Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I've been thinking quite abit about the following so I wanted to share this with other wargammers and get some advice really and what you guys think or if anyone else has been through this at all.

I use to play Warhammer 40k way back in 4th/5th edition, I was not much of a painter back then but I wasn't bothered much, I just enjoyed the painting / game overall.

I got back into, or trying to at least, warhammer 40k in 7th edition and decided to go with a grey knight army. Now, i was suuuper excited and very keen to get going. I purchased my army and started painting.

Not to my surprise, my painting is not the standard i want it to be. Now i dont want to sound all emo like or as if im crying / complaining but for me, the lack of painting skills or the overall quality of my work makes me lose motivation for the game at an alarming rate. I'm even at the point where I would Ebay my entire army just because the paint jobs are not good enough.

Have you guys experienced something like this? If so how do you look past this and carry on, because to me having a well painted army is a very important thing, however when you lack the skills to produce what you want its very discouraging.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Very recognisable mate. I tend to take long breaks between my paint work and usually can't help myself but strip previous painted minis. Now almost done with a 5 man assault squad, which took me almost 3 years after a lot of starting and stopping and stripping them 5 times. It gets better with practice and I do keep some of my earliest minis to compare and see how much progress I made.

Totally understand the frustration, but remember: Rome wasn't built in a day and practice makes perfect. Keep at it and eventually you'll be painting stuff you're proud to show off!

If you want I'll send you some how to's and a collection of links to tutorials.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew i wasn't the only one out there:laugh: The how to's and tutorials would be most welcome, thank you.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Meant to sent as a message, but it was too long so I'll just copy paste it here :)

So as not to spam the forum too much:

From the warp; this was my starting point for a lot of basic stuff, how to get clean highlights and how to do a proper basecoat, etc. Lots of intermediary and advanced stuff as well, this blog focusses mostly on GW stuff. http://fromthewarp.blogspot.nl/p/archives-and-tutorials.html

If you fancy some more advanced stuff you can't go wrong with massive voodoo, which are excellent painters of all models: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.nl/2009/10/tutorial-overview.html

English isn't their first language so some slip ups here and there but the quality they put out is amazing. I usually look at their step by step model tutorials and use some parts that I can apply to my own stuff.

Tale of painters: http://taleofpainters.blogspot.de/search/label/Tutorials
Have a lot of how-to paint specific colour schemes, so if you are looking for some inspiration there's a lot there.

Those three sites combined should last you a while ;) If you have any specific questions I might help with, don't hesitate to ask!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Well something you might not have considered is that GW have changed their paint range twice in the last 5 or so years and the new range is excellent but also possibly different to what you were using before (if you're using citadel paints that is) With base paints you only need one or possibly 2 thin layers to get good coverage whereas the layer paints might need a few more.

Also the shades are your best friend :)

Other than that, buying a few cheap second hand models on ebay to practice on might be a good idea too in order to get you back into it before you paint your GKs and as Matcap suggested, following other people's painting exploits and tutorials cap help a lot too

·
Closet Dictator
3,435 Posts
I feel your pain, unfortunately if you lack natural talent then time and practice painting is the only thing you can do, my ambition far outways my ability and I am litarally years putting my army together since getting back into the hobby when I joined the forum. My advice, plan what you want to do with your army as in paint scheme and ant particular theme you want to run through your army, stick with the plan and fish through the tutorial modelling painting sections of this forum, it is and endless and bountiful sea of inspiration and advice

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Motivation issues are an occupational hazard I'm afraid. Particuallry when it comes to painting. The issue I have is if I don't know how to paint something i won't until I find a tutorial how to. Always ave a good look online for tutorials, youtube will always have a massive range from begginner to very advanced stuff. Particuarly the GW tutorials they do. They are top notch and produce effective results without having amazing technique, as lots of colour are used rather than loads of blending and such.

GW tutorials are always a good place to start as the textures are often transferable. I also highly recommend the How to Paint CItadel Miniature book, I've used the Tomb Kings guide and its so simple to produce good reuslts fast

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My two tropes are: Don't do anything you're not confident you can do well without trying or experimenting first. Identify your limitations, work around them if you want painted models now, and practice until you can expand those limitations. Unfortunately, models are a very unforgiving medium to experiment on unless they're metal, cause you can always strip off metal easily.

And youtube videos are a godsend, especially the GW ones with that same guy. those are extremely helpful, follow how he does things and you WILL have very similar results to him.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Having just finished up 30 Ork boyz, all I can say is KISS (keep it simple stoopid).
I demotivated myself massively when I first started painting in the beginning by focussing too much on details and getting bogged down in the sheer scale of the challenge I set myself.
Now I undercoat with a black or metallic spray, keep my base coats to a max of 3 or 4 colours, wash, and highlight.
The only models I spend real time on are the characters, mainly because they are more interesting to paint, but also because they are the centrepieces.
I find having a unifying theme is helpful too. My first mob of Ork boyz are terrible, all different colours with weird combinations and odd basing. They stand out like a sore thumb on the table, but I keep them as they are as I like to look at how I started, and how far I have come. But I never would have been able to do my whole army like that, it would have taken forever and I would have given up.
Give yourself a break, don't beat up on yourself, not everyone is a Golden Demon winner. But it is massively satisfying to field your own painted force in the end, that's worth quite a bit too.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
I think you should start a Project Log. It allows people to see your work currently and give advice on what you're doing right and wrong and how to improve. Most importantly it gives confidence in your own work.

It's why I started my log, sure my painting is far from being good, but just by having people look at my work, good or bad, I've now got confidence. Also thanks to the Plog, I've now got confidence in my own models that I'm actually gaming with them, semi regularly too.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just going to echo what a lot of people have said here, practice, my painting was god awful when I first started now it's pretty good but it's taken a lot of time to get where I am and I know I'm still far from where I want to be. Though I will add two bits of advice, these two things have helped me come along in leaps and bounds.

1. Use flow improver with your paints, it thins down your paints making them easier to blend and it will stop your paintwork looking blotchy, some people use water but I find this leaves your paintwork with a chalky look to it whereas the flow improver doesn't do this

2. If you can find a copy then get the gw 'eavy metal' painting guide. It's no longer in production so check eBay, gumtree etc and as it's a few years old it references the old paint range but if you Google citadel paint conversion chart you should be able to see what new paints replaced the old ones. It's full of helpful tricks of the trade and step by step guides to seriously help your painting.

Keep at it mate, there's few things more satisfying in this hobby than painting a beautiful army and knowing you did it all, having other gamers come up and check out your army during a game then return with their friends to show them too. Good luck my friend

·
Registered
117 Posts
Techniques and difficulty may also vary according to the models you would like painting. Which armies/models do you have in mind (or work) ?

After that, my advises would be :

- Don't aim for the high level from the start, or you'll be soon disappointed ... do your best at every step, and your best will become better and better with time and practise.

- Start up from the basic models towards the specific/more detailed onces (i.e. test your skills and colour schemes upon basic troops with usual weapons before taking care of Leaders, special weapons or Independent Characters).

- If the results aren't satisfying, do not waste time removing the painting from the models you have just worked upon. Pick up unpainted ones and redo the process. It will still be time to paint the former ones again once you have mastered your own process (and it will give you a most pleasing view of your progress, with more models painted - even if some need to be painted again in the future).

Some additional resources (web tutorials, ...) and equipment (modelling table lamp with magnifyer glass, ...) are also great assets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts