Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I have read many 40K novels, Im not a gamer and am always impressed with the amount of background information that the loyal gamers possess. Can anyone out there tell me what books they read to find all that juicy "fluff" that is not included in the novels. Specifics would be greatly appreciated, I am quite willing to buy and read the Codexes and such if that is where said information can be found, I am just hesitant to purchase them without knowing for sure since Im not a gamer. Many Thanks.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
The Index Astartes Articles will give you a clear and detailed overview of every popular Astartes Legion/Chapter. Horus Heresy Collected Visions gives a vast amount of detail and background on the Heresy era, with the Heresy novel series slowly expanding on it.

Beyond that the Codicies do give a fair amount of army background, although not all of them. So depending on what your after, you can pick up some Codicies for some interesting background info.

CotE.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
The Index Astartes Articles will give you a clear and detailed overview of every popular Astartes Legion/Chapter. Horus Heresy Collected Visions gives a vast amount of detail and background on the Heresy era, with the Heresy novel series slowly expanding on it.

Beyond that the Codicies do give a fair amount of army background, although not all of them. So depending on what your after, you can pick up some Codicies for some interesting background info.

CotE.
[woo CotE is back, I was getting worried for a while]

There's also the other background books like Liber Chaotica, Insignium Astartes, and Xenology that are extremely useful- I personally get all my info from all sources mentioned. When it comes to Codexes I made sure I've got all of them produced since 3rd Edition, with 3 books from 2nd Edition- given time I can respond to almost any fluff query :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I got Liber Chaotica a couple weeks ago and am reading it now, and since reading these posts am definitely going to buy Collected Visions. Any other useful texts would be appreciated. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
While im not sure on specifics, I do believe that Forge World's Imperial Armour series gives alot of background information. Seeing as the newest incarnation has the Raven Guard and previous ones have included various Chaos Warbands and Chapters, I am sure you would enjoy those, if you would like to pay the hefty price tags :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts