Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been painting dark vengeance for my local shop. They were over primed red so I've stripped them all and the only squad left to finish are the chosen. What do you think? Fashion accessory Metal Fictional character Miniature Figurine Souvenir Games Fictional character Miniature Fictional character Games Squad Figurine

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Great table-top standard. Not too flashy, but well done. I'm digging the Helbrute pretty hard. My only criticism is that you've gotten grey paint on a lot of people's feet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heh, yeah. They had someone assemble them and they were plastic glued to the bases so it was a little difficult not to get paint on the feet...well I could have been more mindful of the helbrutes toes :)

Any ideas to help me take the standard further?

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Any ideas to help me take the standard further?
From looking at the models, which I agree are a very good tabletop standard, I would say highlights in general.

You've got the base and the wash down. Now you need to tone it up with lighter colors and make it stand out and more vibrant. The highlight process nearly always start after the wash has dried where you use the shadows as a guideline as to where to paint your highlights.

If you need a example of highlights and the process, I invite you to take a look at the painting guide in my signature as that explains the process of how to do it in a 3-step method: Base, highlight and light highlight.

I hope it helps!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I've stayed away from highlighting so far because I've always felt like the wash adds a graphic novel, or a gritty, kind of look to it. So I've always done my highlighting before the wash. I think I need a bit better brush and wash control. It is time to start highlighting, I just worry that things will start to look pastel or cartoonish. Heh, I suppose practice makes perfect though haha.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I just worry that things will start to look pastel or cartoonish
As long as you thin down your paints with either water or Medium, you shouldn't be afraid to experiment. Do multiple thin layers so the transitions are more subtle instead of a hard line of paint. When you see something that looks cartoonish, it's usually because you can see some hard lines from paint to paint - Avoid that, and you got a good step in the right direction :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, I've watched Natalya's painting video and she does the same thing. It looks amazing, I just have to keep the paint hydrated and not let it dry on me while working at a brisk pace. I'll give it a try on my own DV Helbrute. I need to strip and repainted it anyways. I'll post it up when I get to it and see if you guys think I've improved technique at all. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet, I'm trying to up my painting game so it's all appriciated and I'll definitely be taking you up on that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts