Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends and I are having a massivemulti command battle soon that will be approximatley 3000 pts guard&tau v 3000 pts Eldar/Necrons v 3000 pts space wolves. any ideas on what to do? my current plan (im guard/t'au) is stay back and blast at anyone who comes near, let the others mash each other up. also, any tactics vs necrons and space wolves would be nice, I havent fought them recently.

cheers

·
Registered
304 Posts
let the guard be a nice buffer zone, and just pummel everyone else on the board, going for juicy targets and by the time everyone is finished with each other, you'll be able to mop them up nicely

pretty much what you've already got, but just try to influence the guard player in the way of "Harlies? oh, they're RUBBISH fighters, no match for guardsman..."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Guard and Tau are very shooty, I agree with the meatsheilds infront of lots of ranged shooters. Throw up a screen of IGs, then have broadsides or skyrays and lots of Russes. Maybe some basalisks or cadian pattern sentinals. shoot at everything that moves. If it stops moving, shoot it again. If it is still moving, "Rail gun can fix it!"

·
Registered
84 Posts
Best bet will be large IG strongholds with a mobile Tau behind to plug gaps. Go with large infantry platoons each packing heavy autocannons and a Tau FoF behind it. Anything gets close to your line, FoF it along with the IG line until it stops coming at you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just thought i'd say that I'm the guard player, and i'm quite happy to act as cannon fodder (i have a ridiculous amount of standard guardsman in my cupboard). I'd just like to know how I can help most in a cannon fodder position!

·
Registered
100 Posts
ummm...die? but you know, not to quickly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anti-Paladin, I think it would be best to come up with some sort of army list. I think the best way to be a good body shield would be to have a few consprict platoons. (think 50 conscripts and a commisar at their rear) Then have lots of guardsmen and 9 basalisks or big tanks with good distance. Have plenty of heavy weapons (or plasma guns if you're going to be on the move) in your guardsmen platoons and a few squads with chimeras so they can rush forward on turns 5-6. I think you'll want a large line (static or moving together) of men to deter assaults on the Tau. Best thing is to sit down with your tau ally and find out what he is bringing. If he's planning on being mobile, you let him be your counter assault help. Simple ideas like that. Your army combination should be able to outshoot theirs, so make sure you aim to do that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Given that none of us have gotten round to buying the apocalypse rulebook, I think it would be safe to assume it's not an apocalypse game.

I should probably also point out I'm very new to collecting Imperial Guard, and I'll be buying one tank - probably either a Leman Russ, or a Basilisk, before the game. This will be the ONLY tank I can put on the board. I plan on getting more in the near future, but probably not before the game. This, in my view, seriously limits my ability to do anything other than cannon fodder. I also have 20 Storm Troopers, 5 ratlings, and about 6 standard squads + loads of officers.

What's people's views on vox-casters? Are they actually worth the points in a game like this?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I find Veteran Sergreants to be better than Vox Casters. In games 2k+ I still take Veteran Sergreants but I have a HSO on a Vox Network aided with a Company Standard. This will give you amazing leadership that is rockhard.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By the way its 3000 a side probly approx 2000 T'au 1000 guard v 2000 eldar 1000 necrons. thanks for the advice :grin: I have about 50 fw, 30 kroot, 1 devilfish, 2 railhead and several different battlesuits. hopefully wel be able to deploy in one corner and pummel/guard swamp everything that moves.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm in this battle
thing is I need to learn the rules and I don't have many necron models
can anyone reccommend what I should do

(I really don't get why I'm teaming with wolf. and eldar, I mean Eldar and necrons just don't get along)

I really only have 20 necron warriors, 3 destroyers, 1 heavy destroyer, 5 crappy scarabs, a lord, and both ctan

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm in this battle

(I really don't get why I'm teaming with wolf. and eldar, I mean Eldar and necrons just don't get along)

I really only have 20 necron warriors, 3 destroyers, 1 heavy destroyer, 5 crappy scarabs, a lord, and both ctan
Honestly, there is no reason Necrons would ever team up with anyone. The way you should look at it is your Necrons have a goal to accomplish and it is better achieved by not attacking the Eldar as their objective helps further yours.

It looks like you've got a good start to an army. Your Scarab Swarms are by no means crappy. I think they are really good. They're great for tieing up expensive elite units or I belive you can give them disruptor fields and have them go after tanks.

A few solid blocks of Necron Warriors, Destroyers, and a squad Immortals with a Necron Lord with Res orb and you're in like Flynn.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm in this battle

haha, well thats obvious
i guess obsidian and frodo didn't wanna team up with you?
and like as if i had a choice, haha
na, its all gewd, ill handle it
also, note guys:
our armies dont have to be balanced right? so, the weighting of eldar to necrons could be 60/40 right?
and ill get konekochan to post in this thread, she needs to know whats going on, considering she is, like, the wolves player after all

·
Registered
84 Posts
Okay, army list wise for the IG is pretty simple, but I disagree with Skr121. A massive conscript army a) won't have the same level of dakka as a platoon army, but more importantly b) if the enemy gets into assault, while those 50 cons will be hard to break, they're also going to completely cut off the LOS of the squads behind them for the entire time they're in combat.

I say go platoons and heavy weapons but concentrate on anti-infantry gear like ACs and heavy bolters. Let your Tau ally lay out the railguns for anti-armor. As IG, concentrate on having as many individual squads in play as possible, with as many hardened vets and storm troopers as you can field, preferably infiltrated ahead of your line as dummy units to draw assaults away from your gun line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey ppl, i should be doing my japanese, but what the hell. im the space wolf player in this game, in my whole collection i have about 5 tanks, heaps of special characters and loads of units. thats not very helpful, is it? ill have to learn what my units are called.... im only posting now at request of wolf.

·
Registered
598 Posts
haha, i told her she needs to read this thread to know whats going on, thats all:eek:k:
also, each team will have to fill a force organization chart but each single army doesn't necessarily have to conform to that. ie, IG could provide all the troop choices, with T'au providing the heavy support instead of IG

·
Registered
31 Posts
Honestly, there is no reason Necrons would ever team up with anyone. The way you should look at it is your Necrons have a goal to accomplish and it is better achieved by not attacking the Eldar as their objective helps further yours.

It looks like you've got a good start to an army. Your Scarab Swarms are by no means crappy. I think they are really good. They're great for tieing up expensive elite units or I belive you can give them disruptor fields and have them go after tanks.

A few solid blocks of Necron Warriors, Destroyers, and a squad Immortals with a Necron Lord with Res orb and you're in like Flynn.
thanks, that actually makes me feel a lot better, the thing is I would have wraiths, pariahs, immortals and flayed ones, but you have to buy them one at a time, and your scarab strategy sounds really good, I think I'll get some flayed ones and immortals, maybe (if i have the cash) a monolith
Thanks again

1 - 20 of 20 Posts