Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

ADB is/was involved in the story I believe.

Why GW hasn't flooded this guy with production money eludes me.

My only gripe is the amount of black carapace interface nodes on his body. I was never given the impression via the novels that there were so many.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

ADB is/was involved in the story I believe.

Why GW hasn't flooded this guy with production money eludes me.

My only gripe is the amount of black carapace interface nodes on his body. I was never given the impression via the novels that there were so many.
About the black carapace, he gave the reason from brief mentions in fluff about marines taking to it differently where more might be exposed on one marine than another.

ADB should still be involved unless that has changed relatively recently.

When compared to his earlier animations concerning Lord Inquisitor, this is a huge improvement.

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
I think it's rather cool showing the inhumanity of the black carapace even though he sort of at a distance look like a plague-victim if I'm uncritical, but that's my eyes.

Well I thought it was only at the chest, but further reading has disproved that as this blob would prove.

The Black Carapace, also known as the Interface, is the last and one of the most important of all the 19 gene-seed organ implants a Space Marine Neophyte will receive as he is transformed from a normal, adolescent human male into a superhuman Astartes. This neuroreactive, black organic fibrous material is implanted directly under the skin of the Neophyte's torso. Points are then cut through the Carapace by an Apothecary using surgical tools that allow a Space Marine to directly interface his central nervous system with his Power Armour's cybernetic systems. After a few hours, the material hardens and invasive synthetic fiber bundles that will serve as connection points for neurons grow inward and interlink with the newborn Astartes' central nervous system. Note that a Space Marine needs the Black Carapace to use his Power Armour to its maximum capabilities, but the armour itself does not need this implant in order to function. The Sisters of Battle, for example, as well as some Inquisitors, also wear Power Armour. However, since their central nervous systems are not linked directly to their armour's Machine Spirit as a Space Marine would be, their Power Armour is markedly less efficient at providing protection or allowing them to maneuver in combat than that of an Astartes.

I'm sorry for the length of it all.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
My only gripe is the amount of black carapace interface nodes on his body.
In many of the various stories in the old Warhammer monthly, any time it depicted SMs out of their armour there were nodes all over their bodies to allow the armour to mesh with their nervous system. Even in the old Rogue Trader book they had loads. Terminator armour might require even more and bigger ones than standard PA.

Having the biggest cluster on their back makes sense, considering that the armour back pack is more than just a power plant. Fluid recycling, air filtration, steroid and combat drug shunts and nutritional supplements would all go in through the torso.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I really love the portrayal of the servitors, who look far more degraded in thier detail than many of the illustrations out there. I'm interested to see how he animates the GK in action. The trailer certainly gives the impression of weight and power in the Astartes, but that's just plodding along through the ship. When in combat, the GKs are supposed to be another head above a Chapter/Legion Astartes in their speed and deadliness.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
When in combat, the GKs are supposed to be another head above a Chapter/Legion Astartes in their speed and deadliness.
Against demons, definitely. Generally though, I doubt it. A SM is a SM. Sure there are slight differences, strengths and weaknesses and specialties across the gamut of chapters, but on the whole none are any better or worse than any other. Even GKs.

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
Possibly, but I doubt it. He's usual pretty good on the fluff side.
Yeah I doubt it myself, he most likely think Grey knights are better than the average Asartes. I should have phrased it as a theory. :)

And he is solid when it comes to fluff, a few blips, but nothing too extreme.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'd love to see a first person view from the terminator armor.

They're supposed to get a 360 degree view, right? How do they manage that, multiple cameras?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I'd love to see a first person view from the terminator armor.

They're supposed to get a 360 degree view, right? How do they manage that, multiple cameras?
Maybe sort of a 'rear view mirror' they look 1 direction (long enough/with a command) it rotates to the read.

EDIT: Or a rear view camera, like in cars.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Maybe sort of a 'rear view mirror' they look 1 direction (long enough/with a command) it rotates to the read.

EDIT: Or a rear view camera, like in cars.
I figure they'd need the constant vision. Maybe like some sort of super wide view lens. Just stretch it.

·
Cruel Commissar
856 Posts
They likely have cam-thingies inside their helmets showing them everything. I'm not sure but I think I have read that somewhere in fluff and that goes for every person with such powered armour not just Terminators.

EDIT: They have things in Starcraft, so I go on the short solution that the same is occuring in WH40k. you can disagree as you see fit.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Against demons, definitely. Generally though, I doubt it. A SM is a SM. Sure there are slight differences, strengths and weaknesses and specialties across the gamut of chapters, but on the whole none are any better or worse than any other. Even GKs.
Yeah I doubt it myself, he most likely think Grey knights are better than the average Asartes. I should have phrased it as a theory. :)
Hello again gents, I'm mainly thinking of the description in The Killing Ground, where the two main characters Ventris and Paisanius fight unarmed/armored against a GK to test their potential corruption from a stint in the EOT. The GK pretty handily takes them both out at the same time and indicates the loss is an indication of their freedom from taint... had they actually been corrupted they would have stood a fighting chance. Granted, this is Graham, who has been know for hyperbole in his writing, but it seemed to be pretty consistent with the descriptions of the GKs up to that point as being almost post-Astartes in nature.

I also remember in The Emperor's Gift the comparison of size between the GKs and the SW's when the big bridge confrontation takes place, but I had to give the book back to my friend, so might be mis-remembering. Unfortunately, these are the only two fluff sources I can recall where the GKs are in comparable proximity to regular Astartes.

Just a disclaimer, I don't play the tabletop game, so don't have any of the codicies (never could paint minis worth a damn :wacko:), and am only going on what I've read fluff wise in the various novels

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also remember in The Emperor's Gift the comparison of size between the GKs and the SW's when the big bridge confrontation takes place, but I had to give the book back to my friend, so might be mis-remembering. Unfortunately, these are the only two fluff sources I can recall where the GKs are in comparable proximity to regular Astartes.
I've read TeG multiple times. There is no mention of size disparities between GK's and SW's

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been looking at some images of tactical dreadnought armour.
They all have some kind of camera(picty-takey thingy I believe it's called in universe) attached to the top of the torso section, maybe it can extend and rotate ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts