Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you guys feel magic should work in multiplayer games?

we did a 3vs3 game today with 6000pts per side. We decided to roll 3d6 for power and the opposition got the highest and lowest added together for dispell.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Not so sure about that.

With so much magic to cast in this edition a max of 18 Dice to spread between three armies doesn't sound like too much. I get that limits the magic spam you can expect to see, but that is a bit of a harsh compromise considering you are halving each players Power Dice potential. You also would need to throw out the "No more than 12 Power Dice" thing (not a big deal).

I think just splitting the magic phase up into 3 seperate phases would be a tad more efficient. They could even go on at the same time, just roll for Power Dice/ Dispel Dice seperately for each one with the opposing team dispelling all together. If a team rolled 2/5, 5/6, 1/2 for their respective power dice then the other team will get 5, 6, and 2 dispel dice to use as a team for their respective phases. You should also get to use some gear for every phase. Things like "Gain an extra D3 Dispel Dice" should be applied to all three opponent's phases, whereas "Gain and extra D3 Power Dice" will only apply to your own. This is still harsh for the casters due to the higher potential for Dispel Dice, but leaving the "no more than 12" rule will help a little bit to alleviate that pressure.

Dunno if that makes sense outside of my head, but sounds fair enough without nerfing the phase too much to me.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I would say each player gets a Power/Dispel Pool of their own. It would need people to be sensible, if you steal a dice from somone you target an opponent and do it, you can only Black Coach one power pool etc. You can only dispell things targetting enemy models or your models.

Shouldn't been too hard to work out.

Aramoro

·
Registered
92 Posts
There is a scenario in the BRB about multiplayer games called battle royale (pg 406) in that the whole turn is shared by all players with the first player moving ect then the next one. Magic is done by the first player rolling for the power/dispel dice then everyone gets the same amount.

I have played it 4 times now and while there are some issues it is IMO more fun than separate tunrs as if you do that one player has to wait along time before they get to do anything and the dispel rules allow for some funny alliance shenanigans as you take it in turns to dispel but only 1 attempt may be made so if the first player to get the choice says yes I will try and dispel then uses 1 dice no other player can try after that.

It does have some issues though mainly in the movement phase so far my group has found it best to do compulsory movement in order then remaining moves in order. Hope this helps :p

Edit: Oh wait just saw it was 3vs3 Still maybe the magic part of battle royale would work, one of the people on the team rolls for power/dispel then everyone gets the same keeps it even but then the black coach still presents problems. Maybe one person would roll and everyone would get that number of power/dispel dice but for effects like the black coach it would count as a single pool with the number of power dice he rolled and you would ignore the other 2.

I tried playing a game with the allies rules in the book and a shared power pool and even at 1250 each it was still not enough for 2 armies worth of wizards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts