Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone im new here and thought i would share some pics of my DIY chapter WIP.

Ok well i am crap at writing fluff but the general idea is that the chapter of the lightning hawks are loyalist and they're homeworld was overun by tyranids when most of the chapter were called out to fight a campaign. The marines returned to find there homeworld in ruins and they are now helping what is left of the poulation to fight back. The tiles on the bases are part of the building floors in the cities. I wanted to do something a bit different with them and i like the way they turned out.

I'll exlplain now that i dont have time to play so i take my time and try different styles on my minis to try and improve my painting. Also so i dont got bored painting the same sort of mini i tend to do one mini from each squad.

Tac marine

Scout bike

Dreadnought

Apothecary

QuadBike Sgt

Tac Sgt

Vanguard vet

Libbie (WIP)

Well let me know what you think. Will try to update periodically.

:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very nice, but two points:

1: Paint your scout hands as gloves. The long fingers look kinda weird.

2: Your white looks grainy. Your ether not watering your paints down enough or your white is wasted and needs replacing.

Apart from that it is a very, very nice scheme and the basing looks great.

·
Registered
616 Posts
nice work and great conversions! really like the quadbike.

The color scheme looks good and the bases are great

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everyone. I recieved my forgeworld order this week and i can now go ahead with the latest addition to my Lightning Hawks; my Damocles command rhino. I ordered some extra armour and some imperial eagle doors. to save myself £20 i have attempted to make my own radar dish, so here you go.

This was made from various parts in the rhino and razorback box sets. I made the Dish out of plasticard.

So let me know what you think. Obviously it is a WIP so i will try and get some paint on it soon and get it all undercoated. C&C appreciated. :)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Nice work on the Damocles Rhino, the satelite looks really good. I bet that one can double duty as a Razorback when needed too:)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hello Everyone Thought that i would do a little update. I am now entering my command rhino in a local mini golden deamon competition at my GW. SO i will show you the interior as it is at the mo. Im going to add some ammo crates and some kit in the back.

and a bonus shot of the dish now painted.

Hope you all like. :)

( i have also changed the doors around on the rhino so there the right way lol)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey there Everyone. Well it has been just over 4 weeks since i started my command rhino and i have just finished it now. It will be taken to its new temporary home tommorrow in watfords games workshop so ppl can see it in the window and hopefully will vote for me to win the mini painting competition they are having.

Enjoy. C & C Welcome as always.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Looks tight, I love your shading on the screens.The dish appears to have some brush strokes in it but that could just be the pic. Very nice.

·
Registered
429 Posts
its funny that both our D.I.Y chaptors have hawks in the name and have a Quarterd scheam lol (is not really)
i like the scheam but imho the purple should be darker on the inside to give a enclosed feel to it but anyhoo i like it and i hope it dose well in the comp.

·
The Yellow King
890 Posts
awesome work have some rep!

·
Boondock Shogun
2,023 Posts
Huzzah! Another chapter of purple people pulpers! Very nice job on the rhino. I hope you don't take this the wrong way but your painting skills have improved from the first lot of pics you put up. The rhino is amazing. Yes, you can see the brush strokes on the radar dish but they don't detract from the overall job that you've done with the tank. The free-hand work you did is very, very nice but what catches my eye are the eagles. Simply amazing job. Would you mind putting finger to keyboard and sharing how you accomplished it? :)

Good luck and good gaming,

Nate

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi there :) The rhino has been taken to its new home for the next week, it is now sitting in the window for people to look at it. Anyways

djinn24
The dish appears to have some brush strokes in it but that could just be the pic.
Yeah on the pic it looks quite brush strokey?lol My stupidly high megapixel camera can have a down side sometimes. It looks smoother than that in person but i do see what you mean thanks for the comment :)

inquisitor_me
i like the scheam but imho the purple should be darker on the inside to give a enclosed feel to it
I was actually going to go a shade darker but when i tried it it looked quite weird when the dish was off. When the dish is on and the rear door is open it looks quite dark anyway so i made it the same shade to prevent it from looking too dark with the dish on if that makes sense lol. :unsure: Thankyou for the comment

Liber Heresius
Keep it coming, I want to see more!
Dont worry i have a few ideas up my sleeve. I have decided to enter golden deamon this year (not expecting to win but i would like a green sticker lol) so you will be seeing a few more concept ideas on here hopefully ;)

Azwraith
awesome work have some rep!
Thankyou very much

Shogun_Nate
I hope you don't take this the wrong way but your painting skills have improved from the first lot of pics you put up.
I cant possibly take this the wrong way because it is exactly what i want to hear:) I am always trying to improve and even i can tell that my technique has improved and hopefully will keep improving.

Would you mind putting finger to keyboard and sharing how you accomplished it?
Not at all do you want me to start from the beginning and work through each part? Or are there specific parts that you are interested in knowing about?

Thankyou again for all the comments hopefully more to post soon. :bye:

1 - 20 of 430 Posts