Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in getting into WFB, I’ve been thinking a lot about the Magic phase. Every lore has some sort of “nuke” spell… Example, the Lore of Life (Dwellers) = Everybody takes a Str test or dies. So it’s pretty clear that you will need to have some sort of magical defense (the consequences are going to be horrible if you don’t.. as evidenced by my first game… my opponent had NONE so he couldn’t stop me from buffing the hell out of my Saurus and then casting Dwellers on his blocks) – if you’re just using the dispel pool dice, then you can either stop me from enhancing troops or nuking you but probably not both… So it feels like you gotta have something that can get rid of spells… or you’re doomed.

So here’s my issue… Right now my Slann is tooled up to about 400 points. He has the “Immune to physical attacks” discipline, and the “gets and power die per spell” discipline. Then I add in the Plaque of Tepok to get an extra spell and the 2+ vs ranged attacks thingy… So unless you assault him, he’s pretty close to being invulnerable and he knows 5 spells… But I’ve got a TONNE of points sunk into this one guy… Granted he’s probably the best mage in the game… but he’s EXPENSIVE. I’ve been focusing on the Lore of Life, and the throne of vines makes him Miscast proof… and the buffs he can give make the other elements of the list really nasty…

But is that the right way to approach things with the Lizards?

If I weren’t going to run him, then I would probably take Skink Priests with dispel scrolls… so call it 200 points recovered in opportunity cost… So when I look at what I would recover by dropping the Slann, it’s essentially another big block of troops or 3 salamanders or something… very useful… but it begs the question how effective is my army without it?

So end of the day…. I'm thinking it makes sense to base my army list off of having a very strong caster. It feels a bit wrong though cause he's effectively the linchpin of my army and I'm used to 40K where you don't build linchpin lists,,, Or, perhaps, the Lizards are like Marine Biker lists where you only really get viable at a certain points level? In small games, I could see him as being WAAYY overpriced… at which point it's a CC character + Skink Priest to dispel. But at 1500+ it just seems necessary to build your list around him.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I believe the stuff you've mentioned are your best choices for protecting a Slann, mainly the Skink priests with a Dispel Scroll, or the Cube item from the Lizardmen army book itself. With Ethereal and a 4+ ward save, he should be pretty safe, especially in Temple Guard.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I don't think ethereal is even needed. I'd much rather get rid of my enemies 6s. With a 4+ ward and hidden in a unit of TG or a 2+ ward on his own, the ethereal is just too much.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so etherial is 50 points... TG are going to be a lot more than 50 points right? So, if the game is large enough to not worry about maxing out points on the Slann... then why Becalming over Etherial?

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I get it... hadn't thought of it that way... seems like that is going to be pretty popular in this edition... ie, the overcast to get Irresistable Force and not worry about the consequences to your mage... So this acts as a way to neuter that...

So if I have enough space in the FoC to add in BC, then cool... If not, then it might make sense to put him with Temple Guard and lose the etherial (even though it's more expensive)

Where I've been struggling is in figuring out when a Slann gets too expensive... what's the price point on these guys for a list?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Always ALWAYS take becalming cogitation. It completely shuts down your opponents power spell. He simply cannot irresistable unless he is 1 of 2 high Elves.

If you have him in TG you don't need HSoC, though there is an argument that you don't REALLY need it if he's in ANY unit. Pop a decent Scar Vet in there to accept / issue challenges to remove dangerous character threats and you should be fine except in multi hero opposing units who make way to you, though you can always bail out of a saurus unit if this is the case and join another the turn before the combat.

400 points is rather cheap for a frog. in 2k my frogs are spot on 500, and they get even bigger as the game size does. There is NO POINT AT ALL at which a frog becomes too expensive. (Technically there is and it's 375points if you're trying to get 2 in a 3k list)

I'd drop the Plaque of Teapot. Taking it removes your option for cupped hands. Since you'll be forcing 7D6 casts to get your nuke spells off, cupped hands is a must. Even if you have Lore of Life. I've watched at least 10 different life frogs explode because their opponents are in fact not idiots so they dispel Throne of Vines. To counter this you need to force a big pool cast of throne to get it in play, AND recast it every turn the same way. It's just not reliable. It's great when you have it, but nobody who has any idea about a frog's power will let you keep it.

Loremaster may be 50 points, but it's not an item and you get cupped hands.

IMO Frog's should be: Loremaster, Rumination, Cogitation, Soul of Stone, Cupped Hands (Switch SoS for something else if Lore of Life cupped hands SHOULD cover you and you will still occasionally get Throne off)) + your persoanl touch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts