Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start my time here off with a question posed to you fine folk.

What legion has the least written about them, as in said legions background not being fleshed out?

I have read about half of the hours heresy books but due to extensive forum lurking i know what happens in most of them :p.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Hrm, id say the Death Guard as the legion with the least exposure beyond a few choice names. Flight of the Eisenstein was mainly about Garro and his band. Morty had some brief cameos in Vengeful Spirit and Scars, then its mainly been Typhus running the show for the legion in a couple shorts.

·
Registered
638 Posts
At this point I would say the II and XI share the least amount of fluff :laugh:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Outside the second and eleventh Legions (which don't count, Over Two Meters Tall! :p), I think the Alpha Legion has the least.

We really don't know much. And what we know we should take with a truck load of salt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any legion with a Forgeworld HH write-up is pretty much excluded immediately. Personally, I would say the Blood Angels, as unlike Scars or the Dark Angels novels, Fear to Tread really didn't have any focus on the operation of the legion, and so I say Blood Angels as a legion have the least background.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Any legion with a Forgeworld HH write-up is pretty much excluded immediately. Personally, I would say the Blood Angels, as unlike Scars or the Dark Angels novels, Fear to Tread really didn't have any focus on the operation of the legion, and so I say Blood Angels as a legion have the least background.
The Forgeworld book for the Alpha Legion, if anything, casts further doubts on what information we had. Like the actual meeting of Alpharius and the Imperium. One of the few nuggets of information we had...

·
Registered
13 Posts
You say that like it's a bad thing. All Alpha Legion information should be cast in doubt. That's a cornerstone of the entire legion. Everything about them is layered over itself, with small bits of truth sprinkled throughout the rumors.

What the FW HH write-up makes abundantly clear is that there's two major sides to the Alpha Legion. The side who stays hidden and disguises themselves as others, performing more covert operations, but just as large is the side that makes themselves extremely visible, with bright colors, heraldry and large formations, to act as the face of the legion. This is not anything that was previously known.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I can't really fairly judge the AL because I've gone out of my way to find out as much as I can about them. That said, a great deal of their fluff essentially tells us how little is known about them. Then again, (paradoxically?) the fluff about them being a mystery is their fluff so perhaps it does count

The Blood Angels are a decent shout as far as 30k goes but I can't see how a legion with its own codex for as long as I remember (back to 99), plenty of models and several 40k Black Library books can have less background than the Alpha Legion or Death Guard

With the Death Guard a lot of their 40k related fluff that I know of is really just fluff describing Nurgle and doesn't say a great deal about them as a legion.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Brotherhood of the Storm, Scars and Brotherhood of the Moon really went deeply into the heads of the White Scars legion and fleshed out their personality. So no, they have had their turn in the spotlight and got well served.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Here's my top 3.

1. Death Guard.
2. Imperial Fist.
3. Blood angels/White Scar.

AL doesn't really count as it is their schtick of being an unknown matter.
Good list. I thought about the Imperial Fists for a moment... while we've seen plenty of Dorn in the HH so far there's been relatively little about the chapter generally or Dorn in his early years. Not too dissimilar to the Death Guard and Mortarion. Mortarion appears in plenty of books but the Death Guard as a legion haven't been explored to the extent of the other legions

Fair point about the Alpha Legion, I agree

Annoying all of these limited editions, novellas, shorts and audios when two legions haven't had their own respective books yet...

Theoretical: We can look forward to some great books detailing the Death Guard and Imperial Fists
Practical: We can expect dozens of short stories about the shattered legions and non astartes before that happens

1 - 12 of 12 Posts