Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im trying to paint some models for my friend and i took an attempt at a herald of korne, the idea was to have him like a ghost rider theme with his legs a flames, bu i wanted to have the flames coming from the body outwards and have the feet blackened as he would be putting the flame out as he moved.

so im really looking for help as to what i should or could have done...
cheers guys

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I don't know if this will be any help or not but a good trick I found a while ago is to over thin black paint until the pigment starts to split out, paint this on like a wash or glaze and it creates a soot type effect that looks pretty good. It might help with the feet, it requires a huge number of coats to build up but looks good once done.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes thats what ive done here but you cant see it on the photo, this is just another frustrating example of my skill not matching my visions :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Color is there the flames aren't.. Maybe sculpt some little flames on the legs or paint some freehand flames. That way the jugger legs won't quite look like they are taken out of a rainbow. Solid painting though!!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
The blending on the sword is very well done. I agree with Lokil however, they are not flames, just a glowing leg. The back of the Juggarnaught looks a bit flat and could do with a highlight - if you struggle with highlights then even a drydrush will make it pop more.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Hey Fatmantis,

I think the blending is working, but if I understand your goal, you're missing tongues of flame.

You have a few options with painting them,

1) just paint them up the legs the same way you've done the blending
2) do the blending as you have then use black and a detail brushes to cut into the gradient and create the dark negative spaces between the tongues of fire.
3) similarly, paint in tongues of flame, but have some that are less bright and saturated, our crossing under others to create the illusion of depth

And with any of these techniques you can angle the flames to give directionality and a sense of movement.

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ Dakingofchaos due to the photo you cant see the highlights very well it has a sublte grey blend and a edge highlight. but i get your meaning.

@Lokil i never even thought of sculpting flames that would have been epic.....if i could sculpt hahah

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey Fatmantis,

1) just paint them up the legs the same way you've done the blending
2) do the blending as you have then use black and a detail brushes to cut into the gradient and create the dark negative spaces between the tongues of fire.
3) similarly, paint in tongues of flame, but have some that are less bright and saturated, our crossing under others to create the illusion of depth

And with any of these techniques you can angle the flames to give directionality and a sense of movement.

I hope that helps!
great help thanks....again i get frustrated with my skill vs vision...iv read what you've said but cant figure out how to do it...i guess its time to pull out my practice mini and get to work. thanks ever so much

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you want to actually represent them with plastic parts, other than the various flaming bits that come on various GW sprues how about trying horse manes?

This may sound odd, but I've attached them to flamer muzzles before and they look decent when painted up. With a bit of careful modelling you could maybe apply them to the legs of the Herald too.

The ones I used were from an old High Elf cavalry kit which may be OOP. Have a look around though, anything that's sculpted as flowing hair could work nicely as tongues of flame.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats a good idea i have some flamer flames in a box somewhere that would work great. thanks for that

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you are good with an airbrush, you could try some true flames. It would be a hard mode paint job on a smaller model, but it looks good on cars lol. Here's some tuts I had in my favs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts