Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Do you want a loyalist primarch to return.

• Yes

Votes: 193 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 31 13.8%
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start I want to get out of the way that I don't seriously expect GW to bring back a Primarch so try to think of this in the context of the 40k universe not GW's. Also who can come back has been pretty well documented on this site so for the purpose of brevity I'm assuming the only ones that we can feel certain have a reasonable chance of coming back are Russ, Vulkan, Corax and the Lion.

(1) First a simple yes or no. Do you want a Primarch to return or are you happy enough with the current status quo.

(2) What would happen if they did? I.e would one single solitary primarch be enough to spur the imperium to victory? Would the imperium trust/tolerate a returned primarch? Would a primarch be satisfied to take a backseat and obey the High Lords, Ecclesiarchy, Administratum etc.

(3) How could GW bring one back for a prolonged stay? What I'm looking for here is scenarios that GW could use to allow for all of the above conditions to be met. Be creative.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Yes, because there is an 80-90% chance it will send the galaxy into a giant war..... well and even bigger giant war.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Who's unaccounted for/missing in the warp?

Corax, Vulkan, Russ and Khan?

The Lion's hidden somewhere in stasis, and Gulliman is on display in stasis (but dead for all intensive purposes).

·
Registered
19 Posts
probs yes with the lion but thats all and ive always wondered what those lil jawa fellas were actually doing down in the rock :)

·
Registered
800 Posts
There is theories that all of them could potentially come back, I don't believe it though, I believe Russ, Corax, Khan and Vulkan are alive though.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The Lion's hidden somewhere in stasis, and Gulliman is on display in stasis (but dead for all intensive purposes).
Actually, I believe it was stated that the Lion was sleeping, implying a coma - not in stasis.

And I am holding my reserves as to what would happen, should a primarch return. I fear that the Inquisition might assasinate them, on the grounds that they spout 'heresy' in refuting The Emperor's ascention to godhood. At the very least, I believe that their 'Legion' (Because let's face it, the successor chapters answer to their Primarch - The Unforgiven obviously so.) would all be excommunicated, and an internal war would begin anew. That is, unless the gilded corpse actually made a move.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I would like to see one return, although the consequences of a return would be huge. Lets take the Lion for now as he is easily the most plausible for returning, and for the sake of the example ignoring the 'lion is a traitor' theories. Firstly the Dark Angels themselves and all their successors are going to swear alleigance to him obviously, it doesnt even need to be said. The High Lords though wouldn't be happy about a primarch returning at all, he would be a massive threat to them, other Astartes chapters would look to him, guardman regiments, many citizens would all look to them as nothing short of demi-gods being a son of the God-Emperor. They would see potential for a heresy and civil war again.

I don't know if they would go so far as trying to assassinate him as if it was found out they ordered the assassination there would be outright war, i don't think it matters which Primarch returned i imagine a massive percentage of Chapters would instantly wage war on the High Lords as would untold number of others, the fallout would be huge. I would see the High Lords instead putting said Primarch in charge of some sort of campaign (the Tau maybe?) too keep him far out of their way and busy, and hopefully killed in the process.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't think it is an accident that every single Primarch is either:

a) dead
b) missing / presumed dead / hidden away in a stasis field
c) a traitor / daemon lord

The Primarchs were part of the 'golden age' if you will; when the Emperor embarked on his great crusade to reunite the pockets of mankind, and secure for them the ownership of the galaxy.

But something went wrong..............dotdotdot

So now you are back in the Dark Ages, where the Imperium is ruled by petty bureaucracies, more interested in their own interests than the interests of humanity, with Inquisitors running around keeping the populace in fear of aliens, mutants, psykers, and little blond kids with the last name Bieber.

I supposed they could bring back the Primarchs, but that would be a beacon of light in the dark void that is M41, and GW may not want things to get 'better'.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, because there is an 80-90% chance it will send the galaxy into a giant war..... well and even bigger giant war.
I'd have to agree. One Primarch wouldn't necessarily be an autowin scenario for the Imperium but would make it interesting.

I reckon if the Lion came back it would probably end badly for the Imperium. I don't think he's one to sit back and follow the man. So I reckon either DA would breakaway or he'd end up being assassinated for trying to assert his authority.

Russ might conceivably make it a little longer. Although obviously not one to be under the yoke of the Imperium the structure and autonomy of SM chapters would suit him and allow him to go on a bit of a slaughter fest. Doubt the High Lords would be receiving their gene seed quota though. I don't think Russ would try to claim the throne he always struck me as more of a follower but maybe Prospero Burns might change that. Only wielding a chapter and not a legion would also allow GW to limit Russ's overall influence on the game whilst still giving a massive twist and boost to the fluff.

Corax or Vulkan coming back? Who knows, we don't really know enough about their charachters to gauge whether or not they'd be able to survive in the 41st millenium or would be assassinated/rejected.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I'd have to agree. One Primarch wouldn't necessarily be an autowin scenario for the Imperium but would make it interesting.
I would go as far as to say that any loyal Primarch returning would be a disaster for the Imperium.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
If any loyalist primarch had to return the imperium would be screwed. I can't see any loyal son of the emperor being particularly impressed by the way things are currently being run. Thus, another massive civil war will probably break out between the high lords and their followers and which ever primarch returns and their followers. The imperium's enemies will probably try to take advantage of this (maybe another black crusade or massive expansion by the tau). The imperium in its weakened state would probably collapse from the internal and external pressures. Would be one hell of a show though.

Now, if ALL the missing loyalist primarchs returned...

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I'm sure its been stated the Space Wolves are significantly larger than the other chapters. Each Great Company alone is meant to be near chapter strength with no difinitve numbers, each one possibly 1000 strong, they don't have any sucessor chapters after all and the Space Wolves were one of the smaller legions

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
You could imagine it. Khan "escaped" but in reality was never captured, the lion left a fake on the rock whilst giving the watchers asleep. and the other "missing" primarchs are just lying. Basically like little schoolboys they decided to bunk off the imperium and all hide out at the local equivalent of Mcdonalds, pub and cheap motel for 10000 years. They decided to just go back now.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
I'm sure its been stated the Space Wolves are significantly larger than the other chapters. Each Great Company alone is meant to be near chapter strength with no difinitve numbers, each one possibly 1000 strong, they don't have any sucessor chapters after all and the Space Wolves were one of the smaller legions
It was, before the heresy. Now each great company numbers between 100 and 200 men.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'd say, yes. Just as long as it's NOT GULLIMAN. We don't need another excuse for people to play Ultramarines.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Luckily it is already established that he would die very soon after being released from stasis and apparently nothing can cure him!

·
Registered
398 Posts
The Lion would mostly likely return and well lets face it, If a primarch returned particularly one like Russ or the Lion, there'd be war, i'd see most if not all the space marines following the "last" primarch that isn't a daemon dead or still lost, and huge swathes of guard jumping ship, not all but most, meaning war would once again return to terra, And shit would hit the fan for the empire, but who knows who'd win, but i guarantee you with the skills and sense of a primarch, i doubt an assissin alone would take him down, plus the space marines who would undoubtedly follow him or any other primarch for that matter to the grim bloody ending that would probably happen, one hell of a great campaign idea though.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts