Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Iron Hands' clan companies each have such a massive rolling fortress on Medusa as their mobile headquarters. Then my interest was roused when a friend linked me:
http://www.graffitiwithpunctuation.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ME_London.jpg

An image of the London City Crawler from the Mortal Engines post apoc series. Which I hear Peter Jackson is interested in movielizing.

Picture a dystopic future, where the big cities of the world has been mounted on massive tracked units, driving around and cannibalizing lesser cities to feed their forges. Hence the moniker 'Predator Cities'

The series can be gotten on amazon in both book and ebook format. Bought the 4pack myself as Im a sucker for good postapoc reading.

But it gives me quite a wibe of the world of Medusa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predator_Cities

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
That is pretty impressive artwork. Having a penchant for post-apoc stuff I must look these books up.

However, the squats had the monopoly on things like this long before the IHs did. Not quite the scale of what you posted above, but I think might be a bit closer to what the Medusans use.

Collossus.

Leviathon.

Land train.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well yeah, the Mecanicum have the Ordinatus war engines, which is on the same scale as those warengines of the squats. I remember the Cyclops, a giant cannon on tracks.

·
Closet Dictator
3,429 Posts
That's a myth. I did and they haven't. :grin:
You have to be naked with an apple in your mouth and your wife streaming it to youtube!

On topic, I might try these books, I love post apoc stuff and airships, I'm bogged down in the heresy series with mark of calth and have lost all interest t.b.h

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
the squats had the monopoly on things like this long before the IHs did.
Indeed, got a good chuckle off seeing these classic's. Still waiting for them to spring out of their hidden Cryo-Chambers and beat the Necrons to death.

On topic though it is an interesting picture that you paint with the image of the rolling castle (reminded me more of Howe's Moving Castle than anything else). I think though these fortress would be massive; I mean large enough to see from space. I'm not sure such a feat is possible, even for the mighty Astarte?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Imperator titans have a whole gothic castle on their backs. Orbital satelite imagery is quite good even in our days, unless you meant seen unaided by any mechanical means.

But I vaguely recall mentions of Land trains on medusa as well, though its not likely battle trains alike what the squats had. Finished Predator Cities btw, they should quite please any warhammer fans. Hunting old tech (archaeotech for the 40kers) is a major point of them.

But to get back to such land behemoths, the Imperial Guard still retains the Leviathan command center which shares much in appearances with the squat colossus. I vaguely seem to recall that the imperium originally got it from the squats?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Barsoom series (John Carter) has mobile cities on the wastelands of Mars. The film made it all look really quite good too.

Honsou's mechanicum allies have a Black Basilica, some kind of chaos leviathan.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Calth and Terra make explicit mention of them - although considering the nature of them, are not only anti-gravitic powered, but more for defensive purposes rather than habitation.
???

Calth didn't have any superorbital plates. In Know No Fear it says that, "There is already talk of a projected superorbital plate. Like Terra. Terra has superorbital plates. The master worlds of the Imperium have plates." So no plates...yet. And, to my knowledge, they never got the plates.

And the ones on Terra also had some habitation.

Kasper from Prospero Burns mentions him staying on the Terran superorbital Lemurya in "luxury suites".

In the short story, "Hands of the Emperor", we're given the description of another plate, Arcus. It has a "metropol-platform" (aka, a habitation platform). It also notably " wasn't a military installation, and boasted no defensive weaponry of its own."

Those are the rare occasions that we've been given any real information on the superorbital plates (granted just off the top of my head). Do you have some citations of purely defensive plates?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Bit of both, you're on fire. I'm getting old, plus I've spent the last few weeks vegging out after a car accident decided to try and rearrange my pelvis into the general area of my clavicle, and two months of jeremy kyle and dotty old people in hospital and hospital staff who seem to think that doing phys in a wheel chair is "damaging" has driven me a bit loopy. Or, more so, I should say.

I guess I'm just going back into the habit of skim reading, where I picked up the gist without properly reading it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 17 of 17 Posts