Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Disciple of Change
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Heretics, this is my first attempt at Homebrew fluff. This is in its 5th draft now, it has been heavily revised since its beginnings. I'm sure there are fluff errors and such in here, so I will correct them as necessary if they are way too far out there. Enjoy the first batch of fluff for my custom legion, the Daemon Guard :victory:

Lazarius Daemoncaller​

For millennia the Grey Knights of the Inquisition have been pivotal in the defense of the Imperium of Man against daemons and aliens. The most elite of these warriors were bestowed the highly coveted honor of becoming a Terminator, which granted them the mighty Tactical Dreadnought armour. Adept psykers and fierce hand-to-hand combatants, they are a force to be reckoned with.

While only the most elite, gifted warriors are permitted to join the ranks of the Grey Knights, some of the Emperor’s Space Marines have been known to work alongside the Grey Knights in eradicating the daemonic threat from the galaxy. Only those that show the most dedication to the cause, the strongest wills, and the greatest fighting prowess are allowed to work alongside the Grey Knights. They are also required to use psychic powers to some extent. One Space Marine, known as Lazarius ‘Daemoncaller’, was one of those special marines, who was so powerful, so dedicated, that he became the extra support of a Grey Knight Terminator squad.

Lazarius ‘Daemoncaller’ earned his nickname due to his outlandish way of proving his prowess. Whenever a member of the squad would question his dedication or his ability to serve with the Grey Knights, he would focus his psychic powers and invoke an incantation through time and space, allowing his mind to enter the warp, where he would summon a daemon and draw it into the mortal world. He then would cut it down, as proof that he was not only able, but incredibly willing to fend off the Daemons of Chaos. It was very rare that someone who had seen this grotesque display of power would ever challenge him again.

Lazarius dedicated his very existence to hunting daemons. He was known for being the only member of the Imperium capable of pursuing fleeing daemons back into the warp. This was unheard of, as no one had ever followed a daemon into the warp. There were endless numbers of daemons in the warp, surely he would be killed. Yet time and time again he would enter the warp, not returning until every daemon that had fled the battle that day was vanquished. As time went on, it would take him longer and longer to return from his excursions to the warp. The Grey Knight squad believed their fellow warrior was simply finding more daemons to slaughter. The truth, however, was far more sinister, for the Chaos Gods were behind his unheard of feat.

Few individuals can enter the warp without hearing the whispers of Chaos. Even the most strong willed can be driven mad by the constant chatter of the Chaos Gods in their head. The fact that Lazarius was allowed by the Dark Gods to enter the warp outside of the protection of a ship made him no exception. Each time he entered the warp, he could hear the whispers in his head, softly at first. He was able to ignore them, pushing on to kill the creatures which he despised so much. Soon the whispers grew louder, and he would find himself listening, as the Chaos Gods would appeal to his deepest desires. He would often find himself listening intently to what the gods would say, even answering back on occasion. Soon he found it difficult to leave the warp. Eventually, he had no desire to leave.

Lazarius had always been a very power hungry individual. He desired to join the ranks of the Grey Knights, but was deemed too weak minded to be able to remain resolute in the toughest of times. He coveted the ornate and powerful armour they possessed. The Chaos Gods knew that this would be the perfect leverage to win him over to their side. They implored him to have one of the Terminators follow him into the warp the next time he went, so that he may kill him and claim the armor as his own. At first, as with all thoughts of betrayal, Lazarius was hesitant. He did not want to kill one of the men he had worked alongside for so long. As the Gods continued to prod him, however, he soon gave in.

During his last fight for the Imperium, Lazarius invited one of the veteran Grey Knight Terminators to follow him, so that he may have assistance in the battle against the daemons within the warp. More than willing to defend the Imperium in every way possible, the veteran plunged into the warp before Lazarius, sealing his fate. Once inside, the veteran saw no daemons, he saw nothing. When he turned to ask Lazarius what they were to do, he felt the sharp pain of a power sword imbedding into the soft spot between his neck armor and helmet. Staring at Lazarius in disbelief, the Grey Knight crumbled to the ground, dead within an instant. Lazarius, shocked that he had slain a veteran Grey Knight Terminator so easily, began to laugh as he removed the armour from the slain Grey Knight, pleased with what he had accomplished.

The Terminators of their squad believed that Lazarius had finally been bested in battle against the daemons, and believed them both to be dead. They moved on with their campaigns against the forces of Chaos, remembering their fallen squadmates. Lazarius, however, had not been killed but finally succumbed to the persuasions of the Chaos Gods. Knowing that he could never go back to the Imperium after what he had done, he pledged allegiance to the forces of Chaos, acquiring the great power they had promised him. Pleased to have obtained a new pawn for their game, they granted him heightened psychic powers, and the fearsome daemon-weapon known as Dreadclaw, to complement his new armour.

Lazarius based himself on a secluded daemon world in the Eye of Terror, where he could surround himself with daemon servants, planning strikes on the Imperium. He carefully picked planets that were in close vicinity of each other, enter the warp with a small squad of willing Chaos Space Marines or Terminators, and wreck havoc on the unsuspecting world as he immerged from the warp in the midst of peaceful cities. His daemon hordes would spew forth from the holes he would create space, aiding in his rampages. He knew word of daemon attacks in a concentrated area would draw out the old squad he had served with, which he intended to destroy as a final test of his new found might.

As Lazarius sat alone in his daemonic fortress, he received news that his old squad had taken up position on a planet that was yet to be attacked by his horde of daemons. Pleased that he could finally face off with his old comrades, he immediately tore open a rift in the warp with a swipe of the Dreadclaw and traveled to where the Grey Knight Terminators were preparing for a patrol.

The Terminators saw the warp open before them, and saw what looked like their Dreadnought armour begin to emerge. They saw that the armour had been repainted to a much darker semblance, the sacred purity seals that were attached were defiled, with words like DEATH and BLOOD scrawled over the holy writings. They feared that their Grey Knight brother had succumbed to the warp, rather than be defeated by it and prepared to destroy him. When the full figure revealed itself, and they saw the twisted, smirking face, they knew that it had been the Daemoncaller that had been corrupted, and they knew he was there for them.

They immediately opened fire on the great figure, as they advanced to engage him in close-combat. This proved fruitless, as he punched holes in their powerful armour with the talons of Dreadclaw. Those who maintained distance found themselves fighting off daemons as well, as Daemoncaller pulled daemons from the warp to fight by his side. They fought a gallant fight, but soon they were overwhelmed, as the daemons plunged daemonic swords and claws through the tough armor they wore.

Lazarius approached the mass of limp Tactical Dreadnought armour, cackling with glee. He had passed his test, and knew he was mightier than even his Grey Knight companions. He knew that no one in the galaxy could best him if the mighty Grey Knight Terminators could not. Off to the side, Lazarius saw one of the best soldiers the squad boasted attempting to drag his broken and bleeding body to a nearby lance. Daemoncaller approached him, and kicked him onto his back.

“We should have never trusted you” the wounded Knight spat. “We should have known you would have been too weak to resist the corruption of Chaos.”

Lazarius smiled a twisted smile, and said, “You have no idea to power that they have given me,” as he executed the Knight with a shot from his wrist mounted bolter.

Lazarius instructed his minions to collect the bodies and weapons of the fallen Knights and take them back through the warp, delivering them to his throne. He did not want such powerful relics to go to waste. It was time for him to build his army. It was time for him to destroy the Imperium of Man. Death to the False Emperor.

It was on this day, that the Daemoncaller founded one of the mightiest of the Legions of Chaos, known as the Daemon Guard.

·
Registered
941 Posts
cool, traitor gray knights! got any stats for him?

·
Disciple of Change
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not just yet. This is going to be an army of a lot of special type characters. Laz isn't exactly a Grey Knight, he was more a Space Marine that worked along side them. I was planning on traitor greys, but it just doesnt work. Look for the next installment in the Fluff, which is what happens to the dead Termies in his old squad :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
sounds good!:victory:

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Honestly, can't see much being done with the armour. They will have so many wards and hex's that they are anathema to warp creatures and anything else not pure enough to wear aegis armour will be hurt in the attempt.

·
Disciple of Change
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm sure there is something I can come up with that isnt too far out there that will make it possible, such as constant exposure to the energies of the warp, maybe defiling the holy symbols on the armor, or other various means. I'll figure something out

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Idea fail. Sorry dude but they were made to fuck with them.

·
Disciple of Change
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any feedback on the actual piece I have now? The use of the dead GKTs is still off in the works of an idea for me lol

·
Disciple of Change
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Honestly, can't see much being done with the armour. They will have so many wards and hex's that they are anathema to warp creatures and anything else not pure enough to wear aegis armour will be hurt in the attempt.
As this fact would definitely messed with my Fluff and Legion plan, I decided to do a bit of research into the matter so that I may see what the extent of these hex's would be. Here is what I found out:

"The suits of power and Terminator armour worn by the Grey Knights are incredibly well crafted lattice of psychoconductive filaments and amulets*7; anointed and inscribed with prayers and wards, ritually consecrated and psychically charged. Working in tandem with the Grey Knights' formidable psychic powers, the Aegis armour protects the wearers from the effects of the Immaterium and the Daemons it spawns. The armor's ritual blessings and psychic resonance also serve to confound the perception of any enemy, resulting in an effect called the Shrouding. The psychically charged nature of the armour allows its mere presence to induce intense terror and pain in any nearby daemons and warp spawn, also loosening their grip on the material realm."-Lexicanum (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Grey_Knights#Aegis_Armour)

In this passage, it does say that there are different things in effect to protect the wearer of the armor from harm in the form of the Ruinous Powers. However, this is accomplished by talismans and prayers that have been inscribed into the armor. It also states that the psychic powers of the Grey Knights work with the psychic energies within the armor to create its effects, including causing pain on a daemon. That being said, destruction of these talismans, prayers, and the wearer would seem to bring about the end of their effects. Even further, since the armor is psychically charged, it would be theoretically possible for a potent psyker to "dispel" the armor, or change the energies that flow through the armor to serve a purpose that does not harm daemons.

Personally from this I believe that from this passage once the wearer is dead and no longer able to channel his psychic energies through the armor, it will no longer have the damaging effects on daemons, but also no longer retain much of its old powers. The armor could possibly be manipulated by another psyker or changed by adding Chaotic Rites in place of the Inquisitional Prayers and adding Chaos talismans to the armor. This is very debatable, but I feel this is a fairly reasonable approach to the matter as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
The passage you quoted states that the prayers and wards are inscribed into the armour. That would be carving the actual symbols and words into the armour, so that the only way to be rid of them is by completely destroying them and doing horrendous damage to the armour itself.

Then there is each part of the armour being ritually consecrated and charged with psychic energy. Thats energy already acting within the armour before someone even dons it; this energy would go on to augment and amplify the powers of the wearer.

The very presence of aegis armour is anethema to warp creatures, the warp touched, and all who align themselves with chaos. This is armour designed and protected against such things, worn by beings who are trained in every sense to combat them. Grey Knights in their aegis armour are not the most potent fighting force against daemons and the warp for nothing; if obtaining and tainting their gear was so simple that all it took was to kill the wearer then you can bet that more effort would be put into doing so. (Seeing as this is not the case..)

Tainting the armour of a Grey Knight is likely similar to corrupting the Tau. Its eventually possible, but the effort and energy required to do it is not worth it; there are far easier things you can spend that time, effort, and energy on.

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
Tainting the armour of a Grey Knight is likely similar to corrupting the Tau. Its eventually possible, but the effort and energy required to do it is not worth it; there are far easier things you can spend that time, effort, and energy on.
like perhaps having a successful Black Crusade for instance... any day now Chaos...any day now...seriously...

CP

·
Disciple of Change
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe so, I would agree it wouldn't be an easy task to do it, but a smart Chaos Lord would know that an enemy seeing GKTs running at them would probably be pretty scared, so the energy would be worth it if one wanted to go on Commissar's Black Crusade lol. Idk its a fun idea, and I'm still going to run with it. It will simply take a little more thought than I previously considered to make the next part of the story make sense, and a revision on Laz's story as well so that He can wear the armor, since it seems to be the consensus that even a tainted Space Marine would be in some pain from it. Feedback man. What you like and dont like, so I can continue revisions. This is still a draft of it, just one I was comfortable releasing. You should see the first draft XD maybe I'll post it sometime

1 - 13 of 13 Posts