Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a strange detail thats been nagging at me for the last couple days. canonically what is leman russ' actual hair color? red like in adrian smith's depiction in the collected visions? or blonde like on the cover of prospero burns?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just a strange detail thats been nagging at me for the last couple days. canonically what is leman russ' actual hair color? red like in adrian smith's depiction in the collected visions? or blonde like on the cover of prospero burns?
Is that him on the cover of Prospero burns?
By some astounding coincidence just started reading it so I have it right here, he seems a little short to be Russ, barely a head hight above the humans behind him in the golden plate. (I think they are sisters of silence, but could be wrong) Also they are a few feet behind him, so depth perception is working against him in this way.

I mean it may well be him, I don't know, but I just don't think it is.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
It is him. He is the shortest Primarch.

He is essentially your typical dwarf in the bar laughing at everything and fearing nothing fantasy character based on the vikings.

But I agree he should be a lot wider as he is depicted in the fluff but I suppose it would make him look fat/comical if they went too far.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Well, the covers are artists' interpretations and not 100% accurate. I would, however, go with some form of blond.

I thought Angron was the shortest primarch? He does seem to have a touch of Napolean complex.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just would liek to point out that I believe Alpharius or Omegon to be the shortest Primarch. All of the Primarchs are said to be noticeably larger and instantly recognizable, however, in Legion it states that they had an especaiily large Captain of the Alpha legion as a double for Alpharius which means he would be shorter as none of the other legions have space marines that can even be described as close to their primarchs height. Before anyone points to Horus and Little Horus a) He has little in his nickname making him smaller. lol b) it states that he resembles Horus in features, not height, at least not enough to act as a body double, even though little Horus is also described as being larger that the average space marine.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,259 Posts
I would take written fluff over a book art any day of the week. The artists very often take imo large liberties when making the covers. I mean just look at Flight of the Eisenstien, Great Unclean One, Imperial Fists fighting with who appears to be Decius. So yeah, its written as red specifically in Thousand Sons, i'm gonna stick with red.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would take written fluff over a book art any day of the week. The artists very often take imo large liberties when making the covers. I mean just look at Flight of the Eisenstien, Great Unclean One, Imperial Fists fighting with who appears to be Decius. So yeah, its written as red specifically in Thousand Sons, i'm gonna stick with red.

good point. thanks for the info angel.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
I think that fluff needs to stay in its swim lane. Fluff is meant to explain the game's rules and add filler backgrounds to inspire army paint schemes and iconography. It is descriptive, not proscriptive. Hobbyists shouldn't have to be told what color to paint a character's hair by some old crusty author who probably doesn't even play Warhammer 40k.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,259 Posts
I don't agree with that at all. I don't play tabletop and a vast majority of black library readers and 40k fans don't either. I couldn't give a flying fuck about the table top. Fluff is not meant for the reasons you said, maybe way back when 40k started, now? Not a chance. Gaunts Ghosts, Eisenhorn/Ravenor, The Heresy series, the Night Lords, etc etc don't exist for the table, they have no relation to the table top.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Yes fluff is, and always should be distinct from the tabletop. Related to this is why it's always a bad idea to bring in game mechanics when discussing the fluff. (eg- 'lasguns have no ap they suck' which as we know is patently wrong).

Written fluff should always have a greater weight that images, which rely on artist's interpretation much more than the written word. Look at all the different depiction of the primarchs for example, or all the different way's power armour and space marines are drawn. Which one is right? I'd go for the written one.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
I don't agree with that at all. I don't play tabletop and a vast majority of black library readers and 40k fans don't either. I couldn't give a flying fuck about the table top. Fluff is not meant for the reasons you said, maybe way back when 40k started, now? Not a chance. Gaunts Ghosts, Eisenhorn/Ravenor, The Heresy series, the Night Lords, etc etc don't exist for the table, they have no relation to the table top.
Why is it called "Fluff" then, smart guy?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
where is all this shite about Russ or Angron being the shortest primarch coming from?

could people at least try to cite a few sources before spouting whatever nonsense pops up in their heads?

According to Legion, Alpharius should be the shortest primarch. He's the size of a large space marine (space marine height doesn't vary as much as "mortal" height, but it still varies).

However, when Horus and Alpharius first meet, Horus instantly recognizes Alpharius as a primarch, in part because of Alpharius' size (Index Astartes)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.