Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Pally-HO!!!!
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you guys are prolly gonna think im a total nublet but i simply CANNOT use my land raider effectively. It has yet to survive a single game, and has even embarrased me by being blown up due to no more than TWO genestealers.
i like to use it mostly as a mobile gun platform, often shooting at the same target as my snipers or softening up an enemy unit before charging with another
any suggestions or corrections on how the raider is really supposed to be use would be welcome

·
Registered
784 Posts
Is it your only tank on the board? If so that may be part of your problem. Its a pretty high profile target which makes it a bullet magnet. You need to support it with other high profile targets to keep your enemies anti tank on it heels. In my experience most Land Raiders don't live through probably 80% of the games they're used in. Its just the nature of the beast which is unfortunate. :mad:

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I've got 4 suggestions

1) As blo said get something else which the enemy will want to destroy as well so that only half the amount of firepower is heading towards your Land Raider. If its your only tank this is even more important as ALL the enemies anti-tank will be going toward it. Buy a Pred or a Vindicator or something like that to take some of the heat away.

2) Get hulldown and use cover. Try and find a good postion where the LR is hulldown but still able to target a good vairty of units. If you have to move, use cover to block line of sight. Think of the LR like a lone wolf. Pick your targets and use cover. If you don't 'have' to move. Don't. You may be moving into a feild of enemy fire you havn't seen.

3) Prioritise your targets. For example for the LR any vechile based anti-tank i.e. Eldar Prisms, SM/CSM Preds/LRs, IG Russes, Tau Hammerheads and Battlesuits etc. These should be number One on your list of targets. Hell you've got the weapons to deal with them.

Number Two should be infantry based anti-tank and CC monsters i.e. IG HW Teams, Eldar Fire Dragons, SM/CSM Termies/Vets/DPs/Commanders, Tryanid Big Creatures etc

If they are Mech units they should be a One point Five

Number Three is everything else.

4) Support it with other units. A LR isn't going to be able to stand up to everyhting that the enemy has to throw at it and just keep on going. It needs to be supported by the other units in your army. If you see a Deamon Prince going for it and you have a choice between that and a unit of Lesser Deamons that are just not doing much to shoot at with a Dev Squad then take the DP down first as you can't rely on a LR to kill it by itself. That may sound a little like overkill but we are talking about a 250 point + unit here, its worth protecting. If you use the LR to take out any anti-tank in the army quickly then you have a vechile that many units can't touch and its going to really help you win the game even if your other units arn't doing as well.

I'm not saying protect it at any cost I'm just saying that using it in conjunction with other units is very important.

Lecture over lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
or secret option number 5 - Stop using the Land Raider. In my experience it is a very expensive jack of all trades master of non tank.

If you are using it as a transport and moving 12" you don't get to shoot, and if you are using it as a gun platform you are paying a premium for the ability to tranport troops which you are not using.

Simply put there are cheaper ways to get the job done - Drop Pods or Las Cannon Preds. Hell for an extra 10 - 20 points you can get 2 preds for 1 LR and thore extra HB shots will help against Genestealers.

I have a SM LR a LR Crusader and a Forgeworld Pre Heresy Chaos LR and sadly they spend all of their time on a shelf.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I agree with Urban Knight on this one. The reason your LR is not doing well is because they are not good tanks. They cost a lot more points than they are worth.

If you want mobile firepower then get two predator annihilators with heavy bolter sponsons. It costs a fraction more, but gives you more firepower (even one pred has more shots on the move) and puts it in two places, so you don't have to worry about the whole thing dying to two lucky Genestealers.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Land Raiders will be a more attractive option when the 5th Edition 40k Rules are released -- so long as the rumours are fairly accurate. Also Land Raiders are lots of fun and "just look right" in Apocalypse games so for now there's that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Land Raiders will be a more attractive option when the 5th Edition 40k Rules are released -- so long as the rumours are fairly accurate. Also Land Raiders are lots of fun and "just look right" in Apocalypse games so for now there's that.

Agreed, Legion-Brother!

I find standard landraiders just don't fit the bill for anti-tank work. I try to match up my tanks against infantry units (especially mechanized advancing ones) that have little in the way of anti-tank. I include units that have melta guns in this one if I can safely stay out of their range while engaging them. Ditto for my devastators. They nail the ordinance tanks, standard tanks, and then anything that's a big threat after that. Tanks can not slug it out with anti-tank infantry units.

Ever thought of using a Crusader? You could convert one using 6 storm bolters from the vehicle accessory sprue or trade your friends' bitz box. I myself have one for my Space Wolves army (think 15 bloodclaws...)

But my all time favourite (and most useful IMHO) LR variant is the Prometheus.

Granted its, Forgeworld, but FW rules for variants of existing vehicles are not overpowered.

You get FOUR twin linked heavy bolters and a storm bolter.

That's averaging 10.5 hits out of twelve shots, being able to move 6"and shoot for full effect while still retaining a transport capability for third of a marine more than a much shorter ranged Crusader. It I don't think there anything that touches its anti-infantry/skimmer capacity for only one FOC slot.

Just remember to have more threatening units on the field for your opponent to worry about and shoot at.

I like to use my tank(s) as clean up boys for my dev squad(s). They sklk aroudn out of LOS until they can deal with an isolated portion of an opposing army. They deal with the flankers and deepstrikers while much tougher, more effective firepower unit(s) get placed in commanding fire lanes to duke it out with my opponents top units.

You would be surprised how survivable a tank can be when you play conservatively with it and don't expect it to blast everything in sight and dominate the board.

That's usually what happens because red shirts get rookie pumped to buy one after explaining how "killy" it is.

·
Registered
182 Posts
But my all time favourite (and most useful IMHO) LR variant is the Prometheus.
I am glad that someone else sees the beauty of the Variant. IMO it is a diamond in the ruff. I have won more games using this variant, and to stay on topic it always survies. Most people have ignored it beacuse it is only armed with Hvy Bolters, and by the time they realize how effective it is. It's 14 armour will keep it around.

·
Registered
517 Posts
But, suppose you are doing a Deatheing army, or something similar with a lot of terminators? Does that somehow make the LR more usefull?

I hope I didn't make a huge mistake when I bought one...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Land Raiders will be a more attractive option when the 5th Edition 40k Rules are released -- so long as the rumours are fairly accurate.
Woah! just let me get this straight there is a 5th edition coming soon? I have to go out and buy another $80 rulebook! No way! I'm not learning a whole bunch of new rules!:angry:

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
Muhahahahhahaha! Yes, yes. All the fools now realize the folly of buying a rulebook three months before the new one comes out!!

Well, judging by the rumors, it'll be somewhere around end of July/September.

-Dirge.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
nevertheless, to play now, at your local, or at tournies, you need to have a copy of the rulebook.

oh, and land raiders are great. so keep it on topic.

·
Banned
801 Posts
Not really. Their strengths as a transport and a fire-support weapon are at cross-purposes, so you can't use both effectively. Predators are better fire platforms, Rhinos are far more cost-effective transports for infantry, and the Land Raider Crusader holds more troops, gives them frags, and is far more effective once you've dumped the payload.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
suggestion

1: rip off Lascannon
2: Rips off heavy bolters
3: replace lascannons with Hurricane bolters
4: replace Heavy bolters with Assault cannons
5: glue on multi melta
6: spit on normal useless Landraider

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's a Land Raider Crusader I use which seems to me as a good deal better than a plain Land Raider. The Prometheus sounds great (reroll a reserve roll = yes please!), and only £16 for the upgrade kit from Forge World... I might just eventually buy that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i would only take a landraider in fun games and even then wouldnt expect it to survive. its a built magnet (not even the best bth) but thats what its does, every one goes hhhmmm very expensive tank with vertual no guns (pauseses) :grin::grin::laugh:

if you want fire power go predator
if you want transport go rhino- drop pod

imo
martin

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
I have a LR just so it can soak up Lascannon and ML rounds. Not much else. Sometimes I use it as a taxi for my Termies, but I find far more often my Crusaders can mush anything that comes near to paste. I'd rather replace the Hurricane bolters with those Prometheus heavy bolters, though.

-Dirge

1 - 20 of 36 Posts