Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a Thousand Sons

Spoiler alert:

Magnus is shown a vision that the Emp wanted him to power the Golden Throne, and that he would be left a howling rictus trapped in it forever.

I do think that him taking the throne was part of the plan, and while deep down, I think the Emp thought of his sons as tools and would have had no issue using Magnus and locking him into an eternity of suffering, that is my personal predjudice talking.

Do you guys think the whole vision was fabrication ? Or just the part about him being trapped on it in torment ?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I have absolutely no problem believing the Emperor intended for Magnus to remain on the Golden Throne for eternity- He was very much a 'the ends justify the means' type of guy, the sort of stuff he must have done or allowed to happen over the ages he's been implementing his plans would probably appall even the Inquisition.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
If that was the case and Magnus knew that I think he would have fought harder than he did because it would have been him who felt betrayed.

I would have blown the wolves out of orbit, and turned them all into dog treats if I found out the emperor was about to put me into eternal pain and suffering.

Was this part before or after, Magnus broke through the webway. If this was before, then lol, it was Magnus probably saying, take that bitch.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I think Magnus would have relished it, once he got a taste of how his power was augmented. The description of 'howling rictus' gives it the aura of the Emperor in the 40k 'present', but Magnus would have entered the mechanism whole, healthy and willingly; he also wouldn't have to cope with the warp-tear on Terra stopping him from recovering his strength.
His mind would encompass the galaxy, all-powerful and untouchable by any save for the Emperor or the chaos gods. Tell me, how could anyone as arrogant as Magnus turn down the offer of such power, and maybe vindication of his opinion of his abilities, once he had been given even just a taste?

GFP

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
True, it is more than likely that the shrivelled husk that Tzeentch showed Magnus in his vision was in fact the severely diminished form of the Emperor himself, who as GFP said, was forced to take the throne in a weakened and near death state.

It is possible either way that the Emperor either didn`t care for Magnus` ultimate wellbeing, or perhaps was well aware that Magnus could easily handle it. Hell, if the Emperor can hold it together for 10k when he`s practically dead, then I doubt Magnus would have too much trouble when fully abled.

Personally though, I couldn`t stand the thought of being so entrapped for such a long time. Hell, even the necrons still have full mobility...

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Do you guys think the whole vision was fabrication ? Or just the part about him being trapped on it in torment ?
As far as I remember, it wasn't a vision at all. It was when the Emperor's and Magnus' minds connected when Magnus travelled via the Webway to Terra to deliver his warning. They both glimpsed into each others minds and knew exactly what the other knew. The Emperor's plan to have Magnus sit on the Golden Throne and direct the armies of the Imperium across the Galaxy was revealed to Magnus then.

I think Magnus would have relished it, once he got a taste of how his power was augmented. The description of 'howling rictus' gives it the aura of the Emperor in the 40k 'present', but Magnus would have entered the mechanism whole, healthy and willingly; he also wouldn't have to cope with the warp-tear on Terra stopping him from recovering his strength.
His mind would encompass the galaxy, all-powerful and untouchable by any save for the Emperor or the chaos gods. Tell me, how could anyone as arrogant as Magnus turn down the offer of such power, and maybe vindication of his opinion of his abilities, once he had been given even just a taste?

GFP
I agree with the Penguin. A Thousand Sons even says that Magnus was devastated that he ruined the Emperor's plan to have him take to the Golden Throne. Having his powers and consciousness augmented and multiplied by the technologies of the Golden Throne whilst he would have been guiding the uncountable armies of the Imperium across the Galaxy to victory and glory. It would have been the one single chance Magnus would have had to ultimately prove his worth and powers and that of psykers in general to the Imperium, something I imagine he would have loved to flaunt infront of his brothers.... sitting on the Golden Throne was something Magnus would have relished.

·
Registered
507 Posts
As said, Magnus would have been more than willing to step onto Golden Throne as it would have enhanced his power more than any other thing ever created. His body would have been decayed in time, but he isnt interested in that. Only power and knowledge.

Cant remember how long Malcador was sitting at throne, but it killed him real quick and he wasnt nothing compared to Magnus or Emperor.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Though of course after Magnus and the Emperor he was the most powerful psyker in the Imperium so that shows both how much of a power increase there was with the 1st and 2nd most powerful psykers compared to the rest and how little time the other psykers would have lasted in the Golden Throne (Ahriman? Pah I give him 10 minutes :p).

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Events on the Vengefull Spirit took what hours at best? Giving time for Dorn to find the Emperor and modify the throne a bit as intructed Malcador could have been on there for as little as half a day or less, and then his body literally crumbled to dust

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Considering Manu's quest for knowledge, I think you guys might be right. I am not certain that it would have been as pleasant an experience as he would have liked though.

The current sacrifice of the 10,000 psykers,do you think that is a result of the Emperor's current state, or as a result of the damage to the Golden Throne.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
The Emperor`s focus is divided. He fights off daemons in the earth webway, he guides the astronimicon, and he apparently "protects" as well.

He quite literally holds the Imperium together. Without him, CHAOS!

To answer your questiion, probably both. The throne has not been properly maintained, and the Emperor can only do so much by himself, no matter how powerful a psyker he is.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
The current sacrifice of the 10,000 psykers,do you think that is a result of the Emperor's current state, or as a result of the damage to the Golden Throne.
Moreso the Emperor's current state rather than the damage Magnus done to the Golden Throne I would say. The sacrifice of psykers is needed to sustain his life-force and enable him to protect humanity and hold the Imperium together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts