Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
I've not played 40k since 6th edition, and honestly, i'm probably not going to play 9th edition either, but, I am collecting the imperium magazines as I like painting the armies and as such I may end up playing a game or two. I've not bought the official rules yet but I did buy the space marine codex today, more so I can familiarise myself with all these new unites that have come out than anything, but reading through (bits) of it, im left with a lot of huh? moments.

Can someone give me a quick over view of how an army is put together now? whats this 'power' stuff about?

Also, there is a bit in the codex that says

"If an entry has a unit of x pts/model, then the unit costs x points for every model in that unit. You must then add the points for each weapon, or other items of wargear, thats is included in that unit if it is listed in that units entry. (weapons and other wargear not listed in a units entry cost no additional points to include in that unit)."

Now the first sentence makes sense, that's how it's always been been, but the rest seems back to front. It was always the weapons and wargear listed in a units description were included in the units cost and any additional weapons, so if you upgraded from a bolter to a plasma gun for example, would incur additional costs.

What's going on?

There are some other unclear entries as well (looks like its been really poorly written) but this was the main one the has me scratching my head.

·
Registered
Space marines ( 13th Legion/ Ultramarines chapter), tyranids, Drukhari, Custodes, SoS,
168 Posts
Hey all.
I've not played 40k since 6th edition, and honestly, i'm probably not going to play 9th edition either, but, I am collecting the imperium magazines as I like painting the armies and as such I may end up playing a game or two. I've not bought the official rules yet but I did buy the space marine codex today, more so I can familiarise myself with all these new unites that have come out than anything, but reading through (bits) of it, im left with a lot of huh? moments.

Can someone give me a quick over view of how an army is put together now? whats this 'power' stuff about?

Also, there is a bit in the codex that says

"If an entry has a unit of x pts/model, then the unit costs x points for every model in that unit. You must then add the points for each weapon, or other items of wargear, thats is included in that unit if it is listed in that units entry. (weapons and other wargear not listed in a units entry cost no additional points to include in that unit)."

Now the first sentence makes sense, that's how it's always been been, but the rest seems back to front. It was always the weapons and wargear listed in a units description were included in the units cost and any additional weapons, so if you upgraded from a bolter to a plasma gun for example, would incur additional costs.

What's going on?

There are some other unclear entries as well (looks like its been really poorly written) but this was the main one the has me scratching my head.
Hi,

In 9th edition, there are three types of play system- open, matched and narrative. The power level generally alludes to the power level, where you simply select a unit, the number of models in the unit and use the power level to limit game size (similar to points values in previous versions.

Matched play is like it has been in previous editions. However, in 9th edition, when selecting the units and referring to points costs, you need to refer to the points values section of your codex (or the most up to date chapter approved).

When building an army you need to pick a detachment size (patrol, batallion, brigade, etc). There are mandatory types of unit required in each detachment, while optional slots can be omitted, according to game size. With this you all receive stratgem points, which you can use to either boost unit abilities, deployment advantages, force leadership checks, etc. I recommend getting the base rule book and reading through it if and when you can. The basic rules will allow you to run a standard game.

When selecting a unit, the base cost of the default weapons is generally included in the points values, with upgrades and alternative weapon loadouts costing additional points (similar to previous editions).

To use your example, the change to plasma gun would add points to the cost of the unit ( e.g. +5 pts). In previous editions the units were balanced according to their model profile, with all weapons have individual costs. They have streamlined this factor into its current incarnation.

In regards to unclear rules and/or conflicting special rules, check the various FAQ's for current changes. Some have been retcon'd, while others are still awaiting review. GW generally does try to get around to fixing loopholes. If you have any issues drop them an email for clarification.

If you are starting out with 9th edition, I recommend using the power system to help get your head around the list building and to ease yourself back into the hobby. Either way, do what you want and what works well for you.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

To use your example, the change to plasma gun would add points to the cost of the unit ( e.g. +5 pts). In previous editions the units were balanced according to their model profile, with all weapons have individual costs. They have streamlined this factor into its current incarnation.
Previously basic weapon costs were included. The quote I posted says all weapons have to be added. Is the quote, which is taken direct from the space marine codex, wrong? I'm assuming it is.

·
Registered
Space marines ( 13th Legion/ Ultramarines chapter), tyranids, Drukhari, Custodes, SoS,
168 Posts
Previously basic weapon costs were included. The quote I posted says all weapons have to be added. Is the quote, which is taken direct from the space marine codex, wrong? I'm assuming it is.
The codex (which is in front of me) states: 'You must add points for each weapon, or other item of wargear, that is included in the unit if it is listed in that unit's entry (weapons and other wargear not listed in a unit's entry cost no additional points to include in that unit)'

This essentially relates tot he points values directory at the back of the codex. If a weapon (such as bolt gun for tactical squad marines) is not included in the points cost, then it is to be assumed it is included in the base points cost of that unit.

So, the wording is correct. If the weapon profile is not listed in the points values list, then you can include the weapon, according to the profile, for no additional cost.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The codex (which is in front of me) states: 'You must add points for each weapon, or other item of wargear, that is included in the unit if it is listed in that unit's entry (weapons and other wargear not listed in a unit's entry cost no additional points to include in that unit)'

This essentially relates tot he points values directory at the back of the codex. If a weapon (such as bolt gun for tactical squad marines) is not included in the points cost, then it is to be assumed it is included in the base points cost of that unit.

So, the wording is correct. If the weapon profile is not listed in the points values list, then you can include the weapon, according to the profile, for no additional cost.

Hope that helps :)
Not really.

If your saying the wording is correct then, where a unit is listed as having a bolter, the cost would be the model cost plus the bolter cost, but if they have the option to change the bolter out for a missile launcher, the missile launcher costs nothing - this is the exact opposite of how it used to be.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well the new edition is meant to be streamlined, and eliminate how convoluted the rules and matched play system was in previous iterations (essentially giving newer players an easier entry point into the hobby). Given it is a headache initially, especially if you are indoctrinated in the previous versions, but you get used to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts