Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Name: Legion XXVII Terran
Founding: Unkown
Imperator (Chapter Master): Gelrad Augustus
Homeworld: Romana
Specialty: Night Raids
Battle Cry: No Fear, No Mercy, No Survivors!
Estimated Strength: 250 to 300
Capital Ship: Julli Romana

Organization
The origins of Legion XXVII are not well known and not recorded. Being one of the smallest of the Space Marines Chapters, numbering around 250 to 300 they work very closely with other Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes. The XXVII Legion has a few thousand old organizational system used in the ancients of humanity. The Legion is all of the Warriors in the chapter. A Cohort is usualy 50 to 60 Warriors and a Century is about 10 to 20 Warriors. The Imperator leads the entire legion and his Primus Pilus commanded the Cohorts. The Centurion leads every Century. The XXVII Legion does not place itself on more than one campaign at a time. The full chapter will go and invade a single planet mainly supporting the PDF forces or going in with the Imperial Guardsmen. They do not favor ranged or close quarters fighting, it's mainly what the Centurion wants. They are mainly an infantry force with many scouts that are not initiates in the chapter. Scouts are some of the highest trained Legionarres to be able to scout the terrain and do covert raids all over enemy lines. The XXVII Legion does prefer more night and covert operations due to their low numbers and the bigger campaigns they do not get involved with often. They are not a well known Chapter but help with many operations and revolts on planets. The biggest operation the XXVII has gotten involved with was the most recent invasion of Cadia which they are still involved with heavily. Now they are a independent Empire.

Aliesa Conflict
The first major conflict the XXVII Legion saw was on the planet Aliesa. The local PDF force turned to Chaos, it was suspected that the rest of the world had not been tainted but the XXVII Legion had specific orders to purge the entire population. They could not just destroy the planet, holy relics were on the world and massive factories that produced new prototype weapons for the Imperial Guard. The entire Legion landed on the planet by a night drop all in drop-pods. The First Cohort lost contact with the rest of the Legion and landed in the middle of the biggest industrial portion of the world. Extremely outnumbered and outgunned the First Cohort led by Octavious Caius found the best suitable defence point inside a large weapons factory. Clearing it was no problem because somehow the renegades did not react quickly to the misdrop of Octavious's force. Within the hour though a large counter attack was launched by the renegades. The untested warriors of the XXVII held their ground only sustaining one casualty from a grenade. The casualty had lost his arm but was still alive and could use a chainsword so the man sat next to the main door and guarded it. While the First Cohort defended their position the rest of the Legion quickly and stealthily evaded enemy scouting parties and moved towards the city. The well trained scouts took out the main sentries and scouts for the renegades including a few of the hated Traitor Astartes. The XXVII then did what they did best, they got up and charged the unsuspecting renegades in a quick raid. The slaughter was glourious. As they got deeper in the industrial zone they were slowed by the heavier resistance by the renegades. Augustus quickly realized the threat that these renegades posed and knew that his first Cohort would not last long in this mess. He sent his best scouts and Land Speeder Storms to go to find and help the First Cohort. Meanwhile, Octavius held his position as best as he could. With the dead slowly rising from the increasing numbers of the renegades he knew that it would not be much longer. The XXVII Legion was well set with defence but it was not their strongest point. But he knew that if they left this building that the overwhelming numbers would overcome them faster than inside this complex, so he decided to stay. The first wounded was still guarding that door, his armor was covered in the blood of traitors and a dead traitor astartes at his side. His actions would earn him the right to carry the regimental banner or as the XXVII called it, the Eagle. Augustus continued to push forward even though the resistance was only getting heavier. Through the thick of the city they had lost contact with the scouts and land speeders sent out just as they had with the First Cohort, so Augustus had to hope for the best. The other Primus Pilus's thought the elite First Cohort was lost but Augustus quickly sent his Chaplain to stop thoose rumors. Augustus knew they would make it. Octavious was on the final wave that would break his forces when the scouts and land speeders showed up. The renegades were too busy rushing in the factory to see the Legionaries show up behind them and begin the slaughter. After the wounded were taken care of, Octavious set up a field HQ in that factory and left some men to defend it including the scouts and land speeders while the rest of his Cohort went to help the main assault. After Octavious reached Augustus the HQ was set up and communications opened up. The XXVII Legion then coordinated and regrouped and assulted the main HQ of the renegades, killing multiple Death Guard traitor astartes. The Aliesa battle lasted another few months for the purge to be fully completed. Octavious was commended for his grand defence and the Marine who held the door became the aquilifer to bear the Eagle. This battle was the first test of the newly formed XXVII Legion and they came out triumphant.

Romana Empire
Gelrad Augustus was born on the world Romana. The world first was a bunch of city-state settlements that constantly warred with eachother and had no organized government. Augustus, being son of Octavian, who was the leader of his land, was raised in the art of war. Day after day he was drilled with his rifle and sword. He saw his first action at age 15 when he was sent to kill another cities leader so his city state of Romulus would dominate the penninsula they were on. Augustus faught on and on for his city-state until Rumulus dominated the entire planet. After they dominated the renamed the planet Romana after the founder of the city-state. They united under Imperial rule. At first they had more of a republic to determine planetary actions but after a long civil war under Julii Caesar they became a planetary empire, domination they solar system of Primus Vallius. Augustus was a Captain in the planet's Imperial Guard when he went to become a warrior of the mighty Adeptus Astartes. The Emporer called for a new chapter, and Augustus was to be the leader. After many years of recruiting and training the Gladius Regalis chapter arose from the Primus Vallius sector recently renamed to Pax Romana. Gelrad Augustus had what he always dreamed, an army of his own. But it was not Chaos that made him change the Romana Empire against the Emporer and follow their own path, it was his own desire for more. His father, Octavian, always dreamed of a great power in the galaxy arising from Romana, and he instilled it in his son's mind. Augustus had no difficulty changing the allegiance of his chapter, and the Imperial Guardsmen. Each man, woman, and child wanted the same for this Empire. When the Romana Empire discovered how to make Power Armor and how to preserve the gene-seed and how to make similar ones they officialy turned. The Gladius Regalis officially was changed to Legion XXVII Terran and each Imperial Guard was changed to a legion also. After the slaughter of Aliesa it was offical, they needed to break away now. They waited for the arrival of the Imperial Guard units not under Romana to land on the planet. Another seven legions of the Romana Guard were outside a Imperial system of five planets to take them when the order was given. Augustus sent the message through and the legions attacked. On Aliesa the Imperial Guardsmen were slaughtered along with a company of unkown space marines and inquisitors. The Romanan's then took the gene-seed for themselves and altered it to match their own. As that was happening the other Legions captured that whole system quickly. It was official, the Romana Empire was a independent power seperated from the Imperials. The Imperials send two more fleets to try and recapture the system and Aliesa but all attempts failed because the Legions were prepared for this assault. The Imperials then decided it was not worth it for now and they had more better places to be like in the eastern fringe and Cadia. The men on Cadia were pulled out quickly to help with a campaign into T'au territories. So far the campaigns are a success from Augustus's tactics and the Empire's leadership of Julii Caesar.

Xenos Purge
After the discovery of Eldar artifacts and old webway gates, the XXVII Legion got paranoid with their Xenophobia. They burned and destroyed every Xeno object the came into contact with to make sure of no corruption by Xenos. With the war on the T'au growing with each passing day the Romanan's knew they needed to do something, and fast. They would never speak on peace terms with any Xeno scum, it was all or nothing. The XXVII Legion was on a constant lookout for Xenos on their home system but were needed elsewhere. The XXVII Legion was then sent to the T'au controlled worlds. Under the cover of darkness the scouts dropped into the Xeno planet. They were the pathfinders of the XXVII's newest crusade. After several targets were lazed and marked for destruction the scouts were extracted back up to the Julli Romana. The guns of the mighty ships that were once battle barges of the Space Marines opened fire. The T'au forces had no idea what happened. The orbital strike was so potent that the targets were completely destroyed and the T'au lost contact. Just as Augustus expected, the T'au sent reinforcements to thoose positions which drew the forces out of the capital and cities. Along with two Romana Guard Legions they dropped by drop-pods and grav-chutes. The XXVII landed in the middle of the capital as planned and took it under a few hours. The Guard Legions were not so lucky, landing in heavy industrial zones and dence urban areas they had to fight under heavy resistance. That morning Augustus watched through his scope and saw the Romana flag being raised of the highest buildings in the city. The capital was theirs. But, they all knew it would not be that easy. There were still T'au forces out there and they would definetly know of the assault and ready for a fight. The Legions then set up as many fortifications they could and prepared for a large fight, probably the largest they had seen. First engagement came from T'au stealths suits and Pathfinders. They were quickly eliminated by the Guard's heavy weapons with minimum casualties on their side. Then the Commander of the Guard LXIV Legion reported large T'au forces massing on the outskirts of the city. The fight would not be easy, the T'au were outnumbering the Romanans, which was not expected. The T'au assaulted with everything the could, keeping their range and using their heavier weapons against the Romanans. After the long bombardment and medium casualties the T'au charged. The Romana Guard Legions held for over two days and one night against the onslought but they had to fall back. That night they retreated to the inner city to the capital where the XXVII Legion was. The Romana Marines were ready with the survivors of the Guard. That Morning Augustus looked through his scope to see the Romana flags torn down and T'au glyphs in the air. The city was litteraly on fire, the Guard was retreating through the city and blowing everything they could. Pockets who refused to fall back to help their comrades have more time to fall back fought bravly and it was not in vain. The remaining Guard forces made it to the captial. The T'au wasted no time in surrounding the capital. the commander of the LXIV Legion approched Augustus and said "Imperator, the Xenos scum are all around us, would you like to call in a Exterminatus and fight to the last?" Augustus just smiled and said "General, we know exactly where they are, they cant escape now." Augustus told all of his troops to hide in buildings and use stealth and ambushes on his order. The white flag was then raised over the capital and the doors of the inner walls swung open. The T'au, expecting a peace talk, marched right on in. When the T'au Ethreal and Commander approached Augustus, he put a bolt through the Ethreals head and put his power sword through the chest of the commander. Then, his forces all opened up on the T'au from inside buildings. The T'au were massacred in a wave of Lasgun and Bolter fire. They had never seen their own tactics used against them like this, the remaining T'au which was only under a hundred out of the two thousand they started with surrendered. The Romanans took them into the city plaza and lined them up. Each Centurian and Primus Pilus lined up behind a T'au warrior. at Augustus's order each bolter fired into the back of a Xenos's head. The plaza was then renamed The Pool of Blood from the gore and blood pooling from the dead prisoners. With the Ethreal and Commander gone, the T'au forces pulled into retreat in the whole sector but the Romanans, especially the XXVII Legion pursued them as far as they could. In one of the worst defeats of in T'au history they lost a whole ten thousand warriors and vehicles while the Romanans only lost about two thousand and gained another five planets. But the success of the Romanan's brought the attentions of Chaos...

Attack on Romana
*Coming Soon*

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Nice start to the background for your chapter. I am looking forward to some more.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Interesting... but I should tell you that the Death Guard are XIV Space Marine Legion. I don't think that the Imperium would have a Chapter called Legion XIV when one of the Nine Traitor Legions is the XIV Legion.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Er...Are you aware that original Twenty Legions were all numbered with Roman numerals? Cause you've changed it to the Legion number of the Word Bearers. If I was you, I would look up Roman Gods and major figures, and come up with a name from that.

·
Apathetic Megalomaniac
456 Posts
^:eek:k:

He's right, really should refrain from using the word legion and roman numerals up to XX. Otherwise, emberassing mixups are bound to occur.

Lexicanum Is a great place to read up on the 40k universe, find out what's been used, what's bad, what's good, etc...

This has a lot of Roman history stuff as well(just started looking at it for names, so don't know just how reliable it is), just in case you need any help with a new name.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, out of my own personal likes and dislikes I would prefer to keep Legion in the name but I can up the legion number to XXVII which is 27 and I have not seen that number yet so hopefully a check there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I decided to make the XXVII Legion and their homeworlds a independent Empire that turned against the Imperials not under Chaos. It helps a little with the fluff issues and I think it is cooler for me. Tell me what you all think!

·
Apathetic Megalomaniac
456 Posts
I love non-chaos rebels. It might be just me, but I always root for the underdog. possibly why I love the imperial guard. They are always the underdog.

Just be sure to include a plot device, like a warp storm barrier or something that keeps the Imperium from just swallowing you back up again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a really good idea... I will think of something like that tonight as I think of the "Attack on Romana" portion. I do like the Xenos Purge but I dont know if it sounded a little too over powerful but they will have their defeats in this new portion. Then after that I will have one more probably and then thats how the Empire got to where they are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts