone gets within 6", just kinda scary. Maxed out servo skull capacity actually costs slightly more than the two mystics. But yeah area coverage is nice, I bet I can manage with some very careful placing. Any suggestions on warband makeup? Although I think I would like to keep just one mystic in the 'Quiz's retinue just in case.

Inquisition codex has no psyammo otherwise I would have it.

lemme see how much the points cost is with Purgators, and I might just slap a chimera onto the list, which I had wanted to originally.

VenDred is expensive, but I've had some righteous success in the past, and the model I painted up was one of my first models to paint so it's gotta stay. Plus that's a turn they aren't shooting at my Stormravens right?

Anyways, thank you for the quick response. Overall do you think the list could be turned into a somewhat competitive build?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I'm paying for Astral Aim, but swapping a purgation squad actually costs 5 points more for the same loadout as the purifiers.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Purifiers pay for an extra attack and cleansing flame... close combat options for a fire support squad. Purgation squads at least get astral aim.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I just feel like the cost is just really high. I mean 5 purgators and 4 psycannons with psbolt ammo is 200 points. I just haven't had that much luck with astral aim in the past, and it seems really steep for that. Plus combat squad with the halberds could easily benefit from the extra attack, especially with the 'Quiz. I'm not trying to sound stubborn, so sorry if I come across that way.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I apologize, I just realized you double posted before and I totally missed your longer one.

First, you can never reroll a reroll. Its in the BRB. So the digiweapons remain useless.

I was pretty sure the inq dex gives psyammo as a vehicle upgrade for the chimeras, I just don't have it in front of me. I was using it for a Thousand sons counts as... another story for another day. I can check again late tonight.

If you're combat squading the purifiers, then its a nice idea. Especially if you put the DivQuiz in for rerolls of that many psycannons. A razorback for the other half would get them in position nice and fast.

Acolytes can take plasma guns. Expensive, but AP2... otherwise, stack death cult assassins w/ a priest and a crusader to tank, and use the raven to drop them into a target that needs to be blended.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries.

Ah, yes you're right, InqDex Chimeras can take psybolts. I don't know what I would drop other than the VenDred to make room for the chimeras, but it might be a very good idea, to bump the list up from fun to competitive.

Probably gonna go with 2 plasma acolyte squads. I actually have a squad with the DCA and priest and crusader, it was just too expensive, for what I wanted to do. Might reevaluate with the idea of dropping the dred...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Its just a matter of role in the battle. For something like 75 points you can have a DCA kill squad that can rip through lots of stuff, and can jump out of the 'raven. The dreadnought is assault based, but... it shines pounding on massive targets, or tanks etc.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I couldn't help myself, and just started putzing with some lists. Found one major flaw: Can't have the DCAs jumping out of a 'raven unless the Inquisitor is on the GK list, because you can't use allied transports. So that's out. So instead.....

Primary: Grey Knights

Brotherhood Champion

Purifiers
9+1, 4 Psycannons, Psyammo, 4 Halberds, 1 Sword, Knight w/ MC Halberd & Digiweapons

Strike Squad
9+1, 2 Psycannons, Psyammo, Razorback w/ PsyHvyBolter

Strike Squad
9+1, 2 Psycannons, Psyammo, Razorback w/ PsyHvyBolter

Stormraven Gunship
Lascannon, MM

Nemesis Dreadknight
PT, Greatsword, Hvy Incinerator

Secondary: Inquisition

OM Inquisitor
Power Armor, Hellrifle, Force Sword, Mastery level 1 (Divination), 3 Servo Skulls

OM Inquisitor
Power Armor, Hellrifle, Force Sword, Mastery level 1 (Divination), 3 Servo Skulls

Inq Henchmen
Acolyte w/ Plasma Gun (x3), Crusader x2, Jokaero Weaponsmith, Chimera with PsyHeavyBolter

Inq Henchmen
Acolyte w/ Plasma Gun (x3), Crusader x2, Jokaero Weaponsmith, Chimera with PsyHeavyBolter

It's similar to your list, but a little different. You lost the Terminators, but gained another full Strike Squad, so you earned more attacks, but they're less durable. More firepower, too. You're using Combat Squads basically, letting 5 men footslog/hold back/deepstrike while running 5 in the Razorbacks. Their heavy bolters are better than normal, but not too expensive to be wasted points when they pop.

Your Brotherhood Champion goes into the 'raven with the Halberd half of your Purifiers, making a very powerful CC 6-man squad, while the one sword Purifier hangs out with 4 psycannons as a brutal Devestator squad wherever things just HAVE to get shot up.

Two Chimeras rush forward with your wonderful fire support squads. You could probably fine tune them a bit here; I gave you 3 plasma in each, and a space monkey to hopefully boost the squad; usually I'd go with 2 but couldn't find enough points. Crusaders literally act as meat shields once they're out of their transports. Each squad gets your Inquisitor, who has his own mean gun (could swap for a combi plas if desired), and with Divination, you get to reroll those pesky Gets Hot! issues.

Oh, and a Dreadknight, doing what a Dreadknight does best. With the PT, he can keep up with everything else.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dig it. I would really like to use 2 stormravens, just because that is a whole lot of points just to deliver 6 models, and I have a brand new box, i'm itchin to build and field I don't really like jokaero, but even if they fail. to boost you still have laz fire. Had been considering running 2 Inqs in lieu of the dred. I'm on a break at work, will redo my list and have revisions up tonight!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, a few concerns.

I don't think I can split my purifiers that way because of combat squads and reserves. So I'd have to put all my Purifiers in the Raven, which I'd be happy doing with incinerators. I just think Psycannons are a better thing all around. I don't wanna risk getting the psycannons into CC, especially if I'm using 5 Purifiers as a CC/psyammo buffed, retinue (which I'm going to do).

Also, combat squads and deepstriking again same as before. Not a huge problem, but I've been wanting to get a deepstrike army to work in my meta for a while, but who knows. I probably won't even be able to play many 2k games. I could possibly just have the Razors as cover for my chimeras/disembarked dakka.

Alternatively, I could run a DCA squad out of a raven, by just taking a Quiz from the GK book as I wouldn't have the grandmaster taking up the HQ slot. Mulching at the expense of scoring.

Is there any value in considering a Valkyrie?

Still tweaking, more revisions and questions to come.

Thanks for your input thus far!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, I feel like I might give up slay the warlord too easily with these HQ choices...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Ok, a few concerns.

I don't think I can split my purifiers that way because of combat squads and reserves. So I'd have to put all my Purifiers in the Raven, which I'd be happy doing with incinerators. I just think Psycannons are a better thing all around. I don't wanna risk getting the psycannons into CC, especially if I'm using 5 Purifiers as a CC/psyammo buffed, retinue (which I'm going to do).

Also, combat squads and deepstriking again same as before. Not a huge problem, but I've been wanting to get a deepstrike army to work in my meta for a while, but who knows. I probably won't even be able to play many 2k games. I could possibly just have the Razors as cover for my chimeras/disembarked dakka.

Alternatively, I could run a DCA squad out of a raven, by just taking a Quiz from the GK book as I wouldn't have the grandmaster taking up the HQ slot. Mulching at the expense of scoring.

Is there any value in considering a Valkyrie?

Still tweaking, more revisions and questions to come.

Thanks for your input thus far!
You Combat Squad before deployment. So to answer both issues, why couldn't you put half in a transport and half in deep strike, or half on the table, or half reserves? We can bring the questions to other people, but I'd bet lunch that you can split your purifiers into a fire support squad to start on the table, and then another one that jumps out of a Raven. At the same time, you put half of them in Razorbacks, and the other half either stays behind, or deep strikes in. Or you can ditch the razorbacks altogether to simply have them deep strike in, and use those points towards Mystics, or something like that.

Valkyrie's aren't assault vehicles. They'd serve the same purpose as the Chimera, except you'd get a single lascannon to fight enemy fliers. You can't drop DCA out of them or the like.

As for your Slay the Warlord concern, since none of them are alone by themselves, they have about as much protection as you can hope for. The list I made either has your Warlord behind 5 other Purifiers and a Raven, or inside of one two Chimeras, behind a pair of Stormshields. Originally I considered giving one Termie Armor and a Psycannon to sit with the other half of the Purifiers, but the plasma needs the divination rolls more.

PS. a Grandmaster with a psycannon really is a waste of a powerful CC unit. He wants to be in the fray, not holding back on support. You could always add an Inq using the GK codex, and then put HIM with the Purifier Psycannons. This will also allow the DCA squad... but your purifiers are doing the same thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just a rule of thumb,

Putting expensive squads in Stormravens is a very very bad idea. In every GT I have went to since 6th came out the most points I have ever seen in a stormraven is a barebones tac squad, or a scout squad. Most of the time it is just empty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I read something that led me to understand that combat squadding and deep striking are not viable as deployment means "on the table."

Valkyrie is out.

BroChamp will definitely not be the warlord as I had intended to use him to lock up MCs and Heroic Sacrifice himself if the need arose. It's one of the best powers in the game and with an IC it's even better *glares at dusty Crowe model*

I actually had intended to run my GKGM with an Incinerator so I could get the assault.

I revised the list, and I think I have a decent hybrid of your list and my original. We may have cooked up a very powerful army.

And without further ado, here she is:

Primary Detachment: Grey Knights

HQ:
*BroChamp
*OM 'Quiz -- Power Armor, Daemonblade, Combi-Melta, 3xSS

Elites:
*5 Man Purifiers -- Halberds, MC Halberd, DigiWeaps

Troops:
*5 Man GKT -- 4 Halberds, Incinerator, MC daemonhammer, psybolts
*10 Man GKSS -- 5 Halberds, 2 psycannons, MC daemonhammer, psybolts

Fast Attack:
*Stormraven I -- MM, TLLC
*Stormraven II -- MM, TLPC or TLAC

Heavy Support:
*5 Man Purgation Squad -- 4 Psycannons, teleport homer, Psyback
*Nemesis Dreadknight -- Nemesis Greatsword, Heavy Incinerator

Allied Detachment: Inquisition

HQ:
*OM 'Quiz I -- Psyker, Power Armor, 3xSS
*OM 'Quiz II -- Power Armor, Combi-Melta, Power Sword

Elites:
*Warband I -- Mystic, Crusader, 3x Acolytes-Hotshot Las Gun, Melta Gun, vanilla, Psyback
*Warband II -- Crusader, 4x Acolytes- 2 with stormbolters, 2 with either flamers or plasma guns

Strategy:

BroChamp in Raven II with Purifiers. Hunt MCs and HQs. Daemonblade OM may go here or he may go in the other Raven with the GKTs.

Purgation squad will move up either the left or right to drop teleport homer for GKSS.

OM II (from allies) will be in the inquisition psyback to get strategic positioning for the Mystic. Deepstrike GKT Raven here. Servo skulls will be blanketing the map as well so other Raven will have more flexibility to go after MCs.
Of course I may just Deep Strike the GKTs normally, it'll depend.

Dreadknight will do it's thing, either by Deep Strike or normal deployment depending on the match.

OM I (from allies) will hang out in deployment zone.

Majorian

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a rule of thumb,

Putting expensive squads in Stormravens is a very very bad idea. In every GT I have went to since 6th came out the most points I have ever seen in a stormraven is a barebones tac squad, or a scout squad. Most of the time it is just empty.
I learned my lesson before, tried to put a brother captain with some kitted out termies and it didn't arrive until turn 4 before getting shot down and hurting my squad something awful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts