Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a list for a 1000pt competitive game. Since I don't have a lot of points to just throw around I'm trying to figure out what would be most efficient. I have my 2 troops chose and my HQ, but what I'm wondering is, which would be better to take: 5-man ASM (Jump Packs) and a Priest (JP) or, a 5-man Honor Guard with the embedded Priest, and add JPs to the group?

The ASM group would be 175pts before any upgrades (like Melta or PF) while the HG unit would be 165pts before upgrades (but comes with a power-sword). The ASM would be scoring and have 6 dudes, while the HG would be only 5, but are all Sgt stat lines and the priest cannot be singled out.

I'm more of a troops man, wanting as many scoring opportunities as possible, but I don't like my Priest getting power-weapon'd to death either. Sigh, or I guess for the same points, I can take some Vanguard to be a beat-stick and land them (1d6 scatter) on some shooty unit or objective holder. Decisions decisions! Any help sorting this out is appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So far it's just 2x 10-man JP ASM with meltas and power-fists. Libby with a JP as well for my HQ. That alone is 595 points out of my 1000. I figure at least another troop or a beat-stick with the HG or VV. And then with the rest, some sort of ranged support or more anti-tank/anti-MC.

Of all the forums and blogs I haven't seen Sternguard used as that ranged option (in BA lists that is), but I'm really liking them so far in my play testing. Just not that big a fan of tanks yet... except maybe a Flamestorm Baal...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yup, Priests and a unit of Vanguard would help a lot.

Sternies I find would work best in either a foot gunline (combined with cheap devastators and plentiful FNP) or in a mech list as an extra firepower unit.

·
Registered
566 Posts
stern isn't a good call in an assault army because then they would need transport and if the have transport 1 tank is a HUGE target VV however just kicks ass

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, Priests and a unit of Vanguard would help a lot.

Sternies I find would work best in either a foot gunline (combined with cheap devastators and plentiful FNP) or in a mech list as an extra firepower unit.
Oy, if only you could attach the Priest to the VV, then I'd be set! haha. I just can't seem to win with a JP army here, because the Stern are very static and Predators would make prime targets in an infantry heavy list like this. BA need some relentless JP Devastators! hahaha j/k

But back on topic, maybe I can fit in the VV for some assaulty punch and another 5-man ASM to stick the priest with and keep them out of assault so the priest won't bite it in CC and have a meat shield from shooting. That would still leave very little room for any ranged fire support. *sigh* I really fear Nid MCs and Plague marines, which I have fought and lost to before and I know they will be in this competitive game. I shall return with some possible lists in a while.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, here's a preliminary 1000pt Jump List:

1x 10-man ASM (2x Melta, 1xPF) 235
1x 5-man ASM (1x Melta, 1x PW) 125
1x Librarian (Jump Pack, Shield, Lance) 125
1x Priest 75
1x 10-man Vanguard (L. Claw & Shield, L. Claw & Shield) and (Thunder Hammer & Shield, Shield) 440

I aim to combat squad the VV into an anti infantry unit with the claws and an anti-tank/MC unit with the TH/SS. Why a TH and not just a Fist? Well, I had 5 points left and it worked, plus extra benefit against armor. I could break down the 10-man ASM as well to get 3 troops choices as well for objective games. I'm mostly looking for opinions on the VV in my list. The rest I'm pretty much set on and have fielded before, but VV are the new thing for me and need help with it most.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Referenced from the VV thread in tactics.

The VV should be dropped into 2 squads. It raises the cost a wee bit but you get an extra free Glaive. I'd personally drop the weapons outside of what comes with the 'Sarge' on the VV as well. SS are good to slow super units (though at 1k...unlikely) but otherwise they are still Marines so you don't want to put too many points into them (especially @ 1k). Maybe something like this:

Libby w/Shield, Lance, JP
2x Preist w/JP
10x ASM w/2x melta, PF
5x ASM w/melta, IP
5x VV w/Glaive, 2x SS, JP
5x VV w/Glaive, 2x SS, JP

That puts you 55 points over so drop the IP on the 5 man squad and 2 SS's. This still gives you 28 FNP/FC marines which are in your face quickly though you could easily get away with a single VV squad (buff out the 5 man ASM to 10 and drop a SP for HG). I'd prefer this second option at 1k as it's more balanced but balance often goes out the window at smaller point variables, you just cannot account for everything.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hm, so Glaives are preferred to L. Claws? One max re-roll to-hit instead of multiple possible ones? To be honest tho, I have never fielded either weapon, so not sure how they really handle on the table. But I think this works on a couple levels: it gives me multiple units (i love redundancy) with defined roles and I have enough models to field this next week for the game, haha. Anything more and I'd have to buy models and build them before the event.

Thanks for the help Kirby. I'm used to getting list help and people being like "Well, your HQ sucks, so do this, and your troops? Pa-shaw! Do this instead..." I rather stick to what I selected and just tweak the gear or just get advice (like you did), not rewrites to my list. If my list fails, I rather find out first hand and learn on my own. I'll play test these guys first and do a write up and if they work at least enough, I'll use them in the big game and then make a battle report on my blog. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts