Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I finally managed to get myself some game time (on another system) and managed to take the tournament first prize which was a load of store credit. Now I have been wanting to play Warmahordes for a long time so decided to get the Hordes Battle Box For Two Players, Heavy Beastpack, Forsaken, and Warspear Chieftan as well as purchasing the Legion book for myself.

I've never played a game (not including demo games) but have really taken a shine to the system and especially the Heavy Warbeasts of the Legion. On the 13th August I have a 'friendly' tournament to attend which should give me the time to learn some of the rules and enable me to get a list thrown together.

The Tournament is 30 points with a single caster and this is what I was thinking I would take

Rhyas
Shredder
Shredder
Carnivean
Scythean
Warspears (leader and 4 Grunts)
Warspear Chieftan
The Forsaken.

What do you think?

If it helps the models available to me will be, am not looking to spend too much more

Lylyth
Rhyas
4x Shredder
Carnivean
Scythean/Ravagore/Carnivean (magnetised)
Warpears(leader and 4 Grunts) + UA
Forsaken

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update time.

I misunderstood the tourney, it is an esculation leage starting at 15 pts working up to 35 pts.

So 15 pts list
Lylyth
Scythean
Warspears (leader and 4 grunts)
Warspear Chieftan
Forsaken

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Right, well with that second list, the big glaring problem I'm seeing right away is that you have a FURY 5 warlock with only a FURY 4 beast. Warlocks need their beasts to produce fury so they can leech it to themselves to use, so you really want to have 5 fury to fill lylyth up at the very least. I'd drop the Forsaken to get a Shredder, the Forsaken is mostly about fury managment anyway, and you really don't need her if you don't have enough fury being generated to need management anyway. That also gets you access to the Shredders animus, which is a wonderful little thing (+1 DEF and ARM) that will help keep Lylyth and the scythean alive.

Aside from that, it's a pretty nice little list, similar to one a friend of mine uses. If you can get Lylyth to get her Parasite spell onto an enemy heavy, you'll have no problems mincing it with either your Warspears or Scythean, and you'll have your feat and Lylyths own shooting to deal with High DEF stuff. Just be aware that you almost certainly will lose a lot of games when starting off - it takes a while to get used to the tactics needed in warmachine and the combos that others can do, but you'll learn :grin:

The Rhyas list I can't comment on, however, as I don't have as much experience playing against her. If I were you I'd focus on learning just Lylyth for the moment, and work on Rhyas later, as it takes a fair few games to really learn a caster, I think.

All in all, an Escalation League is probably best for you, as it allows you to build up and learn the game at different levels. If there's someone who can just run you through a few battlebox games, that's often the best way to learn the basics of the game and Fury management.

Also, if you haven't checked it out already, here's a good list builder for you: http://www.forwardkommander.com/

Hope that helps a little :)

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So would I be better off starting with the "Battlebox" contents and adding to it

15 Points
Lylyth, Herald of Everblight
Shredder
Shredder
Shredder
Shredder
Carnivean
The Forsaken

25 Points
Shredder
Shredder
Shredder
Shredder
Carnivean
Ravagore
The Forsaken

35 Points
Shredder
Shredder
Shredder
Shredder
Carnivean
Ravagore
Warpears (Leader and 4 Grunts)
Warspear Chieftan
The Forsaken

Meanwhile looking to swap out a shredder or two for something else?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Well, you certainly could, though what I meant was that the Battle-box was a good way to learn the game, if you could get a few practice games in before the league actually started. The battle box is generally a good way to learn the basics, as it's just your caster and beasts without any distractions while you learn about positioning, the flow of the game and managing FURY.

For the actual escalation league, either list would be a good place to start from, but I think the Warspears 15pt list might be better place to start from just because when you move up in points, you'll probably want only one or two shredders. You could also take a second Heavy in place of the Warspears, though that might leave you with too few attacks if you run up against an infantry heavy 15pts.

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand what you mean, however week 1 is the battlebox only, week 2 is 15pts, week 3 is 25, week 4 you can.change caster, week 5 is 35 pts and week 6 I have forgotten but think its is optimising. I may switch to circle for the actual.journeyman league and go for a themed Kaya Wolves of Orboros force dunno

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I understand what you mean, however week 1 is the battlebox only, week 2 is 15pts, week 3 is 25, week 4 you can.change caster, week 5 is 35 pts and week 6 I have forgotten but think its is optimising. I may switch to circle for the actual.journeyman league and go for a themed Kaya Wolves of Orboros force dunno
Oh I see, a proper journeyman league, that makes sense :)

Circle are pretty cool too, they're definitely one of the most unexpected and tricksy factions in the game. They're great too, but I would say that the circle battlebox has a very steep learning curve to it - it requires a lot of hit and run antics and using terrain to your advantage, but it can be very powerful if used properly.

Bit of an explanation on how to use the circle battlebox:
http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?76777-Circle-Orboros-Journeyman-League-Guide

Also, I assume you've taken a look at the quickstarter rules and the battlebox card info for all the factions? If not, they can be found here: http://privateerpress.com/hordes/the-game

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the links, am on the site already. Hopefully will have a test game or 2 this weekend and try and decide on circle or legion...worse case scenario I can use both.

Been reading the rulebook over a few days so got the basics sorted in my mind, not all that dissimilar a system to malifaux to be honest

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I really need to read the rules it seems, I have painted more or less the Starter Set from the Hordes 2 player box for the Legion of Everblight and as a result will not be getting hobby points for this as the league has not yet started....which is slightly annoying and seems like I'm going to have to do Journeyman with Circle if I want to get some Hobby Points back (or stick with Legion and spend more money then I had planned)

I may see if they will let it slide as I have the Legion Plog on here so they can see when I actually started (which was after I signed up for the league)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Ah, hopefully they'll let you get away with it, seeing as you are actually painting up your legion specifically for this league anyway.

·
Mad as a sack of Squigs
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll still get the hobby points as long as I dont paint more than the battlebox contents

1 - 11 of 11 Posts