Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started an Ultramarine army a while back, intented for a turnament in the Netherlands. Since then me and my friends have moved to a new gaming clup. The new clup usually plays with a set of houserules meaning that everything with a WS is scoring.

So here I am with a brandnew 1500pt list.
I went for a strong firebase with some good counter assault abilities. At the same time I wanted to make this list fit the feel and fluff of the ultramarines.

HQ
Chaplain Cassius 125pt

Troops
Tactical Squad(10): Power Fist,Flamer,Lascannon 195
Razorback:TL Assault Cannon 75

Tactical Squad(10): Power Fist,Flamer,Lascannon 195
Razorback:TL Assault Cannon 75

Fast Attack
Bike Squadron(7): Power Fist,Meltaguns x2,Attack Bike w. Multi-melta 285

Assault Squad(9):Dual Lightning Claws 194
Rhino:Dozer Blades

Heavy Support
Predator:Lascannon sponson 120

Devastators(10):Missle Launchersx4 220

Total 1489

·
Registered
670 Posts
Cassius isn't a too bad buy just consider with another squad he becomes T4 because of majority toughness so you're losing a benefit which you pay for.

As your combat squading your troops 5 combat marines don't win combat even with a power fist, so I'd drop it. I'd replace the assault cannons with lascannons so you've got a bucket of lascannons on the job.

Double the bike unit or assault squad. Always take them in pairs for target priority ;)

Heavy support is all ok.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

regarding Cassius, as he is an IC he is targeted seperatly from the rest of the unit and therefor benefits from the T6 ;)

The Combat squads work together Shooting/assaulting the same things and I must say, so far they have yet to disapoint me.

you bring a valid point regarding the Razorbacks and I had thought about it myself, so will propably do that. Anywho its the same point cost so I can just switch them around accordingly.

The Role of the bike Squadron is to run a sort of deathrace against LR's and other things threatning my gunline, and I must say so far they have preformed admirably.

Assault squad and Cassius have been functioning as a counter assault squad they have so far destroyed the things they have assaulted but took a terrible toll themselves. I dont quite know how to feel about them yet.
Maybe running them with another assault squad would help here. thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
648 Posts
He's talking about shooting. Even then, normal assault marines are pretty terribad in assault. Ditch them for more Bikes. If you want a real combat unit, Command Squad, packless Vanguard and TH/SS Terms are your best bet.

Powerfists on 5 man squads are a huge waste of points. You're better off using combat tactics to jump out of assault and keep shooting.

Librarians are your go-to pick for HQs. Psychic Defense and Null Zone win.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well even in shooting he has his merits as he can take those missiles and whatnot and still survive easily.

As i said before the assault marines have been varying in their effectivness so I will definitly think about changing them for more bikes or somthing else entirely.

On the subject of the combat squad with the powerfist. I really think people underestimate them. they have been one of the most reliable units in my army as of yet.
though i am thinking of switching the fist and flamer for some plasma support combat squad instead.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Firstly bikes are not an assault unit (See tactica). They do however excel when combat squadded. Putting all your meltas in to one unit and then boosting towards a LR works well. Trust me I have done it for over a year. Accept the fact that after they have blown up the LR, they will die.

I cannot think of a more inappropriate title for a unit; "assault squad". Far to easy to pick off, they have to spend most of their time in the open (if they have jump packs), and then when it comes to the "forte" they are weak at best. As for the other options the only choice is assault terminators. Command squads and vanguard are vastly overpriced for what they bring.

I have concerns about putting high priced weaponary on razorbacks (only really works with BA). They are armour 11 and cost more than chimera.

If you take more than one unit of bikes, I would get a captain on a bike to make them troops.

Devastators are, IMO, not very good either, for their points you can nearly get two vindicators, which have much greater versatility (Monoliths, LRs, Terminators, Nobs, etc.). Vindicators should be used in pairs to get the desired effect.

Best thing to do is have a think about what has been said. If you agree with some of it, have a look at you list and see if you can make some changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts