Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ork Codex mentions that Orks can loot, among other vehicles, a Leman Russ and a Leman Russ Battle Tank. What's the difference between the two? Is one of them without sponsons perhaps?

A secondary question: the Ork book says that a looted vehicle can have any of the "options" available in its original list. I read that to mean that stuff like a Russ' sponson mounts, but not upgrades like camo netting or extra armour, as the different usage of "option" and "upgrade" seems to be pretty consistent across the board. Is that correct?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't think so. Even though it's a weapon, a pintle-mount would be counted as a vehicle upgrade, rather than a weapon option.

I'd say that anything included in the vehicle's basic stat block in the Codex would be an "option", while anything on the separate upgrade list would be an "upgrade". So an Ork Leman Russ could mount, as "options", the sponson guns, but not a hunter-killer missile or a pintle-mounted storm bolter, because those come from the general upgrade list.

At least that's how I read it.

I still don't know why the Ork Codex distinguishes between a "Leman Russ" and a "Leman Russ Battle Tank" though.

Unless the Orks can actually loot the Space Wolf Primarch himself... :shock:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Just picture Leman Russ, clad in Mega Armor and wielding a power claw; leading the Orks to victory with a mighty WAAAGHH!!!!! And, if you take Leman Russ, you can take a retinue of Space Wolves, armed with choppas and bolt pistols... :wink:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cccp_one said:
kelvin, youve got it bang on there.

and i dont know why there is a LR and a LRBT but theres another rule to exploit!
It would make for one heck of a conversion! :)

I would love to give it a try, just so that when someone asks why I have a Primarch in my Ork army, I just point to the Codex! Oh, GW and your weird proof-reading... :roll:

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Well Russ did say he would be back for the "wolf time", is it possible that he could have said "Waagh Time?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jacobite said:
Well Russ did say he would be back for the "wolf time", is it possible that he could have said "Waagh Time?
Well, he did leave during a feast, and "waagh" might sound like "wolf" if you've got a mouth full of Space Wolf pop tarts.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Heh, yet another way the SW diverge from the Index Astartes. They ignore the part that says, "And thou shalt only eat Ultramarines pop-tarts, for the Ultramarines are Games Workshop's chosen."

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I quote:
A looted vehicle may be chosen from one of the following army list entries in the Warhammer 40,00 rulebook:
Imperial Guard: Chimera, Hellhound, Griffon, Leman Russ battle tank, Leman Russ, Demolisher, Basilisk.

Now that I'm typing it, that comma before "Demolisher" is a misprint, isn't it? :roll:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still, the ambiguous comma means I could field a Primarch, and that's all that counts! :wink:

I think I got confused because I was sure that I saw somewhere that a "vanilla" Russ (without sponsons) had a special name to differentiate it from the fully kitted out Battle Tank.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts