Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty good camera ready to start taking some good photos of my models, but i'm having trouble deciding what to do for the lighting. I have a lightbox to put the model in, but i'm unsure how much wattage and lighting i'd really need.

If anyone can help steer me in the right direction - what to buy, what wattage of bulb etc etc - i'd hugely appreciate it :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
The bulbs warmth should be about 6300k. (daylight warm). This will make its light seem like the sun light, instead of the white-blue light the 2200k lamps produce.
Watts depend on your light box. I mean on how much light your light box resists.

IMO you should start shooting without a light box if you want to learn how to shoot your minis. Grab a few (usually 3) cheap lamps, give them the correct light bulb, make a black box, and start shooting.

Most of all, it is how you use the manual of your camera, instead of what is your gig.

Hope I helped..

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
In a lot of generic crafts shops you can get 'daylight-bulbs' which make the lighting look a lot more natural, generally though I just take my stuff outside and photograph it

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have a tutorial up about lighting in the tutorial section. Big thing is as bright as you can go without glare and shadows. Normally 2 lights is the best with a reflector to spread the light out some. 60 to 100 watts as close to true white as possible (5500k iirc)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
An option would be to get manual (none TTL) flashlights. They tend to be a lot cheaper, like this one:

Yongnuo Manuele Strobist Flitser Versie II | Foto Konijnenberg

(sorry, it's in dutch, but I'm sure you'll be able to find them for yourself should you fancy this option).

2 flashes to each side and possibly another flash on camera that can be turned away from drirectly facing the model will do wonders as well.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I thought it said "Lightning setup for mini photography". I was intrigued to see lightning as the source of light for pictures of models. It could have been quite dramatic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts