Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been entertaining, with worrying frequency, an old idea of mine.

Looting: SM Dreadnoughts into Deff Dreadz
IG Sentinels into Killa Kanz

I have seen Dreads been looted into Dreadz but no Sentinels into Kanz.
It can be done; Various experiments i have performed have proven this.

My question is:
Would, you and/or the wider gaming community, as gamers, accept these on the tabletop? Would you play against them being what they are: Dreadz/Kans converted from Dreads/Sentinels? Or would You/The wider gaming community refuse to play me/Insist that i use actual Dreadz/Kanz models

SGMAlice

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
You should consider painting them as Deathskulls or Blood Axes.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Its possible to convert Sentinels into kans and I'd be quite interested to see the results.

As for Dreadnaughts into Deff Dredds, that's a bit trickier. After all SM dreads only come with two weapon mounts, you need four for a Deff Dredd.

This kind of limits your options with regards to the choice of shooty Dredd or melee Dredd.

Personally if your looking for something to do up as a Looted Dredd, I'd go for either a Carnifex, Wraithlord or possibly something a bit more unusual.

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
As for Dreadnaughts into Deff Dredds, that's a bit trickier. After all SM dreads only come with two weapon mounts, you need four for a Deff Dredd.

This kind of limits your options with regards to the choice of shooty Dredd or melee Dredd.
No problems for a finkin Mek :)

Shoulder Mounts for the other two would do it and it will help increase the target outline of the SM Dreadnought to a proper Dread sort of size (the only real objection I can see to using the smaller SM Dread).

Sentinels are about the right size once you get some arms on.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With all due respect, i have already worked out the 'how', as i said in my original post: i've performed some experiments.

The question was: can you see any objections to their use?

The Dreads - Dreadz question is easy enough: Mount the second pair of arms behind and above its current arms. Kinda on its back sort of thing.

I'm making them Super Rippy so it'll be another 2 DCCW's

SGMAlice

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
No problems for a finkin Mek :)

Shoulder Mounts for the other two would do it and it will help increase the target outline of the SM Dreadnought to a proper Dread sort of size (the only real objection I can see to using the smaller SM Dread).

Sentinels are about the right size once you get some arms on.

Like I vaguely mentioned as long as the size is about right or bigger than the GW original there should be no objections. ( You don't really wanna play anyone who would say owt anyhoo.)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Id be fine as long as you made sure i knew what they were and the base size was correct. other wise go for it mate and post some picks when thier done.

·
The Apathetic Sociopath
1,039 Posts
? That's what Orks do. They fight, kill, enslave, LOOT, eat, defecate, not necessarily in that order. No prob here, as long as they "work" as the rules intended. :eek:k:

OBGOG

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As long as the proportions are similar and they are easy enough to identify as dread and Kanz people shouldnt have a problem....If however they were just paper tubes with pictures on them....
Methinks it best we not get into that again.

I checked B&K site because i'll need some spare Dreadz arms and your all out!!
Whats that all about? eh? :p

To be honest i can't find anywhere that has them, Everywhere is out of them PFFT!!
Looks like i'm going to have to buy them from Ebay and an american Ebay shop at that. Has this country run out of Dreadz arms or what?!

SGMAlice

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
looted sentinels are great as looted kans so are Tau battle suits. I don't think really anyone would object most people love it when I roll out my conversions.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looted sentinels are great as looted kans so are Tau battle suits. I don't think really anyone would object most people love it when I roll out my conversions.
You've looted XV8's?! do you have pics?

I considered it along with the Dreads but i don't have any spare XV8's to experiment on.

Getting crazy here, but what would a looted Defiler be?
I know i could do it, I can loot just about anything i should think, even if its just for the hell of it (I've seen Looted Carnifex's!) but could a looted Defiler be used on the tabletop?

Getting my Mek on here! XD I need a new Sig!

SGMAlice

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
You've looted XV8's?! do you have pics?

I considered it along with the Dreads but i don't have any spare XV8's to experiment on.
I don't have any pics but search for Scarpia orks and look at the killa kans and that is the one I have now but I could get pics later.

Getting crazy here, but what would a looted Defiler be?
I know i could do it, I can loot just about anything i should think, even if its just for the hell of it (I've seen Looted Carnifex's!) but could a looted Defiler be used on the tabletop?

Getting my Mek on here! XD I need a new Sig!

SGMAlice
I forgot that I did this one for a friend a couple of years ago.

Looted defiler could be done as a looted wagon easy enough or used as a mega dread.
Like this

Oh and did you see my looted carnifex?

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
how dare you loot my carnifex's! (carnifei?)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
@Morfangdakka: Now, Scarpia, i have come across before. Some crazy stuff that guy has made.
I came across him while working on a Basilisk conversion, looking for a few idea's and he popped up on a google machine search. I didn't notice the XV8 though XD
I have got to Ebay a couple of old XV8's and try it out.

Loving the ChainKlaw on the Sentinel conversion and that is not the same LootedFex i have seen! Is that a pair of Bionic Legs and a Squiggoth Jaw i see?! Another one for the books methinks. This is the one i saw, from Dakka no less:

The Defiler in the pic you provided is an impresssive looking creation. I was thinking of keeping the Quadraped look though, Not sure about using one as a Looted Wagon but as a MegaDread? Hell yes! i Have a Forgeworld one, came a week or two ago now, and a Looted Defiler partner for it would be an excellent idea.
+Rep for the Sentinel and other pics :) (1 Point aint much, i know, but its the only way i can show my appreciation)

SGMAlice

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Methinks it best we not get into that again.

I checked B&K site because i'll need some spare Dreadz arms and your all out!!
Whats that all about? eh? :p

To be honest i can't find anywhere that has them, Everywhere is out of them PFFT!!
Looks like i'm going to have to buy them from Ebay and an american Ebay shop at that. Has this country run out of Dreadz arms or what?!

SGMAlice
I will PM you when i add the stock on, wont be today as im heading to monkey hanging country!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
As long as the overall bulk is about the same and the base is the same size then there is no reason for any issues. All orks would build a different dread so the weapon locations and overall stature would be different. Thing is a low down one will see less and get better cover saves. A tall one will see more and get less cover. Makes no difference really.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts