Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.:Forgive me if there are already threads like this or if I have posted something similar to this. It's been a while since I've been on.:.

All right! I've been idle here on Heresy Online for a long time. Mostly in part to the fact that I recently got a job, and so I'm usually either too beat or distracted to have been able to paint any minis or even play my first game of 40k.

So, first thing's first. How can I go about making the Space Marine's portion of the Assault on Black Reach box set legal to play casually at our local GW store(Memphis Battle Bunker)? I know there are a, for lack of a better phrase, sh*t ton of different options to choose from, but I would really like to play ASAP. Any suggestions for new models? Opinions on whether or not I should go with a lot of troops, or a beefy vehicle army?

So far I just have the standard AOBR set.

Space Marine Captain
Space Marine Tactical Squad
Space Marine Terminator Squad
Space Marine Dreadnaught

Thanks, guys!

Oh, and when I get back to painting (finally finish the Captian), I'll be sure to post them up together. :eek:k:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You need either an additional Tactical Squad or a Scout Squad.

A legal army must field at least one HQ and two Troop units. You have one of each. Tac squads and Scouts are your basic troop units

I'd go with the Tactical squad more flexable, but Scouts can work.

A Rhino would help lots, two if you can, one for each Tac squad.

Consider picking up the Space Marine Battleforce, it'll set you up right and give you options. It has a Tactical Squad, Combat Squad, Scout Squad, Assault Squad and a Rhino.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the Ultramarines are the only canon chapter that's remotely cool or interesting - but playing UM's will mark you out as both 'the new guy' and a sheep, because the world and his brother plays UMs.

Consider selecting or creating (I'd strongly suggest creating your own homebrew chapter) a different chapter before you do more painting, better to do it now than find that in a year's time you wish you had - and now you have to repaint 3000 points worth of smurfs...

Just saying.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I've already got to get at least another set of tactical marines because a friend of mine happened to break up one or two of my marines(angry, unforgiving face).

And yeah, color-scheme wise, I'm already sort of regretting UM. They're one of my favorite canon chapters, but I'm starting to find the color scheme a little boring. I'm kind of wanting a red/yellow or an orange thing going.

An army of brightly colored marines coming at you. I would lul.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm kind of wanting a red/yellow or an orange thing going.

Those two points you just gave listed an actual chapter

Howling Griffons

hows that for an army of brightly coloured (Red/yellow) spess mahreens coming at you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
And yeah, color-scheme wise, I'm already sort of regretting UM. They're one of my favorite canon chapters, but I'm starting to find the color scheme a little boring. I'm kind of wanting a red/yellow or an orange thing going.

There's also the Angry Marines :biggrin: *Runs for Cover*

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
To make it better go for a rhino, another tactical squad, maybe a drop pod for the dread and then I'd go for a vindicator, after that I 'd go for some stern guard to go with the captain

·
Registered
494 Posts
To 'legalise' the contents of the Assault on Black Reach box set you don't need anything- split the Tactical Squad up into 2 squads of 5 and you're ready to go.
Sorry man but it isn't legal due to the squad containing a missle launcher and a flamer which is only allowed if it is a ten man squad.

I would recommend another tactical squad and maybe a predator.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The only way I could think of making the box legal without puchasing any other items would be to run with Codex: Dark Angels and proxy the captain as Belial. 1 HQ, 1 Elite, and 2 troops. (Termies are troops with Belial)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Okay, this is what I'm thinking so far.

HQs
Space Marine Captain
Either a Chaplain or a Grey Knight's Brother Captain/Grandmaster (Probably Chaplain for a while LOL)
Troops
3 5-10 Man Tac Marine Squads w/ Rhino(s)
1 3-6 Man Grey Knights Squad w/ justicar
1 5 Man Termie squad
2 Dreads
2 Assault Sqauds

Seeing as though I really don't know how legal that is or not.... Any opinions?

·
Nectar of the Gods!
58 Posts
I'd go with 2 5-10 Tac squads, and 3 dreads... and maybe a predator

And more dice... AoBR comes with 6 d6 and a scatter... that is a pittance of dice... they should include a dice cube.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.