Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now as we all now, Liths arent the easiest things to bring down by any means
The whole living metal thing can really screw you over with melta weapons and in an ork army, strong weapons are hard to come by
is there any way to take down a lith wis as little hasel and points as possible in an ork army?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Orks are terribly clumsy when tackling tanks, either at range or otherwise.

I would imagine that the Zzap gun would be the best bet, but totally random. Having rokits and twin rokits all over the place is an option, but still wont guarantee any results. Close combat weapons, like the Klaw are simply too unlikely to hit, unless you manage to get a full Warboss and Nob unit completely kitted out with Klaws into base contact. But, doing so is likely to cost you the entire unit, and maybe even before they can make contact.

The best solution is to just get stuck into the Necrons as soon as possible and put your choppas an burnas into action.

As with most armies, Orks deal with Monoliths best by just not dealing with them. Phase Out is your friend and best ally against the Necrons.

·
Registered
100 Posts
two words = DEMOLISHER CANNON

Get a looted Leman Russ Demolisher and blast that Cheesy tank into oblivion ,the best thing about it is ordinance still get 2D6 armour penetration against it.

I myself have a Leman Russ Demolisher and it has been dubbed "The Necron Nuker" thanks to its undying usefulness against not only the Monolith but every T5 Necron unit.

In Summary Strength 10 + 2D6 = Good

(normal Leman Russes also work well)

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
Ordo Xeno Commander said:
hmm id have to agree with you on that one. isnt a leman russ only str 7 tho?? i may be mistaken.
A leman is 8 demolisher is 10, only the conquerers cannon is 7

thats a point, could an Augur shell reduce a monoliths armour?

·
Banned
801 Posts
No.

Unless it specifically states on the weapon profile or the Living Metal special rule that the special ability works against the Living metal special rule, it does not. So far, the only things that work are Turbo-Penetrator rounds and Bioacid Spore Mines (same rule), and the Ordnance 2d6 pick highest rule.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Just thinking, I have never played anyone that used a monolith, but as Sisters players, I can't think of a good way to take it out.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The best way for Orks is just rokkit spam at the thing. However you really should be throwing your rokkit spam at the warriors anyway. For Sisters you have Exorcists. Not sure apart from that.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
exorcist are only strength 8, still need 6's to pen. Doesn't seem like a very fine tactic to me.

·
Registered
811 Posts
" 1D6 + Strength (unaugmented) "

does "unaugmented" mean that powerfists and thunderhammers and "suffer not the unclean to live" (black templar vow, +1S -1I) do not work? and you just roll with the strength of 4?

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
As far as I know, living metal only affects penetration rolls. Therefore, you still get the double strength for powerfist. But say for chainfists you get the double strength but not the 2d6 for pen.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Keep in mind that AP1 weapons still penetrate on a roll of 14. As for Orks... there's always the handy-dandy power klaw that every single one of your nobs should have...

Honestly though, monoliths are a bit of a liability for necrons. They're big and scary and 235 points, and that's 235 points of Necrons that you don't have to phase out. The easiest Necron armies to beat are the ones that have a Monolith, a C'Tan, and a big squad of Pariahs. Scary stuff all, but armies like that have all of like twenty warriors. Knock 'em down and the army goes away.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Engelus said:
" 1D6 + Strength (unaugmented) "

does "unaugmented" mean that powerfists and thunderhammers and "suffer not the unclean to live" (black templar vow, +1S -1I) do not work? and you just roll with the strength of 4?
sorry dude but it does count the whole doubling scores thing. the only weapon that gets the extra penetration is the turbo booster round for the vindicare assassin.

and AP 1 does not penetrate on a score of 14. that is counted as extra penetration and therefore does not apply.

and don't argue because a) i have the faq and b) ive been over this a million times. check the US GW site necrons FAQ if you don't beleive me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ordo Xeno Commander said:
sorry dude but it does count the whole doubling scores thing. the only weapon that gets the extra penetration is the turbo booster round for the vindicare assassin.

and AP 1 does not penetrate on a score of 14. that is counted as extra penetration and therefore does not apply.

and don't argue because a) i have the faq and b) ive been over this a million times. check the US GW site necrons FAQ if you don't beleive me.
If you've been over this a million times how come you have the AP1 thing completely wrong then? AP1 is nothing to do with extra penetration, you don't roll any extra dice or add anything so you get your penetrating hit.

As for the powerfist issue, thats been done to death million times and no-one's decided definitively. Unless there's been an FAQ which directly addresses the issue ie. specifically mentions weapons such as powerfists then its still just as much up in the air.

The FAQ mentions about doubling scores (but the fist doubles Strength) and not counting any bonus penetration of any sort. A powerfist doesn't give any bonus penetration such as given in the examples ie. tank-hunter etc. so I'm of a mind to say that the fist can use the doubled Strength as its method od action is not covered under living metal or by the FAQ. Chainfists would still only get 1D6 for armour penetration though, as bonus penetration isn't allowed. Either way I'm not that bothered so feel free to disagree.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Son of Horus said:
The easiest Necron armies to beat are the ones that have a Monolith, a C'Tan, and a big squad of Pariahs.
You know, Pariahs really SHOULD count as Necrons. If they were, they'd be of a lot more use, and it wouldn't really violate the fluff.

Maybe it's for the best Pariahs are such...pariahs. I mean, their models look like Bill & Ted's robotic doubles. I don't want robo Bill rubbing shoulders with MY Necron Lord!

·
Registered
811 Posts
actually, I never target the things that don't count as necrons, which means that I typically ignore the pariahs which then means that they are free to teleport around the field and harass me.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
That is why pariahs can be useful. Anything that makes an opponent stop and think and reconsider their action is good. Will I be able to phase out the necrons before the pariahs eat through my army or can should I take out the pariahs and hope the rest of my army can deal with the rest of the necrons.

Also, fluffwise pariahs shouldn't count as necrons as they are part necrons and part human. Only thing I can see is maybe a WBB roll on 6 or something like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
pariahs cant teleport anywhere, not necrons therefore cant veil or deep stike . a power fist augments the strength of the person(for person read weapon) the rules clearly state unaugmented strength of the weapon, powerfists were specifically targeted in this part of the rules section, it was deemed that actually printing this would upset guard and marine players too much though. As for weapons that hurt the lith, las cannons, bloody tau rail guns, and the dreaded wraith cannon, glance 3/4 penetrate 5/6. this is not an augmentation or bonus penetration die, this is the weapons basic rule. I do believe that this weapon was specifically created by the old ones for the Eldar for the purposes of taking out monoliths.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts