Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone in the Fantasy section of this forum. I am in a slight problem I am buying my friends army off of him and need to figure out what units to buy next

from his army I have

1 Carnosaur with Rider (We have nicknamed it Fufy)
2 Skink Priests
40 Sauros Warriors
10 Temple Guard
20 Skinks
1 Old Blood Warrior

I am thinking about buying a Slann or two along with some Sallies maybe a Razordon? but after that I'm at a lost so here is where you guys come in

I would like you're help

in your reply post these three things

What Lore should a Slaan take? I'm thinking Lore of Light to give them that nifty little I10 W10 spell

What should be my next unit to buy (Either list the third or a replacement of the two listed)

What are some good magic items for these units? I'm new to the game so I don't know what would be good

EVERYTHING MUST HAVE REASONS

·
Registered
825 Posts
What Lore should a Slaan take? I'm thinking Lore of Light to give them that nifty little I10 W10 spell
Light is good for Saurus heavy armies, especially if you want to field some Saurus Cavalry. However, it's not that useful for rounded mixed armies with Skinks, Chameleons, the odd Steg and weapon beastie.

It also depends on what you want to do. Lore of Death is amazing if you have a few Salamanders. -3 LD to your opponent, fry them with a Sallie, panic test on even 1 single casualty on trash leadership.

Beasts is good if you have multiple Steg + Krox. -1 difficulty to cast the buff spells combined with a free dice from rumination means you won't get easily shafted with a low power pool. The down side to beasts is you cannot cast Kadon. So you efectively have a lore with noe power spell.

Life gets you Dwellers, the single most powerful spell in the game. It also gets you regrowth and flesh to stone. Nothing says I win like a block of 40 T8 Saurus that you can bring back from the dead.

When it comes down to it, there really is no right or wrong lore for a frog. It's down to what you like the feel of.

What should be my next unit to buy (Either list the third or a replacement of the two listed)
1: Frog
2: Increase your Temple Guard to at least 30
3: Skink Priest on Steg.

Nuff Said.

What are some good magic items for these units? I'm new to the game so I don't know what would be good
Your Slann MUST have Cupped hands. He's goping to be the single biggest points investment so keeping him alive is priority 1. Especialy given his magical capabilities. Cupped hands takes your miscast and gives it to your opponent. Nothing's funnier than giving the enemy lvl4 -3 Wizard levels and laughing as he loses all his spells.

I like to take a Skar Vet with the Shield of the Mirrored Pool and stick him in my frog unit. Pop a semi decent weapon on him and he can issue and acept challenegs just fine and the shield gives you fantastic protection against magic missiles.

Cube of Darkness is a nice item to have. Especially if your opponent has powerful casters as you can remove one of his magic phases. This makes Teclis cry on the days he doesn't roll a double.

If you add cavalry at any point, the terror banner is a nice tool for them, especially if you go the lore of Death route and throw -3 LD about.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks expect some rep, you don't think 2 skink priests is enough?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I just played in a small 5 game tourney (38 players but very highly competitive and experienced players with two that played for US in ETC and a dozen or more ranked in US and known Indy GT winners or placers). Lizardmen armies did extremely well (second only to Skaven) and are very good/competitive in 8th edition due to casting abilities of the Slann and abilities of the units.

In 8th edition, I would only go with a Slann and one skink priest (either in unit or on Engine of the Gods). So you want 1 Slann, 1 skink priest on foot and 1 skink priest on Stegadon kitted as an engine of the gods. Anything more is not worthwhile for the points cost; adding another caster only adds more possible spells (you get 3 on the EOTG and are restricted to Lore of Heavens) and a 1/6 possibility of channeling.

Additionally:
You need at least a total of 20 temple guard (4 ranks by six wide with Slann taking up 4 slots) and preferrably 26 for larger points battles.
2 salamander models with handlers and maybe 2 razordon models (some like their stand and shoot abilities);
3 or 4 Teradon riders,
1 or 2 scar vet heroes
blocks of Saurus warriors (with spears and shields or with handweapon and shield needs to be considered) total up to 60 models
Skinks: ranked with javelins up to 24 (quick to fire javelins with poison and greater range makes this unit more valuable than before)
Krox: 3 (run in second rank of a block of skinks and FAQ change in great reach rule makes them harder to kill in combat); they get stomp against infantry if put in front but get 3 hits with great weapons without being hit in combat in the second rank now; the move rate of 6 of a skink and krox unit makes it interesting for Lizardmen armies).
Skink skirmishers: 20 total

With the Slann and skink priest on steg, that is about 3000+ points of models not counting magic items and banners and command model points. That would give you the flexibility to try different options and play standard 2500 point battles (like one Saurus warrior block with a Scar Vet and one skink and Krox block plus some skink skirmishers for core or 2 Saurus warrior blocks plus skink skirmishers as alternative).

Additions/Options:
A second stegadon (make so that you can run both gaint bow or blowpipe options)
A unit or 2 of chameleon skinks for war machine hunting (poisoned shooting is great against their high T)
A couple more Salamanders and razordons

You need to be able to go after war machines quickly. They are the greatest threat and you will see cannons from dwarves and empire a lot in 8th edition. Teradons and chameleons (scouts and skirmishers) can do that.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks a lot man

my apologies btw I found out it's 20 temple guard not 10

·
Registered
361 Posts
thanks a lot for this post, am just starting an lizardmen army (first time iv played warhammer since 1997 lol)

and its pritty much sumed up everything iv needed to know.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'd go Lore of Life. Initiative buffs from Lore of Light are good for lizards, except that Lizards tend to suffer against gunlines, and the extra brickness gained from Life is invaluable. On top of this the main problems raised by low initiative can be solved by making your guys tougher (doesn't matter if swordmasters strike first with great weapons if they can't hurt you), and most attacks that prey on low initiative (i.e. the purple sun) are magical, and can usually be dealt with via the becalming cogitation. But like Whizzwang said, frogs are gonna rock with pretty much any lore, so long as you have a plan for it. The cupped hands are awesome-nothing like watching an opponent who's never played against lizards scratch their heads as you keep casting spells in order to get a miscast.

Sallies are worth their weight in gold. No wait, make that super-gold, an incredibly rare and exotic gold yet to be discovered by man.

as for a scar veteran's equipment, I take sword of the hornet, light armour, enchanted shield. Tough, cheap effective, and strikes first. And I personally think that 2 skink priests + frog should be enough magical support. EOFTG is useful if you've got the points, but I'd rather a strong core of saurus first.

Terradons or chameleons essential for taking out war machines.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well here's what I think(didn't read the posts of others, so I'm sorry if I'm just repeating things)

Well what to buy: A Slann, he's the third best mage in the game, only archmage with Book of Hoeth and Teclis beat him.
Bump the TG up to 20, that's a great number.
And Salamandeers, a bucket load of sallie's, they rock
And some Teradons or Chameleon Skinks to kill warmachines.

One thing: If you have a Slann field 1 Skink Priest at max, your Slann will use the whole PD pool and will stay alive if your smart and don't have incredible bad luck, with 5 wounds and a 4+ ward he'll stay alive.

About Saurus, perhaps buy some more, 24(6x4) is a great number.
And about Lore choice you have to choose what you like, but if your going saurus heavy with a big TG block I recommend Light

1 - 10 of 10 Posts