Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lord of change that i loved playing in the old daemon codex.

Now one of the few things that seem to have gotten better in the new codex are the HQ's. well most of them ( blue scribes, changeling not so much). the greater daemons look very nice and have some very powerful if unpredictable abilities.

first thing would be to give him a reward. not sure here.
to take an exalted reward or take the greater reward and a less one for the same points.

would like to go for his greater rewards and less reward as this would give me a better chance to get a shooting attack. warp breath or hellfire gaze.
All greater rewards are fairly good. and two chance to get something good is better than one. also i can swap one of them for a weapon if i get something rubbish. greater reward seems like too much of a gamble.

second thing would be giving him one extra mastery level.

take divination and hope for something great. precognition would be great and scriers gaze would be good also. if not prescience is never a bad thing re rolling all shooting attacks to hit and all hits in CC.

Then take two change powers for shooting. with luck i would get either bolt or change or infernal gateway. ether would be nice. bolt of change being the preference.

this would bring him in at 285. thats only 15 points less than Kairos however im not sure if kairos is a better choice or not..

Would like suggestion on how people are playing him. and kitting him out.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Cant speak much about LoC specifically, but in general taking 2 greater rewards for a GD is better than an exhalted/greater. The defensive bonuses in the greater reward table are game changing.

Karios is....not as good as he used to be. He can still dish out alot of damage if you avoid getting him stuck in cc.....and his staff of tomorrow rule synergizes well with things like the grimiore of true names....but beyond that LoC/divination heralds seem to be MUCH more popular tzeentch HQ setup.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I still haven't painted Fateweaver, a present from my wife for xmas..:( I feels bad, but I just can't find any practical use for him, even in 'fun' lists...But, maybe I can just use him as a Lord of Change...It's just I have no clue exactly what role he would fulfil in my usual lists I like to build.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Well, he is a Mastery Level 4 Psyker who knows 8 Psychic Powers (for all that their generation and use are constricted and slightly less than optimal). The potential to get 5D6 shots with the Flickering Fire is not to be overlooked, or 4D6 plus another Witchfire power. The combo with him and the Grimoire of True Names (to basically always ensure it goes off properly) is also very nifty, especially if used on Fateweaver himself--a 2++ save that rerolls 1s is nothing to be sniffed at, since statistically, you will fail only 1 in 36 wounds--or will have to take about 180 wounds, on average, in order to lose Fateweaver. Yeah, that's not going to happen. Other high risk high reward rolls you can have him use his reroll for are enemy Deny the Witch rolls, allied rolls such as Ork Lootas for their number of shots or Chaos Lords with Daemon Weapons rerolling their number of bonus attacks... not to mention the fact that you get the most useful trait on the Warlord Traits table.

Fateweaver has a ridiculously terrible close combat statline (especially for a 300 point monstrous creature), but I think he is capable of making up for it--especially in larger games, around the 2k point or higher mark--through how potent a support character he is.

Still, he's only T5, so the T6 LoC (immune to S10 Instant Death) who gan get 2 radically toughening Greater Gifts and who can actually stand up for himself in combat is always welcome.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do like the Grimoire or true names and he can take a lot of good powers however they can all be a bit random.
The Grimoire and his change powers could eb useful as a few of those primis powers but like you say i think he really comes into his own in larger games.

but its very tempting to take him

·
Registered
23 Posts
Kairos is a pure caster character.
Lord of change with 2 greater and 1 lesser, is basically a pure cc MC.

If you take the lesser reward tzeentch weapon the LoC becomes one of the nastiest close combat characters in the game, arguably better than a black mace daemon prince or bloodthirster.

Btw in regards to the grimoire, you cannot target your self.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
liked the idea of Grimoire of True Names however i looked closely at this yesterday and saw that lootauk was correct, it can't be used on the caster or owner of the Grimoire of True Names so fateweaver or LOC couldn't take and use on himself. however it could be fun on a group of 20 horrors with a herald in there or a way to help your flaming chariot survive long enough to do something useful. a 3 up invulnerable with re-rolls on ones. not bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts