Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day guys,

i'm thinking of creating a small 500pnt allied detachment for my TS 1k list to take the total to 1500.
i haven't got the daemons codex yet as not sure if i'm going to do it yet. But some ideas would be appreciated for if i do look into it.
my TS 1K list consists of

sorcerer
5 terminators
2*8 rubric w/aspiring sorcerer
pred HB sponsons
pred LC sponsons

so looking for some ideas that would compliment this list. as you can see it is a foot slogging list. I was thinking to use some tzeentch daemons for some fast attack but not really sure quite what to do or where to start.

cheers Woodzee

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Well, the first question is really if you want a Herald or a Lord of Change. The Herald is cheap as dirt and would let you get some other units, but the LoC would take up about 300 of those 500 points when kitted out. On the other hand, the LoC has a combat statline near that of a Bloodthirster, so it's damned scary--especially given that it comes ML2 base. The Herald could take a Grimoire or Portalglyph (Exalted Reward, swapped), perhaps some Mastery Levels if you want the expenditure (though I'll be honest--the ML1 Herald with Prescience is worth the dirt cheap cost by himself, let alone before upgrades--but you could also go for Flickering Fire to complement whatever squad he's in, with more MLs), and if you're going for a shooty block of Horrors, perhaps even the Strength-buffing Locus.

Troops: Horrors, of course. Have to have a unit of them in, for the allied detachment. I tend towards a single squad of 10 (perhaps 11 for the extra d6 shots), but you could go large if you want--large being most useful with a Herald with the Locus and some serious Warp Charges to burn on Prescience and Flickering Flames. Still, I find relying on my enemy failing two Deny the Witch rolls... isn't too effective against many targets, so I go minimalist, myself. Plus if you have a big, squishy unit of Horrors, you probably want to invest in an ADL to protect them, and the last thing your 1ksons need is another 4+ save, so an ADL doesn't synergize too well at this low a points level.

So: if you took a LoC or a buffed Herald in a squad of Horrors, you probably have about 100 points left. Could grab a few Screamers and call it a night. If you went a minimum 10 Horrors and a cheap Herald (ML1 or 2 with an Exalted Reward, say), you still have more than half of your 500 points left to spend, so have some options.

- My personal favorite would probably be a Soul Grinder (yes, even of Tzeentch rather than Nurgle he still packs a serious punch--and is near untouchable if Grimoired) with Phlegm.
- You did say you wanted some mobile fast attack style units though, which could well be Flamers. I'm inclined to not take Flamers given their new ruleset (S4 AP4, plus Warpflame, rather than their old "ignore all armor and cover and wound on 4+"), though they can still lay some serious pain en masse and are pretty fast, with their jump infantry move.
- Screamers I prefer to Flamers, since they're faster, have better anti-tank, and have a pseudo-vector strike. Stick your Herald on a Disc and he doesn't have to hang back with the rest of your army (though you might want him hanging back with the rest where his Prescience can be most useful, especially given his lackluster combat statline).
- There's nothing to keep you from taking a mid-sized squad of Flamers and a mid-sized squad of Screamers, of course, for some serious mobile hitting power. Or one and a Soul Grinder.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Never underestimate a nice squad of 16 horrors with a herald for prescience and his own fireballs all locked up nicely in a bastion with 4 heavy bolters pointing forward and a nice Icarus / Quad Gun on the roof. The herald if lv3 will cast prescience on himself and the unit he is in for rerolling misses on shooting, while also firing 3D6 fireballs as precision shots (as he is a character) and the 16 horrors will fire out 4D6 fireballs as well at S6 (if locus'd) AP4 and all being precision shots (cos the iridescent horror can be the focus for casting and counts as a character).
Top that off with the fact that 4 of those happy horrors involving in shooting out fireballs have nothing better to do than fire the 4 heavy bolters for another 12 S5 AP4 shots with rerolling misses, and 1 on the Icarus / quad gun as well (also reroll misses).

Total cost for that unit including herald is about 350-400pts with the fortification and extra gun on top.

It is a lot of points for 7-42 S6 AP4 shots (all precision shots) + 12 S5 AP4 shots + Quad gun or Icarus, all rerolling misses.
But they are a pain to kill because they are in an AV 14 all round bunker what protects them from a lot of nastys unless they come in through the door and melee you.

If you want top it off with a portal glyph what you can throw down behind the bastion as well or something and spawn new lovely horrors every turn for even more firepower.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input guys.
I think i'll go and get me a codex and build this on the side without my regular friends knowing about it and just land it on them in one of our game days.

so horrors are the basics for troops and then build around them.
who knows i'll probably end up adding a daemon army to my lists as well.

once again cheers
Woodzee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts