Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm kind of struggling with which army I want to play. At first I was leaning toward the Imp. Guard, but then I read up on the orks and found that I liked their style as well. One of the points I'm taking into consideration as I decide is which army tends to have the most models in a 500-1500pt game. I know horde armies are naturally model-heavy, but of these two, which is the lowest?

Thanks, I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Right now I'm kind of struggling with which army I want to play. At first I was leaning toward the Imp. Guard, but then I read up on the orks and found that I liked their style as well. One of the points I'm taking into consideration as I decide is which army tends to have the most models in a 500-1500pt game. I know horde armies are naturally model-heavy, but of these two, which is the lowest?

On average orks will have more models on the table than guard.

This is, obviously, not an absolute.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I'm not quite sure if I understand what your saying, Hespithe. You said orks were easily the lowest; do you mean lowest in number of models on the table or points per model? I'm just asking because whocares said orks tend to have the higher number.

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
It really depends how you structure your list.

But that said, in a basic Guard list your minimum model count is higher for the compulsory units due to the way guard is organised.

Once you get past comulsory units it could be either but guard has more options to use points up on tanks so dropping the mini count overall.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, thanks for answering that for me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i think if you did a full troop army for each then gaurd would have MORE modules than orks, but in your average gaurd army you have tanks (lots of tanks) lol, were as orks have less tanks and more men.

so you avergaly i would say orks have MORE modules in a 1500 army BUT you could make a gaurd army with more modules in.

martin

·
Registered
75 Posts
As others have pointed out, Guard is generally easier to take a lesser number of models.

However, if a lower model count is because of the cost of horde armies, remember that tanks can be very expensive. I have looked at playing guard and some of the tank heavy lists were more expensive than a 120 troop list. (I think it was 120, but don't hold me to that)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Horde guard outnumber horde orks usually. I've seen guard with 300 soldiers and 3 tanks on the field in a 2000 point game. However, if the guard player takes plenty of tanks and the ork player takes an average number of orks, orks will usually have more models. Both lists come in mechanized versions as well, which will significantly reduce the model count.

So, in terms of model count:
horde imp > horde orks (unless they're using grots for their horde)
standard imp (plenty of tanks and possibly some sentinels) < standard orks (almost no tanks or no tanks)
mechanized guard < mechanized orks

I usually run about 100 orks in a 1500 point game, but I don't use ork vehicles.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Yes if you use grots you can get over 100 in a combat patrol which is 400pts

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Honestly, in actual tabletop games (not Vassal), my standard IG have always outnumbered any Ork army I've faced. Most Ork armies tend to include more expensive, or limiting, options. A Speed Freak force, for example, is usually much smaller. Even most ground-pounding lists have a tendency to add in Kans and Dreads, and use Warbikes and Buggies in support.

The only place I've seen an Ork army outnumber the Guard is on Vassal. It's easy to design a list that fits the consept of the Ork Horde, but who has actually built such an army for 'real' play? In 3 states in the US, I have yet to meet this person.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts

All i know is that you need 30 normal boyz in a ork squad. And IG i think its about 20 to one squad. So, i think you might be spending more money on Orks than on IG

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Honestly, in actual tabletop games (not Vassal), my standard IG have always outnumbered any Ork army I've faced.
How many models are in your IG army ? My current ork army that is built and played under the old ork codex has 177 models in it as pure footsloogers army. I still have to see how it would work under the new one with cheaper models.

Model count wise I think ork and IG would be close. YOu could make an armored fist IG army that would have a low model count and an Ork speed freak army that would be low model count or you can either all footsloogers that would be probably close to 200 models. So depends on what list you design.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts