(4)Wolf Guard-172
-Terminator Armour
-Two Wolf Claws
-Drop Pod-35
(1)Arjac Rockfist

(10)Grey hunters-185
-Melta Gun x2
-Drop Pod-35

Basic Idea is Bjorn gets into the grey hunters drop pod. Logan gets in the wolf guard pack that doesnt have Arjac. First turn 3 Venerable dreds drop with their Multi-Meltas and shoot down tanks, next turns Terminators come in and do what they do. Grey hunters Walk in and take objectives.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i am unsure if you can do anything you want to...

first off im pretty sure you cant deploy anything in a dedicated transport other than IC's and the thing that took the transport.

also bjorn and logan have the same saga, im pretty sure you cant take them both at the same time. unless i miss read it you can only take one named hq with the same saga or one anything else that can have a saga, no 2 matching saga's unless it's one of each, ie bjorn and a ven dread with saga of majesty would be ok.

thats just my interpretation though, im unsure if thats correct.

besides that, if your going to just use the grey hunters for walking onto objectives and stealing their pod, which im still unsure is legal, why upgrade them so much? 2 melta guns? there should be nothing that close to your table edge let alone anything with an AV.

also your wolf guard, why lightning claws instead of a heavy weapon, say cyclone missile launchers. they have no ranged threat and once they come in they might get one target taken care of, maybe, and then they are walking around slow as snails.

what if they hold in reserves and make you drop in first before they come on the field. that being a big problem with many pod armies is really problematic for you. they can completely avoid you and shoot you down, and assault on their terms.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'd say take venerable off your dreads. Their real threat range is twelve inches for the double pen and oddly enough you conveniently end up in your opponent's melta range. Even with re-rolls the meltas will still kill your dreads. I'd swap them out for more wolf guard with multi-meltas and stick logan with them for some combo fun.

I agree with true claw about adding in some ranged elements to your terminators. Also, you cannot put a unit into another's dedicated transport at the start of the game so Bjorn is a sad panda.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also bjorn and logan have the same saga, im pretty sure you cant take them both at the same time. unless i miss read it you can only take one named hq with the same saga or one anything else that can have a saga, no 2 matching saga's unless it's one of each, ie bjorn and a ven dread with saga of majesty would be ok.

thats just my interpretation though, im unsure if thats correct.

besides that, if your going to just use the grey hunters for walking onto objectives and stealing their pod, which im still unsure is legal, why upgrade them so much? 2 melta guns? there should be nothing that close to your table edge let alone anything with an AV.

also your wolf guard, why lightning claws instead of a heavy weapon, say cyclone missile launchers. they have no ranged threat and once they come in they might get one target taken care of, maybe, and then they are walking around slow as snails.

what if they hold in reserves and make you drop in first before they come on the field. that being a big problem with many pod armies is really problematic for you. they can completely avoid you and shoot you down, and assault on their terms.
I agree that pod armys can be easily out menuvered. my wolf guard have WOLF claws because i intend to drop them after the dreds, so my opponent will have to chose to fight them in CC or face 4 venerable drednoughts and its been my experience to say that most of the time they avoid 4 dred's. and there-for I dont need to shoot im in assult, and wolf claws with prefered enemy from logan i get rerolls on hits and wounds.......
Melta gun on grey hunters is mostly point filled but i get out flanked by too many baal preds from blood angels to not take them
Im not sure about 2 named charactors having same sage, but I need logan for wolf guard and HQ dred is beast so hoping it goes my way in FaQ thanks for advice!

·
Registered
155 Posts
lightning claws, wolf claws, what ever, you knew what i meant. also, they are S4, reroll to hit and to wound is nice but what if they get assaulted by a defiler or dreadnought. you cant do crap. plus what about bloodthirsters? T6 and WS10. so you need 5 to hit and 6 to wound. yeah you get re rolls but you would still have preferred enemy with a thunder hammer except now you wound on 2's. plus you keep your storm bolter and if you dont kill the blood thirster or tank you still auto stun or knock the thirster to int1. plus it cost's the same thing but you still have a gun to shoot. it may not be an awesome gun but it's better than not shooting at all.

also when choosing between a rock and a hard place i usually choose the third option, neither. what if they just back away and stack wounds until you fail your 2+? with a lash prince you just get lashed away and then he shoots you, you run back and he lashes you away again.

you have barley any psychic protection, you spent way to much on HQ's, and you have very little when it comes to troops in 1850+. 20 guys? walking around? 2 vindicators will wreck you. or 2 defliers or 3 oblitz. what about chaos demons? your power weapons are useless and they all have power weapons (blood letters) now your out numbered, out gunned and have the same saves. 5+. plus 2 bloodthirsters and some deamon princes? he can have 2 bloodthirsters, 2 deamon princes and 3 ten man blood letter groups, all of khorne, and barely know how to play and wreck you. all your eggs are in one small basket that's very fragile and in no way anything more than a one trick pony.

i played a 2000 point game against deamons today, i user 10 terminators with logan, but i put mine in landraiders and i won primary, secondary, and tertiary. hows that for a flawless victory? then again, i know what im doing...

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I was fairly positive that Bjorn, no matter how awesome he is, has bad knees and thus cannot take a drop pod or be put into another drop pod.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I was fairly positive that Bjorn, no matter how awesome he is, has bad knees and thus cannot take a drop pod or be put into another drop pod.
No sir, you are correct.

As for the army, Trueclaw has the right of it. Anything that's willing to shoot or assault the Ven Dreads will mash them quite easily - think multiple meltaguns or Termie Assault Squads while anything that wants to shoot your Wolf Guard will simply move out of range of retribution and unload shots into you.

Your tactic is to drop down and stand in front of the enemy for a turn with hardly any guns and hope you kill everything? You've got 3 MultiMeltas, an Asscan or Plasma on Bjorn, 2 Meltaguns and Arjac. Nothing apart from the Plasma has range over 24" so any half-assed opponent will simply target your Ven Dreads and force your infantry to chase his tanks. That's not a good plan.

As others have said you need ranged firepower in there. Cyclone Missiles and Meltaguns will fit the bill nicely. If you're wondering where the points come from you can drop Bjorn. Pack in another Troops choice while you're at it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
im fairly sure that his knees don't matter because he doesn't have the option of coming in with a pod and you can not deploy a model who isn't an IC in some one else's dedicated transport. not possible. can't be done.

also you don't need an FAQ to find out if you can use two units with the same saga, read the codex, it says you cant unless one is named and the other isn't. ie wolf lord and ragnar, bjorn and ven dread, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts