Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all so i have a 2000 pnt Templar army and i can never really seem to win. My crusade squads usally get blasted away before they can do anything and all I usally do is have my land raider crusader take my assult terms in the fray with Sword Brethern in a Rhino but they can only do so much. So what am I doing wrong. Thanks for any help.

Heres my army for refrence too

HQ
Helbrecht
Emp Champion

Elite
Term - AC/CML/rest have CF and SB - take them in Drop Pod
CC Term - 3 with Hammers and sheilds and 2 TLC
10 Sword Brethern - term honors - rhino

Troops
2 20 man Crusade Squads

Heavy Support
Land Raider Crusader

·
Registered
87 Posts
List looks ok, though I would drop Helbrecht and use the points to take a Marshal and probably another small Crusader squad or increase the numbers in one of the Terminator Squads.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
A friend of mine at the local GW, is a brilliant player, And when he uses his Black templars, i don't even bother playing him.

He runs like 2 5 man troop choices, then banks every last point in Terminators and Land Raiders. I dunno how he did it, i know nothing about Templars, but he just wrecked me.

Theres something to think about. :p

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi all so i have a 2000 pnt Templar army and i can never really seem to win. My crusade squads usally get blasted away before they can do anything and all I usally do is have my land raider crusader take my assult terms in the fray with Sword Brethern in a Rhino but they can only do so much. So what am I doing wrong. Thanks for any help.

Heres my army for refrence too

HQ
Helbrecht
Emp Champion

Elite
Term - AC/CML/rest have CF and SB - take them in Drop Pod
CC Term - 3 with Hammers and sheilds and 2 TLC
10 Sword Brethern - term honors - rhino

Troops
2 20 man Crusade Squads

Heavy Support
Land Raider Crusader
I'd agree... Ditch Helbrecht and get a regular Marshall and choose wargear that supports your strategy. If you have 20 man Crusade squads that's a lot of Neophytes to be spending points on. I'd remove most, if not all of the neos and consider getting a small command squad to go with your Marshal.

With the Marshal and Command Squad, you can load them into the LRC or Rhino to get them forward and make sure that Marshal has a Teleport Homer.

Why? 'cause at least one of those Terminator squads needs to come in on Teleport. That frees the drop pod up to deliver either a Crusader Squad or the Sword Brethren.

Remember that your Black Templars are at their best in Assaults, so you want to get them up in your opponent's face as fast as possible. This also limits their exposure to enemy fire. You have close combat Termies. That's good. You could even get frisky and make them into a Sword Brethren Terminator Command Squad, equip your Marshall with a Terminator suit and put 'em in the LRC. (I'd say teleport them down, but you want them close to the enemy and teleportation near enemy units ain't safe.)

Individual Black Templars are excellent in Assault so numbers are a good thing. Make sure your Emperor's Champ has AACNMTO to make the most of their ability.

In short: Use whatever means at your disposal to put your units toe to toe with the enemy rapidly. Drop pods, teleportation, vehicles.. use it all. Multiple attack vectors. Come in behind and on the flanks. Don't allow your opponent the luxury of a "front line."

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright good tips. Thanks alot. So are the crusade squads really not worth it? 40 attacks plus another 20 if I charge seemed pretty insane. And should I keep or drop my shooty term squad?

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you want to footslog have the crusader squads with at LEAST 15 and take a meltagun and powerfist. Try to have at least 3 and try to put a character in each unit, not only will you get a few more power weapon attacks but those crusader seals are life-savers and if one of them has a teleport homer your termies can come on without the risk of scatter. Neophytes are there just to get the initiates into CC so don't worry about them if they die.

The problem with footslogging templars is unless you saturate the board with models and make smart use of cover things like vindicators and plasma cannons WILL destroy you, but if you do manage to get into combat you will walk over almost anything.

Also drop the shooty termies, they do very little for their points cost. Either use the points on another crusader squad or go for some assault termies.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Alright good tips. Thanks alot. So are the crusade squads really not worth it? 40 attacks plus another 20 if I charge seemed pretty insane. And should I keep or drop my shooty term squad?
Like fishywinkles said, if you go the footslogging route then having the meat shields in the Crusader Squads is useful.

As for the huge number of attacks though, honestly, when rolling your attacks if you have AACNMTO you're re-rolling misses anyway so there aren't many occasions when having 60 attacks is really needed. I mean, yeah, it's lots of fun to watch your opponent's face when you're pouring dice all over the table but ultimately you'll wind up scoring more hits and damage than you need and that's a waste.

I'd rather deliver 2 10 man Crusader squads in pods than run a 20 man squad across the board. More expensive yes, but the points will get more mileage.

I also agree, somewhat, with fishywinkles on the Terminators. All mine are power fist/storm bolter (with an AC and Cyclone) so I've had to make do, but I admit it's nice to have all those power fists when they roll up onto a vehicle yet still be able to return fire at range.

The problem I've always had with close combat Terminators is that you can go 3 ways:

-All Lightning Claws. Unimaginably dangerous to enemy infantry, useless against enemy armor and helpless at range
-All Thunderhammer/Storm Shields. Decent against infantry, decent against armor, still helpless at range
-Mix the two and be okay in Assaults of all types but still helpless at range.

I prefer the flexibility of the Powerfist/Storm Bolter combo. Then again, my Terminators' role is more heavy support than hand to hand anyway.

In the final analysis whether your Terminators give you the right bang for your buck has everything to do with the role you use them in on the table.

·
Registered
154 Posts
In the final analysis whether your Terminators give you the right bang for your buck has everything to do with the role you use them in on the table.
This is essentially what you need to think about when putting terminators in your list as black templars. Shooting termies can be worth it points wise, but if you use them as your anti-tank you might want to consider predators, vindicators or dreadnoughts who all can do nasty things to enemy tanks.

I personally use 2 units of 5 assault termies with Furious Charge, 3 LC and 2 TH/SS and depending on my opponent I will use them in one of 2 ways.

1. As a second wave unit to do a precision strike. At 2000 points I will usually take a chaplain (in a crusader squad) and a marshal (with a jump pack in some assault marines) and give them both teleport homers. As 90% of my army will be trying to swarm the enemy on the turn the termies become available the units with the teleport homers should be fairly close allowing the termies to deepstrike almost right on the enemy (though depending on who you're fighting the distance between the termies and the enemy will vary) and then be in prime assault position next turn.

2. As a counter assault. This is usually what I will do vs assault based armies as they won't have the shooting to wipe out a single unit of termies in one turn and I don't have to worry about getting to an enemy before they try to reposition as the enemy will want to get close as well. The termies will start on the board and will be positioned so that they are next to as many crusader squads as possible so that when the enemy's units get into assault with my crusader squads they should be in prime position to be assaulted next turn.

One thing I have learned with footslogging templars (the hard way mind you) is that everything depends on positioning and limiting the effectiveness of your opponents anti-meq weapons. This generally means taking full advantage of cover and making sure you ranti-tank weapons stun or shake as many of your enemies shooty vehicles as possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts