Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Mail Order.

5K views 63 replies 27 participants last post by  maxtangent 
#1 ·
I just want to know what the guy's think about mail order from the end of the month stopping selling of individual bitz?

Instead they will be selling bitz bags!? So if i want an ork jump pack for example as of Feb, instead of buying however many jump packs i need, i'll be forced to buy bitz bags that will contain a couple of rokkits and a whole pile of junk i dont want! Check out the back of this months white dwarf to see more!!

MarzM

#2 ·
Think it is a pile of crap myself. I don't need the bitz that I am not asking for, why should I pay for them as well.

#3 ·
Yeah it sucks big time that you have to buy a bunch of other junk just to get the part you want. It is going to be harder to do conversions either that or people are going to start using bits places like battlewagon bits.

#13 ·
Yes, and BWB also has plastic bitz where GW only sells sprue.

BWB prices according to supply and demand - hence why a Baneblade sponson is $50 and a Terminator Assault Cannon $10 by itself.

GW would be accused of structuring the rules to gouge customers if they did that themselves. If they didn't, they'd have warehouses full of nothing by unpopular bitz, or they'd need to pay to dispose of them.

It really makes a lot of sense for GW pass the individual bitz role onto a 3rd party.

#8 ·
>>Its a fuckin joke, to put it politely. As has been said, why would people want to buy shite they dont need. Utter fuckin disgrace. And I dont fall for this better for the company shite either. Schemin bastards, no more, no less.:angry:

#11 ·
i really dont see how you reach this conclusion. i mean yes, i can see how you might be upset, its annoying to me as well, but as for your closing statement, it makes no sense.

you hypothesise that this will lose them money, but you call them scheming like they want more of your money.

They know about BWB and stuff like that, so they've taken it into account. use them in future. GW obviously decided it was no longer cost-effective to support the service, so have removed it. If it means you spending less, then so be it. itll save GW more i suppose in the long run...

So you will need to buy even more bitz bags, therefor getting more un-needed shit, and making GW more cash in to the bargain. They must think people are fuckin stupid.
then dont buy them if you dont want them. decide if its worth it. they dont think youre stupid. chill.

#10 ·
So if i want an ork jump pack for example as of Feb, instead of buying however many jump packs i need, i'll be forced to buy bitz bags that will contain a couple of rokkits and a whole pile of junk i dont want!

MarzM
>> So you will need to buy even more bitz bags, therefor getting more un-needed shit, and making GW more cash in to the bargain. They must think people are fuckin stupid.

#15 ·
I agree with the asmodai's statements.

I find battle wagon bitz to be a great resource.

I don't know what will be going into these packs, but it could end up being a positive thing.

who knows, "extra baneblade sponsons" might be an available bitz pack same with "plastic hurricane bolter sponsons" or "extra armor"

#16 ·
Yes, donig bitz bags for things like battlewagons is a great idea. Infact it's the old gubbibgs bags from a wgile back. But to stop doing individual bitz is stupid!. To created my stormtroopers i need the torso of the chao's dev sergent. Now that £2 a go just to cut his head off. But i'll be damned if im going to spend £6 to buy the whole model just so i can cut his bloody head off!!

I also need the sniper rifle from the Vostroyan snipers. £1.50 each is ok, bollocks to another £6 etc. I need the old chaos termi heads for my chaos guard (mask ones) these will probably be discontinued! Good bye to the old sentiment of, " if you have the code, we can get you the part.

Converting is one of the parts of the hobby i love the most, and i don't mind too much spending £20-£30 on my character models, i refuse to spend that on the grunds. If this is the case i might as well buy an army from Forge World!

MarzM

#17 · (Edited)
To me, while it may be a cost cutting exercise, its costing GW big in another way. PR. As you can see, some of our most talent and experianced members are gettting annoyed about this (quite rightly in my eyes). And Heresy won't be alone in this. The problem is is that moves like this reduces choice from the gamer as they are forced to buy bits they don't want. This obvisouly annoys people as they are having to pay money for stuff which they are just going to have lying around or waste. Yes their may be some bags that are full of good parts but there will also be bags with stuff that is mixed and some with only one good thing. Also there are going to be parts that people may want that arn't going to be in the bags. And what about older parts from the archive range? BWB doesn't sell them as far as I know. They arn't going to be in the bags so where do you get them from now?

Now yes parts you buy but don't want can be traded for bits you do but I can tell you now that even with this there are going to be bits that nobody wants which they ahve payed money for which before they wouldn't have had and wouldn't have payed for.

It also could create a monopoly for BWB, as soon as you start removing consumer choice of where to go to get their products the places that are still in business can do what they like with the prices.

Now considering the amount of GW Bashing that goes on (Rightly or wrongly, im not taking sides) PR is something that GW desperatly needs - especially from gamers in the older age bracket. These older gamers generally arn't happy with the way that WD has changed and the jury is still out on whether the rules streamlining is a good thing. Combine this with the price hikes (again not taking sides - but you can't deny that the price of the hobby has risen a fair bit in the past 5 years) and the atmosphere isn't all rosey for GW.

As for the idea that this is a cost saving exercise. I don't beleive that is true, I think that the way they operated the bits service before would have been working fine however they have come up with a way to make more of a profit. The idea that the cost of employing warhouse staff and packaging is too much is laughable. The chances are these workers arn't employed soley for individual parts orders, they will be packaging together normal kits as well.

My take on it is that this is designed to move more stock. GW is a business and its aim is to make money. Now unfortuntly this sometimes comes at the cost of annoying certain demographics. It may do make more money for them, it may not but the chances are the one thing we can count on is that PR will take another hit. It all depends on how many more hits PR can take before a policy reversal.

#20 ·
It doesnt matter. They are still FORCING us to buy whole packages of things which we might only want 1-2 pieces. Its like the special weapons and heavy weapons. Box sets only come with certain weapons. Want something outside the normal and you have to buy special packages. Now if you want to build a special army your going to have to buy whole bags to get the individual pieces you need. Might be great for the conversion boys, the terrain builders, the hundred army people but bad for the people who dont have the room for all this.

Having the bags available = good
Getting rid of individual parts order = horribly bad

#22 ·
As long as they continue to screw me over I will continue to gripe about them. Now this makes it more difficult to make my 39 Melta Chaos army. :p

#27 · (Edited)
but surely theyll be losing money selling bitz bags too? lots of people wont buy them because they dont want to waste their money, and as each bit costs a minimum of say, 50p, theyll want to make it worthwhile to buy, and id assume, put a lil more then say, £6 worth of bitz in a bag.

they could rise the prices of each bit by say, 10 or 15 or even 20 pence, but still undercutting BWB, and it would have the same effect right?

#31 ·
Tor the idea that GW has staff empolyed soley for individual orders is laughable. I highely doubt that there is so much demand for inidividual bits that they employ staff soley for that. They will still be doing other things. There arn't going to be staff cuts in this "cost-cutting excerise", if anything the chnaces are they might have to employ more people to do the packaging. The mail order people are doing this sorta work anyway so saying that its cheaper doing it this way makes no sense. Whats the differance between picking a tactical squad of a shelf and picking up Abbadon's sword? - not very much. You take a list of the items that you require to be sent out to the consumer either way.

While GW may not delerably be out to annoy the gamer the fact is: they are. Sooner or later this is going to stop. Either through gamers getting feed up and leaving or GW realising that there is mounting annoyance towards them. People can say "get over it" all they want but in the end they are going to have to be willing to admit that over the last couple of years GW has become less gamer freindly than it was in the way that it conducts business. There is no way to deny this. I'm not trying to create ill feeling or anything its simply the facts. One of the tenants of business is: The Customer is always right. These days people are beinging to think that GW has forgotten that. You know this, hell every time the subject is brought up you do your best to dispell the allegations of unfairness and the big bad GW. But the annoyed gamers still remain.

I'm not saying that GW is some uber nasty coperation that is the root of all evil, what I'm saying is that while at the storefront the front line service people like yourself are very good at dealing with the customer, up higher its not very customer oriantentated. Its money focussed. Normally in a business thats a good thing but when you are selling the product that GW is, a product that requires ongoing consumer support, making decisions that annnoy the consumer (rightly or wrongly) isn't a good idea and the more that the consumer isn't listened too, the more angry they get. There has to be a balance. Thats what the inidivual parts ordering was, a balance that while may not have made GW a heap of money (I don't think it lost money either) certainly made them good PR.

#29 ·
in some ways this might regulate the cost at BWbits.

at bw bits they couldn't justify selling the bits for even close to what the bag was, if you want one assault cannon (which is now 8.99) and GW sells a bag that includes a few other things (like meltaguns and plasmas and the ammoboxes associated and covers for the guns)
and they sell it for 2 dollars more, you are probably going to buy the bag with the extra stuff in it because for 2 more dollars you can get a bunch of stuff that could atleast make it into conversions or onto bases.

this goes both ways however, BWbits may no longer have to buy entire sprues to sell just one popular bit, instead of having to buy a box of termies, for one assault cannon, they could then buy the cheaper bag of bits and make thier prices lower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.