Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had this Land Raider model since the very first week these models were released. Yeah, I procrastinated a bit. When I bought the kit I was all gung-ho to "chaos" it up with spikes, chains, skulls and all the other bits and crap from the kit. I liked it back then, but seriously regret it now. Hindsight is a bitch. After painting my other Land Raider a vindicator and most recently a rhino, I felt it was well past due to give this one some love.
I don't think it was my best effort to be honest. Maybe because I don't really like the way I assembled it with the side sponsons up front and all the other crap too. Oh well, it works... for now.

Sorry for all the text, on to the pics.

Some "action" shots:

Group photo:

The clear coat finish on the latest Land Raider is a bit off from the other tanks as I ran out of the GW matte spray I was using. I used a different "matte" spray and it is more semi gloss. I will give it a coat of proper matte when I get a new can.
And once again, the Red Corsairs logo is freehand.

Let me know what you think.

EDIT: I totally forgot to paint a corsairs logo on the one side door... doh! I guess I am not done with this bastard yet...

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that looks amazing. :). Show us pics of your whole army :p.
I pretty much just did... :laugh:

I have 2 squads of zerkers and only 5 red corsairs done at the moment. I am currently working on a project that is even older than this Land Raider!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent work, as always, Unforgiven. Those are some badass vehicles.
Thanks!

How about painting up those ruins? :p
They are painted. Primer is a form of paint... :p

I plan on getting them done at some point, but right now I have my Red Corsairs army and my sons Evil Suns to work on also. It is never ending...

·
Registered
699 Posts
...I don't think it was my best effort to be honest. Maybe because I don't really like the way I assembled it with the side sponsons up front and all the other crap too. Oh well, it works... for now.
I think it looks good. It says "Chaos" without looking Mad Max post apocalyptic over-the-top. A few chains and the gargoyle heads is the right way to go. None of those stupid metal spike picket fences BS.
As for the sponsons, I think that not only do they look good, but they should all be in the front. From a gaming stand point it brings your weapons like an inche or two closer to your enemy. From a modeling stand point, it would make sense to have the troop hatches behind the damn gun and NOT infront of it. Nothing ruins your day like a las shot to the face when you're getting out of your vehicle.
I think we've all been brainwashed into thinking that the sponsons in the back is the "right" way to do it.

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
As for the sponsons, I think that... they should all be in the front. ...it would make sense to have the troop hatches behind the damn gun and NOT infront of it. Nothing ruins your day like a las shot to the face when you're getting out of your vehicle.
This pretty much says it. I had been staring at the group photo trying to work out what looked wrong with the one on the right until I read this comment. It makes no sense having the hatch in front of the guns really, particularly since they look like they'd foul the hatch too.

That said they are your models and they look good! :) The only thing that looks odd about them both now is that they are different so your eye is drawn to the differences.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it looks good.
Thank you.

As for the sponsons, I think that not only do they look good, but they should all be in the front. From a gaming stand point it brings your weapons like an inche or two closer to your enemy. From a modeling stand point, it would make sense to have the troop hatches behind the damn gun and NOT infront of it. Nothing ruins your day like a las shot to the face when you're getting out of your vehicle.
I think we've all been brainwashed into thinking that the sponsons in the back is the "right" way to do it.
The gaming advantage of mounting them forward is less of a point than the aesthetics of the model to me. I would rather have a sharp looking model first and foremost. I like the look of the rear mounted sponsons a lot better. It has a "faster look" while the forward mounts look heavy and slow. Just my tastes.

Thanks for the positive words.:victory:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Like it. Chaotic is in the name really. Why should everyone's LRs be the same. Having mixed up weapon mounts is aesthetically pleasing in my eyes. A nice job on a big vehicle. +rep and such

EDIT: Ok, so I have to spread the love a bit first...

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice mate, i think it looks great and fits really smartly with the others. i can't help but feel that the top front door needs something though. Maybe another of your beautifully painted claws logos. It just looks a little plain from the side on shot.
Thanks for the positive feedback and comments.

I was thinking that a logo on the assault ramp upper door would look good too, but, I can't help but think it might get a cluttered look if I do that though.

I'll put it to a vote: Red Corsair's logo on the front upper door? Yes or No.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I dont think you need to add anything to the front door personally speaking, so its a no from me.

A very well painted model. It has an abused, 'I dont care about my tank' sort of look, so very fitting to Chaos. I event think the missing logo on the other door is quite characterful and would leave it as is.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Nice work unforgiven. Good looking tanks. Look like they have copped the usual amount chaos abuse.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Awsome stuff! Have some Rep!

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Looks fantastic! great job on the free hand claw! looking forward to more

1 - 20 of 20 Posts