Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all you Chaos players! As the topic sates I'm looking to create a themed Thousand Son's army. Now I know that this isn't the most competitive army out there however It's more of their look and theme that are drawing me in. I have a general Idea of what units I'd like to include but any specifics that you guys could help me with in creating a 1500 point list or just any tips in general would be greatly appreciated.

So what's sparked this is a good friend of mine is selling off his massive Chaos Space Marine force and is offering any of his models to his friends first before he put's the rest up for sale online. He has 2x - 10 man squads of Thousand Son's that haven't seen much use that I plan on getting off him for cheap. I already have two rhinos from my Witch hunters army That I'm planning on doing some magnetization on so I can swap out Tzeentch logos with Sisters of Battle logos (Just don't tell my Canoness!). Which works great because my sisters already have a very similar paint scheme in the sense of what colors they use to the thousand suns.

I also most certainly want to get the Ahriman model as I think he looks awesome and is a perfect leader to my forces. Additionally I would like to run a Winged Daemon Prince of Tzeentch using the new Kairos Fateweaver Daemon model that comes out this month as it looks stunning! I also love Oblits and would really like to include them in any chaos force I have ;)

So far that put's me at

**HQ** - 400 (With the wings and mark alone, this will go up with whatever powers I decide to give him)

Ahriman

DP: Wings / Mark of Tzeentch

**TROOPS** - 604 (This will also go up with the powers I give the Sorcerers as well as any vheicle or other upgrades)

9x Thousand Son's + Aspiring Sorcerer
- Rhino

9x Thousand Son's + Aspiring Sorcerer
- Rhino

**HEAVY** - 225

3x Obliterators

This already brings my total to 1229 and I have more upgrades to fill.. This makes me think I might need to thin down on the numbers of the Thousand Son's Squads.. or possibly have Ahriman count as a regular Sorcerer...

Now anyways this is looking like a high point cost per model force which I don't really mind I guess since it's all fitting in with the theme of the army. Things I do need help with are

- How do I kit out my Tzeentch DP?

- What upgrades/powers do I give to my Aspiring Sorcerers?

- Are upgrades worth taking on Chaos rhinos? 15 points for extra arm on a 35 point vehicle seems a bit much.. although I usually never leave home without it on my Eldar Wave Serpents (in the form of spirit stones) and SOB Rhinos..

- How many Obliterators do you recommend I run per unit and how many units of them should I be looking to take?

- What does this list need to fill the gaps? Personally I think It seems to be lacking in melee and melta...

- Also are summoned demons worth it? Or are they just trash? One thing that scares me is I can't really afford to lose an Aspiring Sorcerer in the thousand suns squads to bring him out as that really just is too many points to give up and makes my squad slower... Maybe I should consider taking 1 squad of thousand suns and a squad of Chaos Space Marines with a Mark of Tzeentch for my troops instead? That would be a much better way to include a greater summoned Daemon into my army.

Anyways any insight you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!! But remember this is first and foremost a Thousand Suns Themed army so please no "take plague marines they are better troops choices".

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
well lets start with the easiest Oblits. the main Chaos player i run into swears on his life of using Oblits in units of 2; units of 1 can be easy to kill (lascannon) & give up a KP when they usually havent repaid their points, units of 3 usually have killed whatever Vehicle they were shooting at (which is what they usually do) before the 3rd even shoots

id recommend using Ahriman as a Sorc unless your gonna be generally playing 2k+ games.

the Demon Prince with MoT id prolly give it Bolt of Change & warptime (hard to pass up)

whether to change the Tsons for CSMs with MoT is up to you...id recommend in 750 pt games & under to just use CSMs with MoT & as the battle intensifies to either swap them out for Tsons or out right adding Tsons. just remember that if you do take CSMs to give them a rhino.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Any good 40k list needs a couple basic assets. Assault ability, firepower, resilience and objective taking ability. Your army may not be the most competitive but, if you fulfill these requirements and gain experience with the army you will have better success.

So let's see what you have.
HQ:
1x DP of Tzeentch- This guy is a fair HQ and provides you a CC element.
1x Ahriman- Axe this guy, you're already paying out the nose for your Tsons and their sorcerer's.

Troops:
2x Tsons- These guys are expensive and very much a niche unit. To give them a little more flexibility I'd suggest adding the bolt of change to your sorcerer for some duality. Also for now drop two rubrics to save points until we see where you end up.

Heavy Support:
3x Oblits: Fallen has given good advice here these guys should come in units of two and not three in order to save points and more units means more potential targets.

So, we've dropped Ahriman and four tsons putting us a 887 pts. Since I don't know what point level you're going for I'll put up a 2000 pt list.

So we'll add a second DP for a cc element and give them both bolt of change. Add in three more oblits and split them into three two man squads. And we'll toss a bolt of change onto each sorcerer. And add in a third Tsons squad.

2x DP-350
MOT
Bolt of Change
Flight

Troops:
3xTsons#8 including Sorc.-663
Bolt of Change
Rhino

Heavy Support:
Oblits-150
Oblits-150
Oblits-150

Total:1463- Huh, not a bad 1500 pt list actually. Give the rhinos each a combi-flamer/melta and your pretty golden.

So we still have around 500 pts to play with. I'd say add in two units of three man chaos bikers with meltas. They are fragile for sure but, relatively cheap and gives you some meltas and draw fire from your rhinos and oblits. the last 74 pts are for your discretion though I'd buff up the Tson squads and add combi-weapons to their rhinos.

So after a long haul here's a suggested list.

2000 pts themed Tsons

HQ:
Deamon Prince x2
Bolt of change
Doom Bolt
Flight
MOT

Elites:
None

Troops:
Tsons#9 x3
Bolt of Change
Rhino w/Combi-Flamer

Fast Attack:
Bikers#3-119 x2

Heavy Support:
Oblits#2 x3

Phew! Ok loads of anti-tank check, assault ability check, scoring ability check durability is present with all the 4+ saves. That's as balanced as I can make it off the top of my head. The bikers are disliked by most of the chaos community and for good reason. But, they add a fast interference element your list needs. Hope this helps and was worth the read.

·
Registered
941 Posts
ok, hippos 1500 pt list looks solid but I think he means wings instead of flight, and also give the prince warptime!:eek:k:

·
Registered
86 Posts
While I like Bolt of Change, I like to take 1 Gift of Chaos for the free assualt troops and it can be used twice by Aspiring Sorcerers. I think we can agree that assualt is the T-Sons weak spot.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've suggested bolt on princes and sorcerers because he needs to be able to pop tanks in order to bring those AP3 bolters to bear and they work well against monstrous creatures. Warptime is usually very good the OP can switch them in if he wishes.

·
Registered
941 Posts
popping a tank and shhoting the %$*$% out of 'em is better than a 15.75% chance of assault troops, "I think we can agree".:eek:k:

·
Registered
86 Posts
popping a tank and shhoting the %$*$% out of 'em is better than a 15.75% chance of assault troops, "I think we can agree".:eek:k:
True, I only recomended he take one, but with the ability to use it twice his chances of success are especialy when his chance is a 33.3% against MEQ's and 50% against IG, its only 16.66665% against T5 or better and thats before you figure in using it twice. Not to mention that if his opponent has any kind of anti-psychics, this is a mostly moot point.:eek:k:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well if you want to field Arhiman, that's fine. I usually keep him in a rhino and pump out powers until it gets popped and almost always, he's able to make up for his point cost. Your DP would probably be best with warptime, so that he gets the most out of his hits and has a 4+ invuln.
My asp. sorcerers always take doombolt, with the exception of facing a mech list, then I take bolt of change on at least one squad. For your rhino's, I would suggest taking pretty much nothing on them. I slap on an extra twin linked bolter so that at least it does something other than provide mobile cover after my Tsons disembark.
About the oblits, I don't really use them that much, I prefer vindicators. If you think you need more melee or melta, you can use chosen if you want. Chosen with MoT to fit your theme. Or a squad of CSM with MoT and some melta and a PW.
Word of advice, I tried a summoned greater daemon, and it did better than I thought it would. It took out a LR and a full squad of SMEs before dying. It really depends on your playstyle if a greater daemon would suit you or not. Just make sure you use a scrub champion if you want one.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
unfortunatly Ahriman is a let down. without eternal warrior he's easily instant killed and made into a waste of points. though his abilities are nice a taylored prince is deffinatly a better choice. when it comes to tzeentch princes i find the best 2 build both include warptime. the second power is usually a toss up between bolt of change for anti-tank/mc or winds of chaos for anti-horde/infantry. doombolt can be used in a pinch but i find its not worth it for a prince's caliber of model.

oblits are a must. i highly recommend 2 units of 3 and a deamonically possessed vindicator or a defiler . with the thousand sons i find its best if you ignore the fact that you have elite and heavy slots until you get above the 2500 point mark.

as for troop choices, i try to keep a mix of thousand sons and tzeentch marked CSM's. keep the thousand sons infront of the CSM's to provide a nasty cover save for them and then move the CSM's forward when the enemy gets too close and assault. alternativly you can form a wedge with your rhinos and moved forward into the heart of the opponents army with the CSM's in the lead and the T sons behind. if you use the T sons to soften up the opps units it should be a simple mattler for the CSM's to mop up whats left.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Terminators are fluffy in a TS list so you could use those to fill in your assualt gap. TS are always in squads of 9 in fluffy lists this being the number of tzeentch. I don't know how fluffy you want to be but here's the pure fluff list:
HQ
Daemon Prince-Mark of Tzeentch,warptime,wings=175

Troops
9xThousand Sons-Aspiring Sorcerer w/Doombolt,rhino w/combi melta=299:shok:
9xThousand Sons-Aspiring Sorcerer w/Doombolt,rhino w/combi melta=299
9xThousand Sons-Aspiring Sorcerer w/Doombolt,rhino w/combi melta=299

Heavy Support
2xobliterator=150
2xobliterator=150
vindicator-TL bolter=130

Total=1502

1 - 11 of 11 Posts