Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off sorry if this is in the wrong spot if it is can a mod please relocate it.

So the idea is that i will take three scouts of my own chapter and "level" them up so to speak. By that i mean they will eventually get promoted to a sergeant and then a full battle brother maybe eventually rising to the positon of Company Master. I'd like to get some constructive critisism on it.

expeirance is gained when killing an enemy model and youd get the amount that model costs. mutli wound models count if you had done a wound to them. say you wound a 60-point three wound model you would get 20 xp. If you kill a marine you would get 16 xp.

The part i'm stuck at is what would be a good amount of expriance for each level? i'm thinking something like 150 or 200 to get to first level.

so thanks for reading and any constructive critisism.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I have played several campaigns like this, and it is a lot of fun! I used to give the characters ca. 3 xp per wound they inflicted. The characters were allowed to come alive once if they died, but if they reached the rank of Captain or were awarded Terminator honors they became an Dreadnought... An other fun thing to do is to give awards to characters as they progress... An other fun thing to do, would be to give marksmans awards to people who were excelent suite, and other awards like you see fit... Also, I use to give people 1 stat point to increase one of their stats by 1 for every 500 xp they reach, but remember to have an max limit to it...

I would have written a longer and more detailed post, but I cant be assed to do that as I post using an iPod right now... But I will jeep an eye on this thread...

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
mixing RPG elements into your warhammer campaigns? sounds like fun! :)

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
mixing RPG elements into your warhammer campaigns? sounds like fun! :)
It is a lot of fun, and it makes you care about your character... You should try it!

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
How long were you thinking of spending to do this? It just seems like it would take an individual scout a long time to kill 200 points of models. Would you be using them for killteam and the like, or only big engagements?
When I used my system it took ca. 7 days for the first marine to have reached the rank of Terminator, and when that happened we had been playing a fucking lot of that thing... First we played small engagements, such as search and destroy and sabotage missions, but they grew into bigger battles, until we in the end had hundreds of models clashing...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I personally think XP and Warhammer gaming is a stupidly brilliant fusion.

I need to make a campaign like that. Maybe I'll put it into that tourney I mentioned earlier about a no-SC tourney. Meh.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
at first it's going to start small a kill team here and there then bigger battles as they get promoted. doelage never thought about giving awards like that or increasing their sats at all. i'll have to talk it over with my friend who is also trying to think of how to do the same thing for the 'nids.

·
Like a Bawss
4,111 Posts
While I like the idea, in practice I would think it'd be a pain in the ass. You'd either have to roll for each model separately in both shooting and CC or get different coloured dice per character in a squad. In a smaller game, where the opponent knows how you're leveling your characters, it would seem more feasible.

Being a fluffy guy though... this intrigues me...

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it'd be easy as im only doing this with three models representing me and my two closest friends. i have two sets of die and i'd borrow one or two from my friend to sort the attacks out. in close combat it would hopefully work out the same way.

if a model dies i was thinking of using the mordheim chart to see what happens to him omitting or changing some of the captured ones to escape. would this work out?

and when we have our matches i will write up a batrep on how well or poorly we do.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
hhhmmmmmmmmmmm
Good post :laugh:

I like this idea. Some ideas off the top of my head.

I assume at the start the scout will just be in a random squad? I assume you will paint the base differently or something so you can identify which one he is.

As for exp. gained, I think points cost is a great idea. For Level 1, exp needed to be level 2 should be minimal, like 50 points, which is about 4 tactical marines. Then as you progress the exp you need is increased by something like 100xp + 10% of the previous xp required.

For instance, if you need 50xp to go from level 1 to 2, if you are going from level 2 to 3 you need 155xp to get to level 3. Then for level four you would need 271xp, for level 5 you need 398xp, and etc.

Obviously, the harder the kill, the more xp. You could also get 'bonus xp' based on how many VP's you win by.

If your guy dies, you could have -xp as a punishment. Say 10% of your total xp gained to that date. You still get all the xp you gained during the battle before you died though, so the final total is deducted from that.

Alternatively, you could have that one guy have 'alternative fail scenarios', sort of like the vehicle damage table. If the scout fails his armour save, he then rolls a further dice to see how severe the damage is.

Those are just some ideas off the top of my head.

Hope I helped :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Seems very interesting, I may have to do this with my Ordo Xenos army.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will discuss what you presented Ultra with my friend and see what he says about the "death" of the scout. The models i'm going to use for the scouts are painted differently from my other ones to differentiaite them. I was just going to add somewhere between 200 and 400 for each level up so to speak so your idea is very facinating Doelago + rep for your help both of you.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Thanks for the rep, and good luck with this! :)

Also, good post Ultra111!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually do not have the deathwatch Rpg book so I am unable to use thier scenarios or rules. Thank you to everyone who posted advice.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I will discuss what you presented Ultra with my friend and see what he says about the "death" of the scout. The models i'm going to use for the scouts are painted differently from my other ones to differentiaite them. I was just going to add somewhere between 200 and 400 for each level up so to speak so your idea is very facinating Doelago + rep for your help both of you.
Thanks for the rep mate. Glad I could help.

Let me know what your mate says and maybe we can help further :)

Thanks for the rep, and good luck with this! :)

Also, good post Ultra111!
Thanks you, and thanks for the rep :)

I actually do not have the deathwatch Rpg book so I am unable to use thier scenarios or rules. Thank you to everyone who posted advice.
Glad to help :eek:k:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright I talked it over with him and he said it was fine but there had to be restrictions on it and I agreed. So no 10 toughness 10 wound Astartes. We agreed on a limit for some stats. 7-8 for BS and WS, 5-7 for strength, 5-6 for toughness, 4-5 wounds, 6-7 intiative, 3-5 attacks. For the first stat point its 500 xp the next stat point will be in 750 and so on until it gets to ridiculus.

He also suggested using some USRs to help some out. They will be only every 1000 xp to try and keep some balance.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
alright I talked it over with him and he said it was fine but there had to be restrictions on it and I agreed. So no 10 toughness 10 wound Astartes. We agreed on a limit for some stats. 7-8 for BS and WS, 5-7 for strength, 5-6 for toughness, 4-5 wounds, 6-7 intiative, 3-5 attacks. For the first stat point its 500 xp the next stat point will be in 750 and so on until it gets to ridiculus.

He also suggested using some USRs to help some out. They will be only every 1000 xp to try and keep some balance.
Sounds good to me... Gona try it out myself soon... :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts