Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Yellow King
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay! so ive decided to run my lysander with a sternguard squad in a drop pod to make use of lysanders bolter drills (this will be against low armour armies like my mates IG)

but what i want to know is should i give them all storm bolters for 2 shots on assault with re-roll to hits? (making them dynamic)

or leave it with the bolters and make use of the sternguards different bolt types?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Keep boltguns, if you want more flexibility take combi weapons!

·
The Yellow King
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was just thinking with storm bolters and a captain with pfist you can charge while firing full range and get into combat with lysander and deal out damage aswell

but yeah ill look at points and throw in as many combi meltas as i can i think

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
i was just thinking with storm bolters and a captain with pfist you can charge while firing full range and get into combat with lysander and deal out damage aswell

but yeah ill look at points and throw in as many combi meltas as i can i think
If you want to have a unit full of Storm Bolters, and have one Power Fist in it, then why don't you just take Terminators? :p

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
being a person who runs this very combo i can tell you to keep the boltguns. This is mainyl for 3 reasons;
1 - Sternguard can only use there special ammo in Boltguns/Combi-weapons. Droping the special ammo just to make them assault isn't that good and most of the time your in half range anyway thanks to your drop pod.
2 - They don't want to be in combat. Ya they can fight but about as well as a normal Chaos Marine can and thery die as easily as normal marines too. Best keep them at range with there boltguns.
3 - Combi-flamers/meltas are way better. Flamers can deal with any horde and meltas can deal with any armour. I personly would advice meltas as the flamer option is more for when you don't have lysander with them. Plasma jsut sucks on them as they all ready have an AP3 round, you jsut pay 5 pts per modal to up the strength of it for 1 turn.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Besides, if they're coming down in a Drop Pod then all you're really gaining when they come down is an extra 12" range on the boltguns as you can't charge, then you're losing out on all the cool ammo and the Drop Pod should let you get within rapid-fire range without too much trouble.

·
The Yellow King
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah good point guys.. definatly be keeping the boltguns then.. now i just need to make a bunch of combi meltas haha

i mean that allows me to say drop them in on a tank (if the situation requires) and let out a wave of melta fire which will most likely down it. (and if not throw them into cc and let lysander clean up :) )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts