Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To compensate for the way my Dark Apostle may have to aim his plasma pistol i was considering putting him on the chaos terminator lord base with the rock so that it looks like he is firing down off the rock, but what wanna know is-

1/ Is it legal?

2/ Will it make a huge difference in combat?

3/ Should i just leave it on the small base and hope i can sort out his firing arm?

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Yes
Maybe
Your Call

The rules say that you are free to put figures on larger bases, you just can't put them on *smaller* bases than they came with. (p.6, bbb)

A larger base means you can be in base-to-base contact with more models at once. This can give you an advantage in assault, but it can also be a problem. Bigger base means you can't move through gaps as well. You have to be more careful when positioning your troops so as to leave room for the big guy to get through

I'd go for it, especially if the character is assault oriented. But if you're going for the base because you can;t get his arm the way you want it you should do whatever it takes to make the model look the way you want it. If that means putting it on a base, then cool If it means cutting, then cut it. Do what it takes to make the model the way you want it.

·
Banned
801 Posts
My base use is determined first, last and only by the model I put on it. My Emperor's Champion, standing on a rocky pinnacle and challenging the crap out of whoever I aim his pointing hand at, is simply too large to fit on a normal base. A temrinator base leaves it unbalanced, so I stuck him on a custom-cut base halfway between Terminator and Dreadnought. My new Chaos Lord, because of the insane extent of conversion involved, won't fit on anything smaller than a dreadnought base.

This is the reason larger bases are allowed. It is to give rules freedom to what is a primarily a modelling hobby. I wouldn't give anything a larger base simply for a game advantage, becaue if I genuinely need the minute and questionable advantage it gives to win games I've got more important things to worry about.

·
Registered
804 Posts
uberschveinen said:
My base use is determined first, last and only by the model I put on it. My Emperor's Champion, standing on a rocky pinnacle and challenging the crap out of whoever I aim his pointing hand at, is simply too large to fit on a normal base. A temrinator base leaves it unbalanced, so I stuck him on a custom-cut base halfway between Terminator and Dreadnought. My new Chaos Lord, because of the insane extent of conversion involved, won't fit on anything smaller than a dreadnought base.

This is the reason larger bases are allowed. It is to give rules freedom to what is a primarily a modelling hobby. I wouldn't give anything a larger base simply for a game advantage, becaue if I genuinely need the minute and questionable advantage it gives to win games I've got more important things to worry about.
Pics uber show us pics, sounds like some good stuff!
But yeah as for bases, pretty much what works best, but its usually best to have it in a unit with equal sized bases just to make life easier is my only suggestion

·
Banned
801 Posts
I took apart the Champion for painting that never happened, and the only other pics are of atrocious quality. The Lord is ongoing, and given that it's unbelievably hard to use chains in dynamic fashion in static miniatures on the scale I'm looking at, it'll be ongoing for a long time yet.

·
Banned
801 Posts
I'ts mostly the Terminator Lord with as many little parts as I can stick on, the Twin-linked Bolter arm, and the pointing fist arm. The fist is shackled, and chains are more or less wherever I can stick them. The plan is for the chains to be attacking a bunch of stuff around him, was I can get it done. Right now, I've got the ones anchoring him to the ground in, and I've attached most at one end. I'm planning for the ones from the fist to be cocooning and crushing an IG officer, there's another one torn in half I'm tryoing to fit in to his left, I've got one held up by the leg in front of his Bolter, and there's one behind him trying to crawl away and being dragged back.

I could have finished building it by now, but I just can't get the chains to look dynamic easily. It needs a strong bond to hold them to look tight, and that's what I need. Maybe using jeweller's chain won't work for everything, and I'll have to get an assload of stiff plastics, unless anyone else has experience with this?

Keep in mind I won't just run wires down the chains. that's visible and cheapens the effect of a model I've spent maybe twelve hours by now just building, let alone planning and collecting parts for.

·