Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this came up in a game yesterday and i want your opion on what "Should" of happened.
Ok a Whirlwind shoot at a unit of Sniper Scouts in a Tower. The tower was the one from planet strike so it didn't have any other levels just the top and outside. The shot scattered of the tower and when we looked underneath there was my partners command squad so my oponent said it hit them.
Now my logic was that you where aiming at the tower and missed it. so the missile(s) would blow up in the air in that place or harmlessly carry on and blow up somewhere else rather than reach the location and then nose dive to the ground. I showed him the rule book on levels and on how flaming or blasting a leveled ruin would only hurt the people on 1 level but when i looked there was only 1 level so i could renforce my argument fully. We alowed him to do that anyway(he did now damage so it didn't matter too much) but i wanted to know for the future in case this happens again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm pretty sure this actually would damage them. Missiles and bombs and other blast weapons are meant to explode on impact, except for some few that explode in the air. So, if they don't hit their intended target due to scatter, they surely would go down further until they do hit something. I think it might be a bit more fair, however, to roll a D3 or something for the extra scatter caused by missing the tower and having to go down to the ground.

As I have said many times in the past, though, I'm a realism stickler, so if the rules have to be changed to fit a circumstance, I try to change it to what is most realistic.

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
nope, if it is directed at one level, it cant scatter onto another, it is a fragmentation missile, so it would explode mid air.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Check out P84 of the BRB - Blasts and levels. This should clear it right up for you. The second diagram on the right especially :) If he chose to fire the weapon indirectly though ("barrage"), the blast would just hit the highest level of whatever it scattered on to, but if he was firing directly, goes bang harmlessly in mid air.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Remember that this is the 41st millennium so their missiles are better designed to destroy what they aim at, not everything around them.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Check out P84 of the BRB - Blasts and levels. This should clear it right up for you. The second diagram on the right especially :) If he chose to fire the weapon indirectly though ("barrage"), the blast would just hit the highest level of whatever it scattered on to, but if he was firing directly, goes bang harmlessly in mid air.

Hope that helps!
Quoted for truth.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Was he firing it as barrage? Because if so he was correct. If he was firing directly then he was wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts