Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i was building a BA list last night and I came across something. Being a noob myself to 40k I was wondering what's better: 6 5man squads of assault marines because then you get 6 power fists? Or 3 10man squads for mob control and better shooting? Or am I totally a moron and it's not possible to have 6 5man squads and get 6 power fists. Lemme know what you guys think!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I personally would think that six powerfists is a little over the top. Depends who you're playing but you might run out of targets where the powerfists are really necessary, and they're pretty pricey. You might not want all your squads to be so small because a couple of shooting casualties will really diminish their effectiveness.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You can get 6 small squads with fists, but it isn't a very good idea. Powerfists are expensive and 5 man squads are fragile. It doesn't take much to kill off 5 marines, especially against the kind of enemies you'll want to use powerfists on, then you've wasted a bunch of points.

Generally it is better to take multiple independent units with shooting so you can engage more targets and weather return fire better, but in assault it pays to have more bodies to absorb casualties.

With combat squads, you can always split up your big 10 man squads if you feel the need.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So basically the 10man squad is a toolbox of sorts and less risky and more cost effective than the 6x5w/pf? Sounds logical. It's what I thought too just wanted to bounce the idea off of somebody.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts