Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know why, but i just have this gut feeling that GW aint last any longer than 5 years if they continue their shit. You can ridicule me all you want, but i used to have this *feeling* i guess whenever i opened a WD mag and looked at the models inside. i used to think how cool would it be to own that army and what not. i used to dream about taking this army to a game, and even planned on what to buy first. But i just dont get that feeliing anymore of looking forward to starting a new army. I have had only an Ork army and im going to say that is my last GW army. i have a skaven and lizardmen force but im not going to start any more armies. Definately not the way GW is going.

See, ive been in this hobby since Jan 2011, i havent been around as long as you Vets. but, up until 6 months ago, i literally thought this:

" Games workshop is the best miniature wargaming company ever. And all these try-hard companies are just trying to copy them and they are shit because 40k is the best wargame in the world. "

yes thats what i used to think. I never knew about Mantic or FFG or Privateer press. So one day i got curious and did a bit of research.

And then it really dawned on me. GW is only big because smaller games such as; Dust tactics, Dreadball, X-wing, Kings of War, Warpath, Warmachine, Hordes etc etc these games dont have a physical store dedicated to their products like gw do. they are forced to sell through stockists and webstores. an plus a few other reasons i cant be bothered typing.

So six months later my Ork army has basically been used twice and i haven't bought anything for it. And i now have a copy of Dreadball and Dust Tactics and currently in the process of buying x-wing (6 days till payday :grin:)

excuse the following colourful language but basically a one sentence review on other systems

these games are cheap as chinese kids compared to GW

seriously GW is selling the new Dwarf longbeards for 70motherfuckingdollars

I recently introduced a friend to the hobby of 40k, hes doing IG and enjoying it. However whenever i show him a game of another system he makes the following comments

i tried introducing him to:

WFB - "fantasy is not my cup of tea"
Dreadball - "Sport is not my cup of tea"
Dust - "The models look childish and the rules arent as sophisticated as 40k"
X-wing* - "I want to save my money"
LOTR* - "The models look horrible"

*Even though he is a die hard fan of Lotr and star wars

He is doing the same thing i did "40k is the best"

I dont even know where this thread is going but i just wanted to rant and have my say

feel free to comment good or bad

what do you guys think? do any of you feel the same way?

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I'm trying to make out what it is that infuriates you so - Is it purely pricing? Because if that is all there is, then I hate to say it, but this has never been a cheap hobby.

For us to comment, I think you need to further explain why it is that you're so angry.

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well not really angry but a build up of frustrastion.

its a mix of

pricing
GW screwing up wd
My friend cant get it out of his head that 40k is the best
why people think that other systems are shit

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
lack of brain cells, bad parenting.
Or simply individual taste. You can't really blame a buy for not liking a game system - If it doesn't appeal to him, it doesn't appeal to him. That would be like trashing a guy for not liking the same music as you.

Look at it this way; He may be just as frustrated as you are continuously trying to drive him away from a hobby that he likes. That can be just as irritating as your side of the fence.

pricing
GW screwing up wd
Well I can't really comment on the WD issue, as I never subscribed to it. Some held it dear, I always saw it as simply a "What's new" magazine where I got the info online anyway.

Regarding pricing, I have seen a million threads and subjects regarding it. Granted, I may be colored by only having started the hobby for real like 1½ years ago, but I think that people have a tendency to go "Big bad bully company" towards GW without looking at the cost and expenditures behind the hobby. Everyone online is a expert and everyone has "the golden way" for GW to become a miraculous company with low costs and incredible profit, plus being the best at customer service - Personally, I think people needs to take a step back and look at why the prices are what they are.

Yes it's expensive. But from what I have seen, even when I didn't collect, it has always been expensive. People really need to get over that fact as it's nothing new.

In the end, and maybe I'm weird that way, but I would rather have semi-expensive models than a company that goes bankrupt or doesn't have the finance to update their models. You can't have it both ways - The only reason they're able to make the product they do, is because of their prices. They don't just have a dartboard with prices on it in the production office and go "Hey Joe, we got a new model! What should it cost?", despite what people think.

I don't know, maybe I'm as frustrated as you are - The only difference is that my frustration is directed at users and customers who have this idea of big bad wolf and use every opportunity, every angle and every breath complaining about a company, and yet continue to buy their products. It's become hip to hate GW and most of the guys I talk to about it base it on groundless hate and reiterations of what the internet is saying at the moment. They don't actually have any basis for the hate, but are just recordings of the newest bile on the net.

Now I know that I may be stepping into a hornets nest, as it's not popular to actually not hate GW - But I cannot see why people are acting the way they are.

Wow, whatta ya know - I got to vent too. Thanks for that @TechPr1est that actually felt nice :D

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great vent! i know for a fact Gamesworkshops main cost go to staff Wages and they get around 20-30% profit.

However i didnt really look at it the way you just presented, all the smaller games dont really have model updates, nor are they finacially secure like GW, nor do they have their own magazine or book series

wow, man im an idiot and a dick for thinking GW is bad simply because of their pricing, i never really thought about where they put all that profit they make.

And yeah my friend gets a little annoyed because i introduced him to a massive hobby and as he is just learning baby steps here comes me, trying to ram other wargames and hobbies down his throat.

Thanks for the opinion

(still going to stick with one army though)

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Its good to let of steam and even as a big fan of GW I find some of the things they do frustrating. However I also still find the games fun (I started playing with WHF Ed 1).

It is possible to play more than one companies game. At my local club we have players of Bolt Action, Star Wars X Wing, 7TV, Warmachine, Bloodbowl and 40k and many of these play several of these games.

I expect GW to last for a lot longer than 5 years. And if they don't survive the rest of the hobby will start a slow decline I suspect as the amount of 'new blood' will be cut off with out the GW shops to start people into the hobby.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts