Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing for a week (after 6 years away from the game) and I need a little help with the LotD.

I remembered these guys from the fluff, but was thrilled to see they're actual units now.

Just acquired 10 of these guys... are they worth the 300+ points?
How does their Deep Strike work (just like a reserve unit?)?
and what is the best (holistically speaking) deployment tactic for these dudes?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Unfortunately not being a marine player means that I can't give you much advice other that saying the I don't think that they really are worth the points. The fact that I have never actually seen them in a non-white dwarf army list would lead me to believe that I am correct. That of course does not mean that you should not use them, just that they won't win you competitions.

·
Registered
164 Posts
lol, not really so, i remeber having my GK decimated in close combat by these guys with sterm and his termes having to come to the rescue, at the time we could not grasp the rules for these guys very well. That single squad at the right time turned my win to a draw. But the case stands that they can be a pain to kill and becasue they can outflank with ease they can decide the outcome and if used well.

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
I find that the lotd are best in larger games, but they are awesome in ges of planetstrike, for the reason that they can move ( slow and purposeful) and cleanse an objective with their heavy flamer and bolters and then cpature the objective. their major bonus in these games is their deep strike rule, allowing them to deep strike in, shoot and them assault the objective. Even if they weren't that good, they are awesome models and will make your army really characterful, so use them anyway. Put up some pics when you get them painted.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
they can move ( slow and purposeful) and cleanse an objective with their heavy flamer and bolters and then cpature the objective.
They are an elite unit, they cannot capture objectives.

their major bonus in these games is their deep strike rule, allowing them to deep strike in, shoot and them assault the objective.
Not correct. They can re-roll deepstrike scatter dice and must always start from reserve and always enter by deepstriking. All the other rules for deepstriking apply. They cannot assault after deepstriking.

For your average game, a LoTD squad is going to be points heavy. They have some good rules going for them, but they also have a few negatives too. If anything, they are fun to use but just expect to be severely outnumbered on the game table model wise if you use them.

There deepstrike rule is a little different. You can re-roll the scatter dice if you want, and they always start in reserves and thus always deepstrike onto the table, other than that, all the rules for deepstriking apply.

As for the best way to use them, they cannot hold an objective, but can contest one. Deepstrike them were they can sit on an objective with their fearlessness, relentlessness and the invul. save to make them a real thorn to remove.

They can also be anti armor or anti HQ unit if equipped with a meltagun and a missile launcher, multimelta or a lascannon, (all of which can be fired on the move due to slow and perp!) and deepstriking behind an armored formation or HQ group can be nasty. Basically, I wouldn't hesitate to drop a unit right in the middle of my opponents lines and start blasting away. With a 3+invul. save, fearless and slow and perp, they can move, shoot, absorb damage and stay to the last model thus causing some serious distractions and confusion in your opponents lines. Sure, that is one expensive distraction, but that is sort of there purpose really.

·
Registered
361 Posts
iv had a unit of six of these with a Heavy Flamer but have never used them yet. i think il try them out on moday aginst my eldar oponent.il do as said above an throw them into this rear line to chause some havoc.

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
They are an elite unit, they cannot capture objectives.

Not correct. They can re-roll deepstrike scatter dice and must always start from reserve and always enter by deepstriking. All the other rules for deepstriking apply. They cannot assault after deepstriking.
if you read my post properly you would have noticed that i was talking about planetstrike :wacko:

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
if you read my post properly you would have noticed that i was talking about planetstrike :wacko:
Gotcha. I don't have the planetstrike rules, and didn't throughly read your post, but as the original poster is concerned about regular games, it is only beneficial to quote rules that pertain to general gaming and not specialized or special circumstances. But, I digress... :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
From what I've observed, LOTD give you the oppurtunity to get a lot of Melta weaponry where you want it quickly. I can see them working against heavy mechanised armies, or in games of Planetstrike, but otherwise their cost would relegate them to only seeing use in big games.

Which is a shame, because I like the and want to make an army of them someday.

·
Registered
494 Posts
A little follow up question... can LotD units benefit from a locator beacon on board?
Yes they can benefit from it as they deepstrike. Dred drop pod with locator beacon and then LOTD... ouch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts