Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am playing a chaos army and have been for some time now and some of the guys number of attacks in the new codex can be ridiculous. Abaddon for example if he charges and rolls a 6 for his number of attacks would be 11 (4 base 1 for charging then 6 for the roll) and a Chaos Lord with the mark of Khorne and a Daemon weapon charging and rolling two 6's for number of attacks would be 17 attacks. Is there a limit on the number of attacks like there is a limit of 10 on the WS, BS, S, T, W, I, Ld? (and yes i know a 10 BS would be pointless because you always need at best a 2+ to hit (unless your performing "death or glory" which is automatic))

Thanks for any insight on this subject.

·
Registered
325 Posts
vero is correct. there is no limit cap, the number of attacks that some spec chracters have is what makes them so scary and also the reason that they are so expensive pointwise

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
The most a Chaos Lord can get is 18, I believe. But, that is a slow-moving and risky character. I say it's worth it, and not unbalanced. It definitely takes a liking for that particular style of play, though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't think there is much of a need to cap attacks, it is effectively done already without having a special rule. The Chaos Lords (and some Special Characters) are the only single-man units in the game, that I can think of, which can do this anyway.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i didnt think there was a limit but then again this is the first time i know of that a single model has ever gotten more than 10 attacks in a single combat phase. so i just wanted to make sure it was right.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
For the record, my personal combat monster Mephiston can 'only' get 9 attacks...at I6, S5 with a Force Weapon that can still be used after I use Transfixing Glare and Might of Heroes ;-)

It;s not the quantity, it;s the quality that matters

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
haha so true. i heard off someone that one khorne beserker in the old rules, not sure which ed, killed an entire squad of 20 by himself because he rolled so many 6's that he kept striking again. not sure which rules or what happened, but thats what i heard

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Not that anything has 10 wounds that I'm aware of, but that probably caps out at 10 as well. I know it does in fantasy... and while generally, the two aren't really comparable, the basic profile system is the same.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Biotitan has 10 wounds.

So for anything to have more than 10 wounds, it would have to be considerably larger/more powerful than that.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Plus the real limit on BS from a practical standpoint is 5. At 5 you hit on 2+ and it doesn;t get ny better than that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's food for thought - p.12 of the rulebook states "all characteristics are measured on a scale of 0 to 10." It then lists Attacks as one of the charactersistics... that would seem to imply a cap...

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
For base characteristics, yes, perhaps.

But that's got nothing to do with bonuses, which is where all these examples come from.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
But in other cases a base 10 can't be improved. An example is leadership you can never get over 10 leadership no matter what bonuses are added.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts