Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically since I'm buying a mate's Noise Marine army come New Year, I've decided to try and continue with his theme, albeit with my own alterations. This is what I've come up with:

Lucius the Eternal - 160 points.

Lash Sorcerer with Plasma Pistol - 140 points.

8 Noise Marines, 7 Sonic Blasters, Noise Champion with Powerfist & Doom Siren, Rhino with Dozer Blade - 290 points.

8 Noise Marines, 7 Sonic Blasters, Noise Champion with Powerfist & Doom Siren, Rhino with Dozer Blade - 290 points.

8 Plague Marines, 2 Plasma Guns, Plague Champion with Powerfist & Plasma Pistol, Rhino with Dozer Blade - 309 points.

2 Obliterators - 150 points.

2 Obliterators -150 points.

Based on playtesting Plague Marines work better with Noise Marines if they're carrying Plasma Guns, so that's why I'm taking them. The plan is simple, the three squads will go for a flank assault, with the Oblits deep striking to cause some mayhem.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
dozer blades...prolly best to drop those; unless your playing on tables with LOTS of terrain

after that i think that id rather give the NM champion a PW & a sonic blaster & melta bombs

you still strike 1st - which PFs negate, sonic blaster allows you to still shoot an extra attack or 2, melta bombs for CC tanks / MCs

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
dozer blades...prolly best to drop those; unless your playing on tables with LOTS of terrain

after that i think that id rather give the NM champion a PW & a sonic blaster & melta bombs

you still strike 1st - which PFs negate, sonic blaster allows you to still shoot an extra attack or 2, melta bombs for CC tanks / MCs
Yes I can give them Melta Bombs, but I've got a much better chance of taking out Dreadnaughts and the like with a PF than a Melta Bomb. What I might do is run one NM squad with a PW/MB champion alongside the Plague Marines.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
np man its your list...i just struggle why people wish to forgo (?) I5 on charges (zerkers) or strait I5 (NMs) & take PFs

on the plague marines...why dont you swap the plasma pistol for a combi-plasma? it saves you 20 pts total...so you can almost (grr) add another plague or you can add a NM

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
np man its your list...i just struggle why people wish to forgo (?) I5 on charges (zerkers) or strait I5 (NMs) & take PFs

on the plague marines...why dont you swap the plasma pistol for a combi-plasma? it saves you 20 pts total...so you can almost (grr) add another plague or you can add a NM
My thinking here is Dreadnaughts and the like can't be taken out with Powerweapons. Sure a Melta Bomb might do it, but you haven't got the greatest chance in the world of hitting the dread, never mind wrecking it.

A Powerfist means your a threat, which ensures your opponent won't be quite so blase about attacking. However I can see where your coming from and I'll be honest it's not a bad idea.

What I'm thinking of doing is given that I'm buying some Noise Marines off a mate come the next few months and he's given Powerweapons to his champions is running one of these squads in conjunction with the Plague Marine squad.

That way if a dread comes along the Plague Marines can deal with it, whilst the Noise Marines can take full advantage of their initiative.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,363 Posts

EDIT: Wow, i read that as Why do people take PM's, not PF's

PF's are amazing, Won me so many combats, if normal CC weapons don't quite clear a squad, 4 more Power-fist attacks just finishes it.
Last game i charge the Avatar, with 8 'Zerkers, Lost 2, so i hit with 5+1 powerfist. Did 2 wounds with 5 'Zerkers, then pummelled in another 2 wounds with a single powerfist.
Thus embarrasing the avatar, as a failure of the Eldar, maybe winning me the Draw. I say win the draw, Drawing is better than losing, and i would have lost without killing the Avatar that combat. :D

Combi-Plasma you only get the 1 use of Plasma, so you'd have to hold back. Possible reason for wanting to take the actual PG.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
PF's are amazing, Won me so many combats, if normal CC weapons don't quite clear a squad, 4 more Power-fist attacks just finishes it.
Last game i charge the Avatar, with 8 'Zerkers, Lost 2, so i hit with 5+1 powerfist. Did 2 wounds with 5 'Zerkers, then pummelled in another 2 wounds with a single powerfist.
Thus embarrasing the avatar, as a failure of the Eldar, maybe winning me the Draw. I say win the draw, Drawing is better than losing, and i would have lost without killing the Avatar that combat.
and that's you take PFs, even if you have a model of I5; tying up a MEQ squad with a single T6 model is something that shouldn't happen if you're fielding MEQs.

i like the list Sullen One, but i'd be considered about your anti-tank abilities if your Oblits are eliminated early, could be a major set back for you.

good hunting.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
well i run my NMs in such a way that i WONT charge/ hope to not get charged MCs or the like

they are multi-turn combat shock troops they are supposed to tie up Meq equivalent 10+ man units

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
EDIT: UGH again i miss read NM as PM...

Sorry about this post, it did say something relevant, until i found out it was irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i run my NMs in such a way that i WONT charge/ hope to not get charged MCs or the like

they are multi-turn combat shock troops they are supposed to tie up Meq equivalent 10+ man units
The way I've always understand Noise Marines to work is you move, fire, move, fire, then charge when your in range. Against Marines you won't take down to many per turn, so charging the survivors is a good idea. I often run a Lash sorcerer with the unit to help them out a little.

Personally I'd take PF Noise Marines on a 2:1 ratio to PW Noise Marines, that way you get a balance. Ultimately though it's what works best for you, and for me that's using Powerfists.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I would make a couple of suggestions as a long time slaaneshi warband player.

firstly: having that many sonic weapons in a rhino is a bit of a waste. You're only going to be able to shoot more than (2) on the turn you dissembark (or when your rhinos get popped). With 2*7*5 points worth of sonic blasters tucked safely into rhinos you have 70 effectively wasted points - you're only going to get one or two turns of firing. If you're going for a rhino rush army I'd recommend keeping your NM naked except for the champion who I would totally recommend the PF/DS combo (doom sirens are NASTY! especially 2 of them)! You really don't want to dissembark from your rhino, unload your sonic weaponry into a squad of marines & have them use combat tactics to choose to run out of your charge range do you? And frankly, any eldar / guard you're shooting with that many bolter rounds is going to be pasted (unless you're lucky or he's unlucky)

Save the Sonic Blasters for a squad that sits on an objective in your own zone. The ability to pump out (3) bolter shots each @ 24" makes them fantastic at killing hordes attempting to run you down.

second: The PF champs are fine, leave 'em. I played my warband for years thinking that PW were the way to go (had the fancy EC champion models...) but frankly, the extra points for the fist are completely worth it! I can't tell you how many times I've sent 6 noise marines up aganist 5 tactical marines and LOST combat (even with MORE attacks at HIGHER initiative) because of the sargents PF... It is a big deal & you have it right - one walker or MC will ruin your squad's day without a fist & moreover, that single shot causing ID on enemy characters is always great.

third: I would second the suggestions to lose the dozer blades. Chaos dozer blades for whatever reason are less effective than loyalist blades. Ours only work if you travel 6" or less, as soon as you attempt to go 6.000000001"+ you're wasting points.

Fourth: lose the PP on the sorceror, there really is no point - and do you want the potential to overheat and cause a wound to your 140 model? I know I don't.

Lastly, fifth: back in the good old days, Slaanesh' sacred # was 6. I've found that this is actually a good multiple to run noise marines in - otherwise the sqauds start to get a bit too pricey (more small squads is better in all but KP games...)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the suggestions there Clever Handle, but naked NMs? Seems odd to me to paying more than the standard price for a marine, once you've done that you might as well go for the blaster.

That said most of your other suggestions I'll be taking up. The only reason my sorcerer has a Plasma Pistol is because when I was building him (as an emergency substitution for 2 oblits) I needed a quick model that used up spare points.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts