Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stuck in a rut.

I've lost interest in my main eldar army as I'm stating a new space marine list but I'm also getting impatient getting a sizeable force of space marines table top ready

I was thinking with the new unbound rule of using my eldar with the small amount of space marines I've got ready

Has anyone tried an unbound mixed list. Are they any good?

I just need to get back into it as I'm getting a bit bored of 40k at the moment

·
Registered
773 Posts
Unbound can be a nice army for anything. But in general because of the major loss of not having objective secured, you need to really min-max, or take in units that work well together.

Your better bet is probably to throw out as much space marines as you can that you like and use Allies formations (you can have multiple) to add in 1 HQ 1-2 Troop, 0-1 Elite/Fast/Heavy at a time till full. This will keep the objective secured bonus for both armies. Means you can have those nice squads of 3 jetbikers to sweep up objectives every turn and throw in a bit of psy power to back your army up.

Dark Angel Librarians throwing Prescience on to units of War Walkers with twin shuriken cannons / starcannons / scatter lasers while he is holding a power field gen to give them all a 4++ save used to be a nice tactic.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unbound can be a nice army for anything. But in general because of the major loss of not having objective secured, you need to really min-max, or take in units that work well together.

Your better bet is probably to throw out as much space marines as you can that you like and use Allies formations (you can have multiple) to add in 1 HQ 1-2 Troop, 0-1 Elite/Fast/Heavy at a time till full. This will keep the objective secured bonus for both armies. Means you can have those nice squads of 3 jetbikers to sweep up objectives every turn and throw in a bit of psy power to back your army up.

Dark Angel Librarians throwing Prescience on to units of War Walkers with twin shuriken cannons / starcannons / scatter lasers while he is holding a power field gen to give them all a 4++ save used to be a nice tactic.
That was my way of thinking, get enough to have a decent bound marine attachment. (I was meant to say bound list no unbound in this post)

So can allies of convenience cast powers on each other? I was always under the impression that only battle brother can? I've never fully read the ally rule in 6th or 7th as I've never used it

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I play a main Eldar force with Salamander Allies and it is tons of fun. Pretty effective as well.

I highly recommend it.

Also, only Battle Brothers can cast powers on each other.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I play a main Eldar force with Salamander Allies and it is tons of fun. Pretty effective as well.

I highly recommend it.

Also, only Battle Brothers can cast powers on each other.
This is what I am going for, Eldar and Salamanders. So I am glad to hear it works well, can I ask what you use?

My interest in 40k is starting to increase again :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Oh yeah, the prescience must have come from one of the Eldar bits. The powerfield affected friendly and enemy models though so still worked regardless.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
This is what I am going for, Eldar and Salamanders. So I am glad to hear it works well, can I ask what you use?

My interest in 40k is starting to increase again :)
My standard list (I play casual) is:

Eldar:
Spiritseer

10x Guardians w/ Scatter Laser
Wave Serpent w/ Holo Fields, TL Scatter Laser, ShurCannon
10x Guardians w/ Scatter Laser
Wave Serpent w/ Holo Fields, TL Scatter Laser, ShurCannon
5x Dire Avengers

6x Warp Spiders w/ Exarch, Spinneret Rifle, Fast Shot, Night Vision
6x Warp Spiders w/ Exarch, Spinneret Rifle, Fast Shot, Night Vision

Fire Prism w/ Holo Fields, ShurCannon
Falcon w/ Holo Fields, ShurCannon, BLance

Salamanders:
Vulcan He'stan

Command Squad w/ 4x Melta, Apoth
Drop Pod

5x Tac Marines w/ Melta
Drop Pod

5x Scouts w/ ML (Flakk), Cammo Cloaks, 4x Sniper Rifles

10x Dev Marines w/ 4x Heavy Flamers
Drop Pod

--------------------------------------------------------------
That is off the top of my head so the points might not be quite right. I run the Devs as a 10x squad so I can combat squad them once I get out of the DP and hit two targets with 2x HFlamers. Sometimes I'll swap out the Devs for a Sternguard w/ Grav squad. Having two troops in the Salamander detachment lets me play Vulkan as my warlord, meaning all my Melta are master crafted.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Kinda depends what you have ATM for space marines and what you want I guess. As I said supplement what you are after till you get what you need.

As said I would get a couple of Eldar Jetbikers on the field and if you lack a bit of anti tank stuff then take your fire dragons loaded in waveserpent.

After that start with your marines. Things like your leader is a nice place to start. Vulkan is good but lacks AP2 what can be a pain. However he does make all your meltas in your army better, but I found a chapter master with burning blade (what becomes a master crafted version) better when shoved on a bike (making bikers in to troops).

Get a pair of tactical squads as you kinda have to. 6 man squads can work well throwing them in a razorback with TL heavy flamer if you want to stick to a theme (though you don't have to if you have the biker lord).

More bikers are nice and the attack bike can have a multi melta if you want.

Stormraven can be brutal as they are flyers with the Assault Vehicle rule. So you can move it, dive out and charge in the same turn. Makes it nice for assault squad or veterans or terminator delivery system. As well as being able to throw an Ironclad Dreadnaught down as well.
Though having to start in reserve means you aren't getting on the table till turn 2 and even then probably not close enough to drop them in till turn 3. So half the game is over at that point.

Personally I think Salamanders are probably one of the worse chapters ATM, what is a shame as they used to be really good.
Current tops for me is White Scars (+1 to jink is nutty), Raven Guard equally so as everyone gets stealth on turn 1, and everyone gets scout. Also they can use the jump packs in both assault and movement phase of the same turn.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Eldar and humans are usually far more threatened by chaos, necrons and tyranids than each other. Allies of convenience.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the fluff with allying eladar with marines will be based around the old saying "the enemy of my enemy is my friend..." but the real reason is because I'm building marine list and want to field them ASAP to see how they do:)

·
Registered
325 Posts
My advice, may not be what you want to hear, but, put it all away, everything, models, paints etc, stick it in your loft and forget about it for a month or two, the break will re kindle your love of all things small, plastic and expensive

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My advice, may not be what you want to hear, but, put it all away, everything, models, paints etc, stick it in your loft and forget about it for a month or two, the break will re kindle your love of all things small, plastic and expensive
that is probably the best advice I've had. To many times have i done half hearted painting an assembling as I'm not into the hobby. Or sell a army for peanuts on ebay

Think it's time to lock it all up and enjoy the summer and world cup

:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts