Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.... I'm looking to start a Space Wolves list... preferably 1500pts... I'm relatively new and have only played a few 1000pts vanilla marine games. I prefer the look of the space wolves to vanilla marines. I have some money coming in soon so any ideas what i can get for a 1500 pt list?,

Thanks

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
As a new SW player myself I highly recommend you read Lash Machine's tactica found here.

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54588

If you are coming into money then I'd invest in the battleforce, and a runepriest for your obligatory troops and HQ. There are a good deal of options in the SW codex so figure out how you want to play first, whether you want a mechanized list, a gunline, a wolf cavalry list, etc. The battleforce + runepriest (arguably the best HQ in the book) will give you a good start in any army so just think of what style of play you are interested in playing and go from there.

·
Registered
324 Posts
well, space wolves have a lot of viable builds and a lot of useful units.. I'd say look at the book and figure out a theme you want to do and post a list then people can help. The one thing you need to be careful of is not to try to do too many things at once. I'd say that's the most common mistake I've seen in lists posted here. Have a look at the book and see what you like and what you don't. The book is good enough that most things have a use (except swiftclaws and skyclaws, ugh)

I'd say the templates for lists are the following, in no particular order:

rhino rush with a lot of GHs
razorback spam
cavalry
logan wing
drop pods (but they are meh)

there's more I'm sure, but what you need to keep in mind is that you want to do things that you can do better than vanilla marines, so TH/SS termies is not a good idea to do with SW because they're more expensive than vanilla and you don't get Vulkan. What you can do then is do a 'pure' version of these armies, or you can try and make a hybrid. I would not reccomend trying to mix more than 2 elements, and even if you do mix 2 you need to be very careful not to dilute the list too much.

but go on and post a list with the models that appeal to you and then we can help you out.

(avoid wolf priests though, people keep putting them on their lists and they're just crappy)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Forty Three is talking a lot of sense when it comes to army building and unit selection. There are a good few builds to take but there are some bits of advice to be careful of on the internet when you're about to drop money on stuff - like not buying Skyclaws or Bikes. To be honest some of the advice I've seen elsewhere makes me think that some rude boy was praying to Jah with his 'chalice' made from a Sprite can when he gave it.

I'd argue the second best thing to a battleforce would be a pair of Razorbacks. You can then use them as Rhinos or Razors if you don't glue the turret and mounting onto the top and you'll have 2 squads of Grey Hunters and Scouts from the box.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys, so the best would be a battlefore + rune priest and a pair of razor backs? anything else that would be advisable? i was thinking maybe a few long fangs?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Long Fangs are good but the problem is the box comes with a only one or two of each of the weapons so the Devastator box isn't the best. Missile Launchers are actually what are Long Fangs are arguably best with so try to get your hands on them if possible.

If you can you'd have the following:

Rune Priest
2 x Grey Hunters
2 x Rhinos/Razors
Scouts
Fangs

That's easily 750 points so get some practice with that stuff and see how you get on with it.

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
scouts are meh, so only take them with a meltagun and meltabombs. We have access to one of the most versatile troops units in the game, Grey Hunters, so stock up on them, at least 3 for a 1500 point game, unless you are doing loganwing, in which case, several cyclone missile launcher toting termies are in order. Long Fangs are great, but missile launchers, while brilliant in most situations, will not give you any AV 14 killiness, so i recommend a squad of 3x ML and 2x Lascannons, or else 5x ML in a lascannon razorback, although it depends on who your usual opponents are. I don't know what is with all the Wolf Priest hating, they are not as good as good as rune priests, but they are not that bad. if you have lots of money, thunderwolf cavalry are pure brilliance. for a start, i would just get the battleforce, a rhino/razorback, a rune priest and a squad of long fangs(with missile launchers). the makings of a good army of Fenris.

·
Registered
324 Posts
to begin with what I'd do (well, actually, what I did) was buy 3 SW pack sets and 3 Razorback sets. then went to Bitsandkits and bought a bunch of Missile Launchers. You can make any power armour space wolf with the SW Pack. The razorback kit you can make it into a razor or a rhino and magnetize it. That way you have a variety of ways to go, since unless you're going with chumby's foot loganwing/TWC list you'll definitely want some hunters in rhinos.

edit: regarding wolf-priests, they are just shitty compared to the awesomeness that are the Rune Priest and the Lord. The wolf priest is a combat oriented character with only 2 wounds and a power weapon. Sure, he gives preferred enemy, but not even against everything, only what you choose, but other than that he's shitty. For the same price the Rune Priest gives infinitely more support to the whole army (psy-defence, shooting, cover, slowing enemies) amd fights just as well. If you want a combat HQ, go with a Lord in a TWC.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Like everyone has been suggesting, buy the battle force, a rune preist and a couple of razor backs and don't glue any of the turrets or hatches so they are interchangeable. I actually really rate scouts on the pyschological effect if not their actual usefulness. Five times out of six they will turn up where you want them. I prefer melta bombs and a flamer if by themselves or a flamer and wolf guard with fist and combi weapon or even the two fists, (makes a big difference in combat).

You do need some las cannons in the long fangs. I have been running two packs, one with 5 missile launchers and the other with 3 las cannons and two heavy bolters. It gives the las cannons some cheap ablative wounds including the sergant. I would play the long game regarding Thunder wolves and hope that GW release a plastic kit of them in hte next year or so unless you wish to part with a big swag of cash by either converting some of buying the resin models from MR Dandy. From what someone I met told me who bought a lot of them was that although nice models there was a hell of a lot of flashing to clean up, even for a resin model.

I would recomend buying Canis and converting him into a useful wolf lord on a Thunderwolf if you are growing your army above 1000 points but your grey hunters with pack leaders are the main work horse for your army. Scouts are a bit of a gamble in gaming terms and their bark is probabaly worse than their bite overall but it does cause your enemy to think twice about where they deploy and how they move units and can cause them to bunch up which is handy for your grey hunters and a vindicator if you have one.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well ive taken into account what everyone has been saying and ive drawn up a list which is something like this,

Rune Priest w/ wolf tail talisman, wolf tooth necklace - 115pts
Rune Priest w/ wolf tail talisman, wolf tooth necklace - 115pts
Grey Hunters (x5) w/ melta gun - 80pts
Razorback w/ twin linked heavy bolters - 35pts
Grey Hunters (x5) w/ flamer - 75pts
Grey Hunters (x10) w/ x2 flamer + power fist - 175pts
Razorback w/ twin linked lascannon - 70pts
Grey Hunters (x10) w/ x2 melta guns + power fist -180pts
Razorback w/ twin linked lascannon - 70pts
Long Fangs (x6) w/ x5 missile launchers -140pts
Razorback w/ twin linked lascannon -70pts
Long Fangs (x6) w/ x3 lascannons + x2 plasma cannons - 205pts

and at that its still only 1400 pts... so anyone have any advice? as seen ive gone with the razorback spam xD

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
maybe add in 3 wolf guard with combi meltas and a powerfist or two? this looks pretty solid to me now, but one thing i would do would be to swap at least on of the razorback's TL lascannon for a las-plas. drop the plasma cannons for 2 heavy bolters, you need the ablative wounds. by the looks of it, your enemies wont be getting too close to you, so there is no need for too much emphasis on close combat( a shame for space wolves :biggrin:). this is like a space wolf leafblower list. a cool tactic for this would be to keep all of the razors empty and advance them in a line down the field blasting, backed up by some long fang firepower. run the GH behind the razors, capturing objectives from the fleeing enemies :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know this list looks a little leafblower and i know its not the best for space wolves but its because im used to making vanilla marine lists so not usually willing to get into cc. Any advice on how to make it a bit better with the hole CC goodness?

·
Registered
537 Posts
All of your Razorbacks are too cheap, they should be 40pts and 75pts. The Rune preists work best firing from the top hatch of a rhino so I would recomend swaping two razor backs into two rhinos with 7 Greyhunters in each with Wolf standard, power fist and mark of the Wulfen. I Would also add a pack leader to each of the grey hunter squads, ideally with power fist and combi weapon.

The Rune priests really do not need wolf tooth necklace or a wolf tailsmen as they are not great in close combat and they have a 4+ dispel anyway. They have to be different from each other but I would at least give them a chooser of the slain each and then give one presit Living Lightening and Jaws of the world Wolf and teh other Living lightening and Murderous Hurricane.

As Mc Muffin has said I would probabaly drop the plasma cannons for heavy bolters. I feel that the razorbacks for the long fangs is probabaly points that could be better spent elsewhere such as a vindicator to give the enemy something to shoot at and take the heat off the rhinos and razorbacks. i would make all the razorbacks Las - Plas which is quite easy to convert. you really do not want more than 12 Kill points available in 1500 points if you can help it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts