Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i'm no Ork player, not claiming to know anything but i got slaughtered today by an ork list! It was basically this;

3 Ork meks (may have been 4)

3 KillaKanz

like 50 Ork boyz

2 Ork Big Mekz (or what it seemed)

I don't really know what stuff was, But i think i got everything

It was 1500, and he Put all the Boyz behind the 6/7 mekz/ kanz and just drove forward... And seeing as my CC Chaos army couldn't really damage the mekz, i got slaughtered (well, beaten well)

What do you guys think?

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Sounds like the standard orky mek wing:

2 Big Mechs- KFF
2 Deff Dreads
~9 Killa Kans
+ boyz as needed all in trucks if poss
+ burnas in trucks if points left over

They are seriously nasty things to bring to the table, especially against inexperienced players (or those who have insufficient cash flow to be able to get different types of unit into their army- I know this problem all too well). Worst one I saw was one of the old GW staff in my area taking this sort of list (with deffkoptas) against a young lad who had obviously been collecting for a while, but who didnt have a particularly diverse ork army... so when his 2-3 PKs were killed and he lost his deffkoptas there was simply nothing he could do- that staff member was a lovely guy but didnt bring any shame limit to the table and so got a serious rep...

This type list pretty much falls into the category that all mono spam lists do- if you can counter their one type of mainline unit you'll trounce them, if not you'll get hammered. If you bring multiple SW long fang units with missile launchers and several living lightning rune priests then the first turn will see you killing half the enemy army... if you bring an anti-infantry SM army with the odd metlagun to deal with a few enemy vehicles then you'll die. The challenge is to try to balance your own army to deal with the extremes that people can put against you.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the guy said he was using a tournament list, and to be fair im inexperienced and i have a lack of cash flow! :)

But luckily i'm not a sore loser, and it was a fun game, But i just thought i'd post to find out what you ork-expert think of his list!!

And with the Balancing of an army.. I tend to be one of those players who uses extremes :D being the Khorne man i am, i tend to favour the Close-combat side.

But thanks for the help! :D Orks did you proud today! ^^

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Just model a few powerfists onto your bezerkers- I used to have a blood claw based SW army (imagine cheaper bezerkers without fearless/furous charge and only WS3) and had 2-3 powerfists per squad... having that many S8 attacks meant that I could counter almost anything the enemy sent my way. Although a few melta shots (or even RF plasmaguns) can scythe through orc vehicles pretty quickly.
Aditionallyyou could try things like daemon princes or defilers- if you have a higher I, lots of attacks and a high strength you can break apart a killa kan unit before they ever hit you (at which point the ork player has problems... since if you can beat 1 of his units you can pretty much beat them all).

One thing I just have to see is a deathwatch missile striking an ork mech formation... <6" radius explosion at S10 ordnance (so 2D6 pick the highest for armour pen) and no strength reduction for the central hole not being over the vehicle... ouch time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts